PDA

View Full Version : Having problems in designer

chkorte
01-30-2013, 09:48 PM
I’ve been having some problems lately with Designer. Little things at first but now it’s becoming a problem. Recently every time I open a project it opens with the grid lines turned on. It’s simple enough to turn them off but I can’t figure out why it started doing it. Next when I place a figure such as a circle, square, line or hole on the project it doesn’t get placed where I clicked to put it. For instance if I want to drill a 1/8” hole directly in the center of the project board I click on the drill function, then place the cross hair at the center mark of the board, then set the depth, click OK and the hole is placed about ¼”below and to the right of the board center. Why? Then when I go to move it, I double click on it to drag it where I want it and instead of a smooth move it’s real jumpy and I can’t get it placed where I want it. Why? Now today I spent several hours working on 4 different scenes for a board. Not being quite sure which one I wanted to use I saved all of them to a folder. When I went back a little later to open in designer I clicked on File, then on Open and go to the folder and none of them are there. When I open My Documents and the folder I saved them in they are all there but not in an mpc format. When I try to open one a window opens up asking what program I want to use to open it. Now when I use Designer, click on File and Open Recent they are all there and open just fine. I am using Designer version 1.186.

fwharris
01-30-2013, 10:20 PM
For the grid, go to "layout" "snap" and uncheck "view grid".

First place I would look for some of the strange/sluggish issues is, how bit is your favorites file? If you have a lot off patterns loaded it will slow down the response in designer.

For the open issue, right click on the file you want to open and go to properties and see what program the file is associated to. If not designer (gui.exe) the click on the change tab and find gui.exe.

badbert
01-30-2013, 10:24 PM
I’ve been having some problems lately with Designer. Little things at first but now it’s becoming a problem. Recently every time I open a project it opens with the grid lines turned on. It’s simple enough to turn them off but I can’t figure out why it started doing it. I need the answer to this one. Seems there should be a preferences for this.
Next when I place a figure such as a circle, square, line or hole on the project it doesn’t get placed where I clicked to put it. For instance if I want to drill a 1/8” hole directly in the center of the project board I click on the drill function, then place the cross hair at the center mark of the board, then set the depth, click OK and the hole is placed about ¼”below and to the right of the board center. Why? It snapped to the grid
Then when I go to move it, I double click on it to drag it where I want it and instead of a smooth move it’s real jumpy Snapping from point to point on the grid
and I can’t get it placed where I want it. Why? First of all, click view> Toggle perspective. Now click layout>snap adjust the grid and it's properties here. You could just uncheck the snap objects to grid box as well.
Now today I spent several hours working on 4 different scenes for a board. Not being quite sure which one I wanted to use I saved all of them to a folder. When I went back a little later to open in designer I clicked on File, then on Open and go to the folder and none of them are there. When I open My Documents and the folder I saved them in they are all there but not in an mpc format.
What format are they in? When I try to open one a window opens up asking what program I want to use to open it. Now when I use Designer, click on File and Open Recent they are all there and open just fine. I am using Designer version 1.186. This is all part of the learning curve. Glad you are learning!

badbert
01-30-2013, 10:26 PM
I missed by 2 minutes! LOL

TerryT
01-31-2013, 05:39 AM
The jerkyness may be the "snap to grid" control. Make sure it is turned off.

chkorte
01-31-2013, 09:49 AM
http://forum.carvewright.com/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by chkortehttp://forum.carvewright.com/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?p=196436#post196436)
"I’ve been having some problems lately with Designer. Little things at first but now it’s becoming a problem. Recently every time I open a project it opens with the grid lines turned on. It’s simple enough to turn them off but I can’t figure out why it started doing it. I need the answer to this one. Seems there should be a preferences for this.
Next when I place a figure such as a circle, square, line or hole on the project it doesn’t get placed where I clicked to put it. For instance if I want to drill a 1/8” hole directly in the center of the project board I click on the drill function, then place the cross hair at the center mark of the board, then set the depth, click OK and the hole is placed about ¼”below and to the right of the board center. Why? It snapped to the grid
Then when I go to move it, I double click on it to drag it where I want it and instead of a smooth move it’s real jumpy Snapping from point to point on the grid
and I can’t get it placed where I want it. Why? First of all, click view> Toggle perspective. Now click layout>snap adjust the grid and it's properties here. You could just uncheck the snap objects to grid box as well.
Now today I spent several hours working on 4 different scenes for a board. Not being quite sure which one I wanted to use I saved all of them to a folder. When I went back a little later to open in designer I clicked on File, then on Open and go to the folder and none of them are there. When I open My Documents and the folder I saved them in they are all there but not in an mpc format.
What format are they in? When I try to open one a window opens up asking what program I want to use to open it. Now when I use Designer, click on File and Open Recent they are all there and open just fine. I am using Designer version 1.186."

Well I have all of my problems fixed except the last one. Thanks everyone for your help. Your sugesstions worked.
The problem with the files I save not opening is still there. I right clicked on the file and then clicked on properties and the window opened and it showes the type of file stored simply as "file" and there is no option to change it.

chkorte
01-31-2013, 10:10 AM
I've been playing around with this problem and had some interesting results. I opened all 5 projects from the "open recent" file. Then I deleted all 5 projects from the folder. Then I did a "save as" and saved them all into a different folder. 4 of them saved as a "carvewright project" and 1 saved as a "file". I've tried deleting and saving again with no success. Next I deleted it from all folders and did a "save as" and changed the name of the project and it finally saved as a "carvewright project" Don't have any idea why.

fwharris
01-31-2013, 03:44 PM
http://forum.carvewright.com/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by chkortehttp://forum.carvewright.com/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?p=196436#post196436)
"I’ve been having some problems lately with Designer. Little things at first but now it’s becoming a problem. Recently every time I open a project it opens with the grid lines turned on. It’s simple enough to turn them off but I can’t figure out why it started doing it. I need the answer to this one. Seems there should be a preferences for this.

As posted below.... For the grid, go to "layout" "snap" and uncheck "view grid".

SteveNelson46
02-01-2013, 11:10 AM
The default view in Windows is to not show the filename extensions (in this case .mpc). Using the Windows Explorer, navigate to the folder where you saved the files. Right click on each of them and select "Rename". Be sure you include the .mpc on the end of the new name.