PDA

View Full Version : Pooling problem

dehrlich
01-30-2013, 05:44 PM
I got a little problem i'm not quite sure the best way to fix. I did an outdoor sign, vector letters painted. I finished it with a couple coats of water base spar urethane, brushed on. After it dried, I noticed that some of the finish pooled in the bottom of the letters resulting in small bubbles and a milky appearance. What is the best way to resolve this? I could paint over it I suppose or try to sand out the excess. Any suggestions?

ladjr
01-31-2013, 08:40 PM
When ever I have had this problem. I use the Demel with a small wire brush

Leo
Life is to short carve something today

Rob Mulgrew
01-31-2013, 09:02 PM
I used to have the same problem and did not know what to do to fix it. So I switched to a spray on spar urethane and it seems to work alot better. I will have to watch this thread to see all solutions to this problem.
Rob

henry1
01-31-2013, 09:05 PM
When ever I have had this problem. I use the Demel with a small wire brush

Leo
Life is to short carve something today
I second that what ladjr said dremel it helps

dehrlich
01-31-2013, 11:24 PM
I actually already fixed the problem. I used my Dremel with a 120 grit bristle wheel to clean out the letters, repainted then used spray urethane to recoat. Came out fine.

unitedcases
02-01-2013, 06:04 AM
Excellent save!

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

lawrence
02-01-2013, 07:00 AM
Glad to hear it- I didn't have much input as my only time using a waterborne urethane for outdoor use was for a test piece and it did not wear well (to say the least)... I'm not trying to discourage you on your choice of finish, but be prepared to sand re-coat fairly regularly to maintain protection. This being said, the paint in your letters should last a very long time before needing to be redone.

I'm glad you got it sorted out!

Lawrence