PDA

View Full Version : RingNeckBlues Helper Shoe

bergerud
02-01-2013, 02:40 PM
Here is an idea I had a long time ago that I think someone should have a go at. The overhead dust collectors cannot help but miss some of the fast moving chips that head away from the intake. After all, there is no way a flow driven by a <15 lb/sq in pressure difference (vacuum) can stop the high speed chips from a 20000 rpm bit. These chips have to be physically stopped before they can be sucked up. That is why the Dust Cap and the Dust Shoe work so well - they physically stop and contain the chips. Why not use the dust shoe idea to block the chips and to redirect the chips to the intake of the RingNeckBlues collector? I have attached a simple cut down of a Dust Shoe for you to consider the point. The shoe has no pipe and fits under the bit plate. Very simple, just bolt it on. With a half a brush, I think it could make a big difference.

Take a look at the mpc and think about it. I do not have a RNB collector to experiment with. One of you guys could take this on and see if it might work. Feel free to use or chop up any shoe mpc I have posted. (I do not think the attached mpc should actually be carved, I only chopped up the shoe to demonstrate the idea.)

DickB
02-01-2013, 03:59 PM
I was thinking about that myself. Thanks for posting the file. I may give it a try. I don't have a Ringneck collector but one similar.

I still don't see how you get a brush long enough to stop the chips in the direction of the just-carved max depth area.

bergerud
02-01-2013, 04:39 PM
I was thinking about that myself. Thanks for posting the file. I may give it a try. I don't have a Ringneck collector but one similar.

I still don't see how you get a brush long enough to stop the chips in the direction of the just-carved max depth area.

I was thinking of only having a brush on the yet uncarved area. The carved area is toward the collector and so let the chips go. The idea in my mind was just to stop the chips from going the wrong way. (I may be missing the point you are making?)

(I do not recomend you carve the mpc I posted. I put no thought into how it would carve.)

DickB
02-01-2013, 04:54 PM
Sorry, I jumped topics. My second paragraph was in reference to your shoe.

bergerud
02-01-2013, 05:09 PM
Oh. I know what you are saying and in the case of milling a deep pocket where the chips fly in all directions, they do get away. Carving, however seems to send the chips right up into the shoe. I never see them go backwards. Once in a while, I see a big chip ricochet around and out but not as often as one would think.

fwharris
02-03-2013, 11:02 PM
Dan,

Interesting addition. I will take a longer look at it.

Thanks!

bergerud
02-04-2013, 02:15 AM
Here is something simple that could be carved. I do not know how close the intake of the RNB comes to the shoe. This will need its toe cut down. It should fit under a CT and under the bit plate and be trouble free.

henry1
02-04-2013, 02:58 AM
Dan,

Interesting addition. I will take a longer look at it.

Thanks!
You will like it works very well