PDA

View Full Version : Cigar Room Sign

CarverJerry
01-28-2013, 12:13 PM
I don't know anything about Cigars, except that I don't like the smell of them. My son-in-law (to be) is a cigar smoker and has a room just for his cigar smoking. I would like to make him a sign for the door of that room. I'm lost at hand for ideas and am reaching out to see if anyone has any ideas, and or patterns that I can use to make this project happen. If it was up to me it'd say "keep out...or..this place stinks"...but I want to be a nice guy and make something he would like. Any help on this sure would be appreciated greatly. Thanks

badbert
01-28-2013, 01:43 PM
http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?21335-Five-foot-cigar&highlight=cigar

henry1
01-28-2013, 01:47 PM
That a nice cigar is there and mpc on this or a ptn would be nice

CarverJerry
01-30-2013, 01:59 PM
I see we don't have many cigar smokers on our forum. I'm still at a loss for a pattern of a cigar, or a pattern for one of those humidors things used to keep em fresh. Know of any files out there that would help me out on this cigar room sign?

CarverJerry
02-06-2013, 07:56 AM
Ok, well I did find a photo of a nice cigar I'd like to use, but I'm having a little trouble making it round in shape like a real cigar. It wants to be flat, too flat. Can anyone tell me how I can make this come out looking like a real cigar when I carve it? Here is what I have so far.

chebytrk
02-06-2013, 09:15 AM
I used the puff tool (demo) and that did it. Wish I had the 3d program... :D

henry1
02-06-2013, 09:58 AM
have to agree with you to bad for puff tool when you dont have it

CarverJerry
02-06-2013, 11:01 AM
I see the puff tool on my tool bar but it isn't highlighted and didn't see the demo one. How can I get it to try it out? I'm using version 1.185

bergerud
02-06-2013, 11:08 AM
cigar attempt

chief2007
02-06-2013, 11:20 AM
Here is my shot at it.

Done is Designer without the puff tool.

I didn't smooth it too much to keep the texture of the cigar

CarverJerry
02-06-2013, 02:47 PM
Thanks guys. Now Chief, can you tell me how you did that in designer?
Bergerud, I see you used the puffing tool, is there a free demo in our software?

bergerud
02-06-2013, 03:08 PM
Bergerud, I see you used the puffing tool, is there a free demo in our software?

I thought you could use the puffing tool but you just could not carve (or save?). Does the puffing tool not light up for closed figures in your Designer?

chief2007
02-06-2013, 03:42 PM

I made a pattern from the picture you posted, Then rotated it until horizontal, then outlined it. While the outline is still highlighted, I added a Vertical Dome. Then click on the cigar pattern and merge additive. Adjusted the depth and height of both the pattern and the outline (dome) to get the image I wanted. Then with the carving list open, highlight the pattern and outline (path) and group them. Then click the group button and then right click make a pattern.

Works on some stuff, but not everything.

bergerud
02-06-2013, 04:52 PM
Chief, how did you make a pattern when you did not own the original. My hands are tied even when I try and make a pattern involving an outline of another pattern.

chief2007
02-06-2013, 05:12 PM
I made my original pattern from the image that he had posted, I didn't use his .ptn file.

CarverJerry
02-06-2013, 05:48 PM
Bergerud...the puffing icon would not light up for me at all.

Chief, thank you for telling me how you did this. Both of your guys patterns look great to me. Many thanks and I will post the finished sign here when I get it carved.

This forum is such a great help thanks to all the great guys on here.

fwharris
02-06-2013, 06:00 PM
For the puffing tool you need to have a closed path..

Light em if ya got em!!!

CarverJerry
02-06-2013, 07:40 PM
I played around with it using a rectangle around the pic and the icon lite up. Then I was able to puff it, works pretty cool. Thanks for the tip. Is that tool available as a stand alone or do you have to purchase the 3d suite?

chief2007
02-06-2013, 07:44 PM
You have to buy the suite as far as I know.

CarverJerry
02-07-2013, 10:11 AM
I seen it being used at the CNC jamboree last year here in Ohio. Got a little out of it but they went to fast for this old man. Can't imagine how much money one would have if they purchased each and every thing for the designer. I've got $400 into mine and can only do conforming text and the centerline text, both great for doing signs. Being on a fixed income really has its draw backs when it comes to having expensive hobbies....don't get me wrong I'm not complaining, it's just a little out of my reach and these are great products. I was hoping to attend this years jamboree but they raised the price to much where I can't afford to go. Thanks guys

James RS
02-07-2013, 04:37 PM
Here's something I gave a shot at

CarverJerry
02-07-2013, 07:20 PM
Thanks James, I have a piece of wood carving as I speak, just a simple 3 word sign and the cigar in the center at an angle. I'll post a pic of it when I finish it. thanks for posting.

CarverJerry
02-10-2013, 03:27 PM
Ok, here is the project I'm working on with the cigar. It came out really nice for what I wanted for his cigar room door. Now all I have to do is come up with a paint scheme and finish it. Thanks for the help you guys.

Bigtyme
02-10-2013, 03:32 PM
Very nice, Jerry. It came out very well. Can't wait to see the sign after the paint scheme is chosen.....

chief2007
02-10-2013, 04:24 PM
Ok, here is the project I'm working on with the cigar. It came out really nice for what I wanted for his cigar room door. Now all I have to do is come up with a paint scheme and finish it. Thanks for the help you guys.

For the Cigar - use the color scheme from this picture, Then for the lettering something to match the cigar band.