PDA

View Full Version : Carve Region Size

Bigtyme
02-03-2013, 11:07 AM
This may be a really "not so smart" question, but here goes. I thought I saw a similiar question earlier, but can't seem to find it. I am attempting to build a sled to hold 4" square pieces of corian. I thought I could simply create a carve region 4" square and .5" deep to become a carrier within a larger board, but after carving, the actual size was slightly larger than 4" and the corian pieces can move slightly. Does the 1/16" carving bit center on the size of the carve region and can it be changed to have the exterior size match the exterior of the bit ?? Or maybe I just did something else incorrectly. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

bergerud
02-03-2013, 11:27 AM
You need to use the 1/8 cutting bit. The carving bit is tapered and will not give a pocket with vertical sides. Look at the carrier board I use for the dust shoe.

Bigtyme
02-03-2013, 11:32 AM
Great suggestion. I and wondered about the taper. Will the 1/8" cutting bit (if called for in the carve) cut to the max of the size and no more??

bjbethke
02-03-2013, 11:45 AM
This may be a really "not so smart" question, but here goes. I thought I saw a similiar question earlier, but can't seem to find it. I am attempting to build a sled to hold 4" square pieces of corian. I thought I could simply create a carve region 4" square and .5" deep to become a carrier within a larger board, but after carving, the actual size was slightly larger than 4" and the corian pieces can move slightly. Does the 1/16" carving bit center on the size of the carve region and can it be changed to have the exterior size match the exterior of the bit ?? Or maybe I just did something else incorrectly. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Use the Snap to Grid function and adjust the Square to fit the grid.

bergerud
02-03-2013, 11:46 AM
The 1/8 cutting bit would not actually be "carving" but following a path. It can be offset to cut inside the path and give exactly the size you want. See the mpc I posted. The cutting bit is used to follow some rectangles to make the pocket ledge and then to cut out a rectangular hole in the middle. You can just alter it to do what you want.

mtylerfl
02-03-2013, 01:22 PM
Great suggestion. I and wondered about the taper. Will the 1/8" cutting bit (if called for in the carve) cut to the max of the size and no more??

Hi John,

I did a couple Tips & Tricks videos covering this topic and outlining a few techniques that might help you.

Here is the link to both videos:

http://www.carvewright.com/support-page/getting-started/tutorials/tips-tricks/pocketcuts/

badbert
02-03-2013, 01:31 PM
I have always done exactly like you. never had a problem. I do Lithos in a 3 step carve. I carve a carve region on the back. Then I put the acrylic in the pocket. If there is any movement (usually a non measurable amount) , I use masking tape along the edges. I make my carve region and material with a 1/4 border. 8.5" x 10.5". Then on the front of the board, I carve the frame and make the 8 x 10 cut-out. I wonder if you subtract .031 from carve region, would there be any movement?

myshop1044
02-03-2013, 01:51 PM
Bigtyme here is a MPC. used to do what you are talking about. I used a 1/8" cutting and 1/2" straight bit to mill out the middle.
The first sq. is 3.875 and 1/8" bit will give you 4" sq with small curve corners, then I reduced each sq.(center center) by .5 width
until you reach the middle and used a 1/2 bit on each pass to mill out to the middle.
This took about 24 min to do. I also used a 1" x 6" x 11" to start off with.
I hope this helps

Perry B.

bergerud
02-03-2013, 02:13 PM
I do not understand why you guys go to all the trouble to mill out the whole pocket when you can just mill the perimeter and cut a big hole in the middle. It also makes it easy to push out the piece in the end.

myshop1044
02-03-2013, 02:40 PM
Bergerud, you are correct. but Bigtyme wanted to cut a 1/2" recess in a 3/4" board and machine can do it. The MPC I attached
I don't use anymore. I use 1/2" hardwood from Lowes's craft section and put in on 1/2 plywood bottom. I have access to a lot of 1/2 and 3/8"
plywood, so it's faster. I have 12 different sleds maded the same way for all my muiltple carve projects. Here is one I have used for Corian
cutouts of all different shapes and sizes.

Perry B.

Bigtyme
02-03-2013, 03:08 PM
This is why I love this forum and the people on it. All great advice and procedures. I also appreciate the MPCs which I know will help me understand a whole lot better. Much appreciated to all...
Thank you.