PDA

View Full Version : Text Carving Guidelines

kroskam
02-01-2013, 12:44 PM
Does anyone have any guidelines that are tried and true for carving text in wood? I have made a Jewelry Box for my Grandaughters 16th Birthday, and have been trying to print a dedication to her on the bottom, but have ruined several bases because my text either chips out, or just doesn't look right. I have read numerous tips on the forum about carving text such as trading bits when the machine asks for a certain one, and including fonts and carving depths that users have had success with. Can everyone list their proven techniques for successful text carving on this thread so there is one source we can use when we need to carve some text. I do not have the Centerline Software, I only have the basic Designer, and Windows Based Fonts. I do have the entire bit set, so I can utilize them in carving.

henry1
02-01-2013, 12:49 PM
Does anyone have any guidelines that are tried and true for carving text in wood? I have made a Jewelry Box for my Grandaughters 16th Birthday, and have been trying to print a dedication to her on the bottom, but have ruined several bases because my text either chips out, or just doesn't look right. I have read numerous tips on the forum about carving text such as trading bits when the machine asks for a certain one, and including fonts and carving depths that users have had success with. Can everyone list their proven techniques for successful text carving on this thread so there is one source we can use when we need to carve some text. I do not have the Centerline Software, I only have the basic Designer, and Windows Based Fonts. I do have the entire bit set, so I can utilize them in carving.
Put your mpc on here so we can have a look at it and tell you what to do

Rob Mulgrew
02-01-2013, 12:52 PM
One of the keys to avoiding chip out is to apply the correct draft. Try a medium to large draft. If you post the mpc that you are having the trouble with we should be able to help you fix it.
Rob

kroskam
02-01-2013, 01:00 PM
Here is the text I am trying to carve on the bottom of the Jewelry Box.

Rob Mulgrew
02-01-2013, 01:10 PM
I will wait for some of the more experienced members to share their thoughts but I would think that you would want to use raster as opposed to outline for small text like that but I will watch the thread and see what I can learn also.
Rob

aokweld101
02-01-2013, 01:11 PM
Im no expert but Iv'e found out though trial and eror and 600.00 worth of wood that a draft works quite well.

unitedcases
02-01-2013, 01:16 PM
If you are carving raster then draft will slope the sides of the letters. But watch for how much draft you use. I go as little as possible just because I want that letter to stand out if I am using raster. The letter isn't as abrupt and less likely to break or chip.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

TerryT
02-01-2013, 01:46 PM
You are carving your letters in the Outline mode. Way too deep. If you want to carve them in outline change the depth from .250 to .05 and see how that works for you.

kroskam
02-01-2013, 02:11 PM
Ok Terry, I will try it.

henry1
02-01-2013, 02:14 PM
Will this do

kroskam
02-01-2013, 02:48 PM
Thanks Henry. It is not as dramatic, but it will do. Were the letters in my version too deep? I used Outline after reading a post somewhere on the forum that said it worked better for text than Raster.

henry1
02-01-2013, 03:15 PM
Thanks Henry. It is not as dramatic, but it will do. Were the letters in my version too deep? I used Outline after reading a post somewhere on the forum that said it worked better for text than Raster.
Would you like it fancyer will do one right now give me one second

henry1
02-01-2013, 03:19 PM
Here another one

lawrence
02-01-2013, 04:16 PM

Not sure I'd agree with that statement-- every instance is very different...

For what you are trying to accomplish, I'd really (REALLY) recommend the centerline text add on. It completely changes the way that text carves and makes for a much clearer text in small lettering. IMHO it is the best add on by far...

This being said, your carve was pretty deep to be doing an outline with a v-bit- you could go shallower and get a nice carve or go with a raster carve to create "depth" - the "wings" on the v-bits just limit how small you can go deep without the bit itself interfering.

dehrlich
02-01-2013, 05:31 PM
Try the attached. Using the outline with small text doesn't work well and you will get chip out every time. Unless you have centerline it's hard to make text small. All I did was change it to raster, change a couple of the arch profiles, space the letters a bit and resize. Another option would be to just invert all of them and that would fix the chip out for sure. Just my opinion.

