PDA

View Full Version : a thread about threads

Carl H
01-27-2013, 10:37 AM
I am not sure if it is possible, but one thing I have found about this forum if you say it wont work, someone will come by and prove it can be done.
What I want to do is carve threads into a dowel and carve a nut that matches the pitch of the threads.
I do not have the rotary jig so I would need to cave the threaded dowel in two halves just like liquidguitars flute carve.
I would think carving the nut would go the same way. two halves then glue together.
I want to use fairly hard wood so I could make some practical projects.
I know in theory this will work I just don't have the experience to pull it off.

Help :confused:

DocWheeler
01-27-2013, 11:03 AM
Carl,

As you probably realize, the threads at the sides can not be as deep as the threads at the top unless the dowel being carved is rotated.
A much better way would be to buy the tools to do it directly I think.

Here is a link (http://www.woodcraft.com/Category/1002147/Woodthreading-Kits.aspx?keyword=wood_threading_kit&refcode=06INGOOG&gclid=CPjwtIOBibUCFYxaMgodwDwA2w)that offers a better solution (and also creates threads in a bored hole to match).

bjbethke
01-27-2013, 11:36 AM
I am not sure if it is possible, but one thing I have found about this forum if you say it wont work, someone will come by and prove it can be done.
What I want to do is carve threads into a dowel and carve a nut that matches the pitch of the threads.
I do not have the rotary jig so I would need to cave the threaded dowel in two halves just like liquidguitars flute carve.
I would think carving the nut would go the same way. two halves then glue together.
I want to use fairly hard wood so I could make some practical projects.
I know in theory this will work I just don't have the experience to pull it off.

Help :confused:

You could do that with the CW unit, but it is not the best way. I made some 1/2 nuts for my Legacy unit, I scanned the original part, it worked, but I like this Kit better. A lot less waste, time and wood.
http://www.bealltool.com/products/threading/threader.php

Carl H
01-27-2013, 02:38 PM
I am aware of the tapping and threading tools and I could use my lathe or router but I was trying to figure out a way here, Either with Shadow Relief patterns or conform vector. I will ask my brother for some help with the shadow. I just found out he has an awesome program for that.

bergerud
01-27-2013, 03:04 PM
What diameter and how coarse of threads are we talking about?

James RS
01-27-2013, 03:27 PM
And the gaunlet has been picked up

Bigtyme
01-27-2013, 04:31 PM
Good one James....I look forward to the results. Sometimes even if it is easier to do it one way, it can be a lot of fun to try another....

Carl H
01-27-2013, 05:26 PM
I was thinking of 3/4 of an inch. perhaps 6 threads per inch. I am not sure how much strength that would have. I just think of a few decorative projects I could do with threaded wooden dowels. Apple presses nut crackers etc.

Dan-Woodman
01-27-2013, 07:30 PM
At the large machine shop I used to work at, they had milling cutters for there CNC machines that would cut internal theads. The cutter looked something like a tapered finger joint bit, but the teeth was only as big as the threads. The CNC head would drill a hole , change to the thread cutting bit and go straight down the middle of the hole and spiral around the hole and move down only one thread as it was spiraling around . Now wouldn't that be neat if the CW could do that. Then it could make external threads on the rotary jig with a 60 deg. bit.

mwhatch
01-27-2013, 07:38 PM
What about doing it in 4 cuts instead of 2. I'm not sure about 3/4 inch. You would need a pretty fine cutter.

Carl H
01-27-2013, 09:27 PM
I would settle for 1 inch even and if the nut it split and assembled then the 1/16 cutter should work.
Just something to challenge people

RMarkey
01-28-2013, 09:36 AM
I did this bolt when we were testing the STL feature.

Carl H
01-28-2013, 07:10 PM
very cool!

eelamb
01-28-2013, 07:25 PM
I see this being done as a 4 sided carve using a sled, and rotating the threaded rod after each carve, leaving a head on one end and a square on the other end to hold it in place.

Note: bergerud has something similar making the ball in a square frame.

The pattern would have to be a 3d, sliced into 4 patterns.

henry1
01-28-2013, 07:34 PM
eelamb would you be able to do this and what software would you use

eelamb
01-28-2013, 08:07 PM
Ok here is a bolt. If someone wants the stl file I can send it to them via email. It is 14meg in size.
The nut creation in 3d is not hard to do either.

Edit: after posting the above I went ahead and made the nut. Again I have the stl file it is 3.6meg

CNC Carver
01-28-2013, 08:13 PM
Great work. Like to see this in some projects.

eelamb
01-28-2013, 09:23 PM
Anyone interesting in carving this, just PM me with your email address. Tell me the size you want, I will make the bolt to exact size and TPH, along with the nut. remember the TPH needs to quite large to cut well. I would suggest bolt being a 1.0 or larger carve.

bergerud
01-28-2013, 09:46 PM
I think this is like the lock miter. Special "Carvewright" threads need be invented with 1/32 radii in the troughs and on the peaks. I am thinking of threads more like slightly rounded acme threads. Would they be easy to create Eddie? (I have tried a four sided carving jig like you pictured for carving a linked chain.)

eelamb
01-28-2013, 10:16 PM
Dan, this one is more like what it should be. It is a bolt 2 5/8" long, 1" dia, with 13TPI. I also included the cutting tip used to make the threads. None of this is my doings. It is a JS script for moi3d.

bergerud
01-28-2013, 10:35 PM
That is a cool program. I was also just thinking that acme threads would be better for wood threads. If they are to actually be functional and used in such things as nut crackers and so on. This sure would make for an interesting project. If no one else bites, it will be on my to do list.

Carl H
01-29-2013, 03:29 AM
Very cool. I like the idea of the 4 sided carve too. I havent even tried the two sided carving yet :D Ingenious!

henry1
01-29-2013, 04:03 AM
eelamb very very nice I will send you a private message

eelamb
01-29-2013, 06:59 AM
Dan you might be interested in how he made the threads. It is on the MoI3d forum http://moi3d.com/forum/ in the search at top, enter makeexternalthread and you will see the post.

Edit: so the rotary jig guys are not left out. Here is the bolt. I do think there would be much break out on the threads because of the direction the bit will be moving across the threads.

Carl H
01-29-2013, 06:45 PM
I wonder if I can find a depth shadow image of a broom handle. that thread pattern would be perfect.

bjbethke
01-29-2013, 08:27 PM
you better get out your rat tail files out you, have to match Your Nuts! and you need to make then in a half butt pattern, It woould be better to think about your nuts first???

eelamb
01-30-2013, 02:08 PM
BJB, I have yet to figure out how to carve the nut. The one I showed if carved, would be perfect. But one has to figure out how to carve it.