PDA

View Full Version : Vectorize

dehrlich
01-26-2013, 07:28 PM
Is there a way to vectorize pic, such as my logo? If so how do I do that? Do I need software for it?

bjbethke
01-26-2013, 09:02 PM
Is there a way to vectorize pic, such as my logo? If so how do I do that? Do I need software for it?

There are several ways to do that, I like to use a program called Vector Magic. The files can be saved in several formats. Corel Draw and Illustrator work with the Trace function. There is also a free program, but I can't remember the name of it.

lawrence
01-26-2013, 09:08 PM
There is also a free program, but I can't remember the name of it.

Inkscape- not as user-friendly as the others, but it works

Lawrence

bjbethke
01-26-2013, 09:21 PM
Inkscape- not as user-friendly as the others, but it works

Lawrence

Thanks Lawrence, I don't have that installed on this computer, saves me time not looking it up. BJB

CorelDraw is easer to use than that one. Inkscape works great for the SVG format.

dehrlich
01-26-2013, 09:21 PM
There are several ways to do that, I like to use a program called Vector Magic. The files can be saved in several formats. Corel Draw and Illustrator work with the Trace function. There is also a free program, but I can't remember the name of it.

Thank you thank you! I will try out that vector magic, lots of stuff I could do like that. Really appreciate it!

eelamb
01-26-2013, 10:12 PM
How about a DXF file. Maybe someone will make a MPC from it for you.

James RS
01-27-2013, 08:56 AM
Here you go 59428

joyontheplains
01-27-2013, 09:21 AM
I have been working with Coreldraw for 12 years. As a signmaker, trying to explain to people that an image has to be vectorized for certain signs is always challenging. The vector programs such as Illustrator and Coreldraw all have autotrace features to convert a raster to vector, but that doesn't mean that you will end up with a usable trace. They always have to be cleaned up. If you zoom in on the traced image you will see what I mean. The other better, but more time consuming option is to redraw the image in these programs. Customers don't understand that this costs me time (which is money) to redraw a logo or image. There are also some online businesses that will convert your raster image to vector, one is called the Vector Doctor.

dehrlich
01-27-2013, 09:21 AM
Thank you gentleman!