Digitalwoodshop
02-01-2013, 06:08 PM
3 very nice mpc's.... Since I have been around since 2007 I remember the days when Centerline Text was NOT and option as it was being reworked from the BETA release. A CarveWright User named Greybeard over in England of all places helped ME out.... He sent me what I call Font Boards.... A mpc with a "A", "B", "C", etc.... Individual letters.... I could cut and paste the whole set from his board on to MY board in designer. I then made Centerline Text SIGNS by picking one letter at a time and copy and paste to duplicate it and move it to a location on my sign. I would spell out whole words one letter at a time and use the domino line up tools to make them even then adjust them side to side for spacing and then size them. AS long as I did not try to do something like change the FONT the copy and past single letters would then CARVE AS CENTERLINE TEXT even though I DID NOT HAVE IT.... You could select V90 or V60.....

You could also send someone a Raster or Outline Text mpc and THEY could convert it to CENTERLINE TEXT.... AS I have done with the file below. I added a blank space in front and behind each word as sometimes you see a black un carved area when you select the text and I have had some text carve missing the outside edges depending on the font.

SO if the software has NOT changed, I made this in 1.184 as that is what I am still using, it should work... You can select the text and change the SIZE or Move it around and it will stay Centerline. By saving the original file and renaming the new file, if it converts back to outline you can start over.

This uses the V60 bit. IF you don't have a V60 bit, since it is so small, I bet the Carving Bit would work.... IF you carved a V90 Text with a smaller V60 Bit a "I" would have a "Y" top and inverted "Y" bottom.... Just a little trivia for centerline text...

The font is "Corbel"

I had a little fun with it... mpc 2 is the font changed to one that IKE shared with me years ago, a VERY NICE font called Monotype Corsiva. IF you don't have it loaded on your computer I believe it will come up on the Font List between 2 where it would go. I included a picture of that one.

Anyone can convert text.... IF this works we should start a STICKY for NON Centerline Text Users to post a mpc that ANYONE with Centerline can post a reply like I did.... I used the Greybeard Font Board to make signs to build up my CA$H that when they finally released Centerline I bought it... So for LHR the Centerline Sticky Conversion Thread would be an Investment in a future Centerline Customer...

Good Luck,

AL

henry1
02-01-2013, 06:10 PM
That nice al but he hasen't centerline software

Digitalwoodshop
02-01-2013, 06:40 PM
The point of the post is to see if someone who DOES NOT have Centerline can load and Cut this file as Centerline Text... Unless the Software has blocked that... In 2007 we could...

This would be a help to him IF it works....

Anyone without Centerline want to give it a try and let us know...

AL

Digitalwoodshop
02-01-2013, 06:55 PM
A GREAT Change to the Designer was the way it handled opening a mpc made by someone else that has a FONT that you don't have on your computer. Many years ago our Carving Buddy ChrisAlb and I were doing a project for a Summer Camp. He made the Artwork and I was cutting them.... I brought the cut signs to him and he gasped... "YOU Changed the FONT!".... Yes, I DID... But did not even know it... Back then Designer just Substituted a close font and did not tell you... He Cut them over.... With the Correct font....

I miss ChrisAlb, he moved, need to call him sometime. This is ALL ChrisAlb's work...

AL

badbert
02-01-2013, 08:20 PM
I can load both of them, Al.

kroskam
02-02-2013, 08:05 AM
Al,
I loaded both MPCs with no problem, and the font is set to Mono Corsiva. A message pops up that says I am using Centerline in Demo mode and can not upload (to my memory card I presume) or save my work. I did upgrade to Version 1.186 in Designer. You said you are at 1.184. I don't know is it makes a difference or not. It appears to me that someone with Centerline can not make an MPC for someone that does not have it. I agree Centerline is great, but if someone wants to carve an occasional text on their projects, and are not making signs or plaques is it worth it?

dehlich's mpc looks pretty good in the designer window, and should carve nicely. I will try it on a test piece to see if it is what I am trying to achieve. I also learned from this thread that Draft plays an important role in text carving. Also the depth of cut is important. I remember reading in a post on this forum (although I can't find it now) that you can switch the bit to a V60 when the machine asks for a V90 and that will also improve small text carving. Is that true?

kroskam
02-08-2013, 09:23 AM
Thank You Dehrlich.

savannah_test1 worked perfectly. I finally got the bottom carved, and I am proceeding with the rest of the Jewelry Box. Thanks for everyone's help on this.

dehrlich
02-08-2013, 10:05 AM
Thank You Dehrlich.

savannah_test1 worked perfectly. I finally got the bottom carved, and I am proceeding with the rest of the Jewelry Box. Thanks for everyone's help on this.

Wow, I helped someone else for a change! Too cool! You are more than welcome, happy to help.