PDA

View Full Version : To jog or not to jog, that is the question!

dehrlich
01-26-2013, 12:59 PM
On another issue, I am trying to carve a sign on a piece of quartersawn white oak, 14"x30"x7/8", not the lightest chunk of wood. I carved my logo on the back as usual, no problem and of course I always jog to position on that. When I tried to do the front, It goes through the measuring process alright... i do hear the X motor drag some towards the end. Then it asks where to place the pattern, I say center, so it runs the board out again and when it tries to run it back in.. it acts like the board gets stuck. Runs it back and forth real fast a few inches til I push stop. I'm wondering if it's heavy enough that the majority of it sticking out the front is making it lose contact with the brass roller. If I do a "jog to position" it should avoid this step right? I don't want to burn up the X drive, i'm sure it's no fun to change.

bergerud
01-26-2013, 01:21 PM
It is true, if you choose to jog to position, the machine will not go to measure the front of the board. Place on corner also avoids the front measurement.

badbert
01-26-2013, 02:43 PM
Your X drive should handle that no problem! Sounds to me like it is tapered. Measure the width at each end and make sure it is square also. Also make sure you have the adjustable fence adjusted with a small gap, 3 or 4 playing cards.

chief2007
01-26-2013, 03:44 PM
Use roller stands to helps support the weight as well

unitedcases
01-26-2013, 03:46 PM
Whenever I have a board do that, I find that my board has a slight bow to it that I didnt notice with my horrible eyesight. So, I add a few strips of masking tape.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

dehrlich
01-26-2013, 04:59 PM
I put a couple strips of tape on the bottom, I always put one but sometimes it takes two. No taper or cup, but it did manage to work it's way about an 1/8" away from the squareing bar by the time it was done. Not a big deal. And I did end up jogging it and it was fine. Got some burn on the vector lettering... looks like I need a sharper bit.