PDA

View Full Version : Appliques?

keninar
01-29-2013, 07:23 PM
Evening, All. got a request from a friend to carve some appliques for a hanging jewlery box he is making for his daughter. (I made the mistake of pointing him to the Pattern Depot!)

Never having carved an applique before - are the patterns designed as a "pierced" carving? Or are they along the line of a "standard" pattern that one must create a pierced carve from?

Figured the Old Salts 'round here might know.

Thanks again to All for continuous guidance.

ken

fwharris
01-29-2013, 08:09 PM
I believe that the patterns (most) are set up to a normal carve but most can also be carved with the pierced setting. If you can post some links to the patterns you are looking at we might be able give you some more info...

In its broadest sense, an appliqué is a smaller ornament or device applied to another surface.

keninar
01-29-2013, 08:20 PM
Thaks for the response. A carved piece to be applied to a separate surface is what he is thinking. yes, one could carve the image as a standard pattern - but that is a lot of carving if the item could be carved separately then applied.

I can see how these could be carved as a "pierced' project:

But this one:
poses a bit of a problem - or possibly not.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

ken

fwharris
01-29-2013, 08:28 PM
I would say very doable especially if you do a pierced carve. Just make sure the back side of the board has been planed for a smooth flat surface before carving.

keninar
01-29-2013, 09:24 PM
Thanks! I'll see which way he wants to go (which type of pattern) and give it a go.

(After I re-read the Tips and Techniques on how to do a pierced carve!!)

Thanks again

ken

bjbethke
01-30-2013, 01:21 AM
Thanks! I'll see which way he wants to go (which type of pattern) and give it a go.

(After I re-read the Tips and Techniques on how to do a pierced carve!!)

Thanks again

ken
I have lots of images that may work great for you. Here a few. PM me with an e-mail for more. BJB

keninar
01-30-2013, 09:02 PM
Thanks, BJB. I've followed your work for a while now. Great stuff!

Client made a selection:
He (actually his wife) wants this as an applique - cut separately and affixed to the hanging jewelry box frame.

At first blush, I thought the open area in the heart would be quite fragile - but potentially doable.

D/L the pattern as a "Try", placed on a test board, ran an outline of the pattern and applied the cutout to the pattern.

So far so good:

However, the "open heart area" as shown in the first image also has a vector outline - but I cannot apply the cutout to it.

I's sure I am overlooking something obvious - so any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

ken

fwharris
01-30-2013, 10:27 PM
When I brought the pattern in and did not resize it the inside of the heard was not a closed path. When I size it larger I was able to get a closed path.