PDA

View Full Version : Edge Routing

nuchie
01-31-2013, 03:28 PM
When I try to edge route with specialty bits I either get X stall or Y stall after starting the cuts. Using 1" pine, also specialty bits smoke and burn the wood.

rcdages
01-31-2013, 03:48 PM
Edge routing best done out of your machine with the hand held router or with a router table.

In order to do the edge on a board your board will leave the rollers in your machine and that is not a good thing.

chief2007
01-31-2013, 05:58 PM
If you do edge rout in the machine, you need to use the multi pass option. It will make several shallow passes that should help to reduce any issues.

badbert
01-31-2013, 07:28 PM
I am really not sure how edge routing "was" supposed to work! In order for it route the ends, the board has to leave the roller on the opposite side. That is a recipe for failure. there are other ways to accomplish what you want! One way is to use a larger board. Draw a path and assign a bit. Use multiple passes at .125 to achieve the results yo want.

DocWheeler
01-31-2013, 07:47 PM
It has been awhile since I used the edge bits, so I don't know if there have been firmware changes in speeds.
However, there is no problem with doing edge-routing in a sled! Just don't route the whole depth of the board.