PDA

View Full Version : Gift

James RS
01-27-2013, 03:25 PM
My wife had asked me if I could make a name plaque for a friend of ours for her birthday.
Here's what I have so far, I am putting a clear coat on when the stain dries.
It measures 8 x 11 I used a dxf path for the outside and V carve for the text.
And a clover I got off here some time ago ( Thank You!)

Jim

Bigtyme
01-27-2013, 04:33 PM
Nicely done, James. I like the look very much. I am sure your friend will like it very much.

RogerB
01-27-2013, 04:37 PM
James well done.Like the finish.

b.sumner47
01-27-2013, 05:21 PM
Jim, That really a nice sign. I'd be proud to have a sign like that on my house. Thanks for sharing.

Capt Barry

lawrence
01-27-2013, 11:04 PM
beautiful shape, design, and wood selection-- great looking carve and I'm sure they'll be proud to display it

Lawrence

CNC Carver
01-28-2013, 06:24 AM
James Very nice. I'm sure your friend will love it.

rcdages
01-28-2013, 01:08 PM
James,

Looking very good.

I am sure your wifes friend will love it.

badbert
01-28-2013, 01:39 PM
Great job! It looks elegant!

henry1
01-28-2013, 01:43 PM
Nice sign and well done Jim

TerryWinslow
06-01-2013, 04:46 PM
My wife had asked me if I could make a name plaque for a friend of ours for her birthday.
Here's what I have so far, I am putting a clear coat on when the stain dries.
It measures 8 x 11 I used a dxf path for the outside and V carve for the text.
And a clover I got off here some time ago ( Thank You!)

Jim

What species of wood did you use? Very nice job by the way. I'm a newb and wondering if pine will stain good enough for signs.

seathis
06-01-2013, 05:48 PM
What species of wood did you use? Very nice job by the way. I'm a newb and wondering if pine will stain good enough for signs.

Select Pine stains beautifully. Looks great on signs. Because it is so white. BUT...watch out for cupping. I use it but as I think it was Ike who said, "always seal the cut ends". If it wasn't Ike I apologize to whoever said it. But it was one of the best words of advice I got as a newbie. Seal those newly cut pine ends. fast. Otherwise you might have an unattractive bow in the wood that is not sellable.

Capt Bruce
06-01-2013, 09:46 PM
A very nice gift indeed with your craftsmanship apparent. Nicely done

James RS
06-02-2013, 08:39 AM

Hello and welcome, I used Poplar

Chay
06-03-2013, 10:22 AM
Looking good!

I didn't think poplar wood carve that Well

Capt Bruce
06-10-2013, 09:32 AM
I find poplar from Lowes and Home Depot in my area near Atlanta is usually more consistent quality than select pine and more often available in wider boards like 1 x 12 x 8' or 10'. In this area it often presents dramatic grain patterns to add interest. Poplar seems to take all the Minwax stains beautifully without blotching like pine. Saves me having to apply a seal coat of Bullseye Sealcoat shellac to avoid blotching. And yes it carves cleaner and hold small details and crisp edges better than our locally available pine. Obviously this does not apply across the nation but if you have not used it, I'd say carve some and see if your experience is the same. Just my 2 ¢.

b.sumner47
06-10-2013, 07:25 PM
Capt Bruce gave a good description of poplar, Well Said. I live in Mass at the Cape Cod Canal. I use poplar all the time and go to Home Depot which I like because you don't have to purchase the whole board. Capt Barry

Capt Bruce
06-11-2013, 05:08 PM
Thank you b.sumner47 for your kind words Sir. Took me a minute to associate your avatar until I recognized my fellow Capt in your signature.

Best of all Home Depot and Lowes both let you pick your boards, handle and site down them to really know what you're getting.

Fair winds my friend!

TerryWinslow
07-16-2013, 12:56 PM
Thanks for the words of wisdom.. I will take that advice to heart.. ;)

Select Pine stains beautifully. Looks great on signs. Because it is so white. BUT...watch out for cupping. I use it but as I think it was Ike who said, "always seal the cut ends". If it wasn't Ike I apologize to whoever said it. But it was one of the best words of advice I got as a newbie. Seal those newly cut pine ends. fast. Otherwise you might have an unattractive bow in the wood that is not sellable.