PDA

View Full Version : From a scan to Corel Draw then DXF to CW not working?

jacksquestion
01-25-2013, 02:48 PM
I scanned a line drawing into Corel Draw vs 5, saved the file as .DXF and tried to import into Project Designer. (I bought DXF Imported just recently and watched the tutorials) DXF Importer gives me a popup saying - "Not all of the DXF file could be imported". When I go to Details I get "After excluding unsupported entities, there are no entities left to import." If I draw anything in C.D.5 it imports no problem but will not recognize the scanned drawing. I expect it's something I'm not doing but can't figure it out. Help is truly appreciated. Jack

SteveNelson46
01-25-2013, 02:55 PM
JackQ

I have had the same problem in programs other than Corel Draw. The problem is with the way the Designer imports a DXF. Usually Corel Draw works if you export as an Autocad 2004 DXF file.

lawrence
01-25-2013, 03:17 PM
I always make sure to turn the pic into a bmp and then trace it before I export it and then it works. I'll try to do a tutorial if I get a chance (along with the STL Importer)

Lawrence

jacksquestion
01-26-2013, 07:16 AM
Is there any chance that when DXF Importer trys to bring in the file that it sees the background (the paper that the line drawing was on when scanned) as part of the drawing itself. If so does anyone know how to eliminate it or fake the importer out. I cleaned up any "noise"/dots etc that I could find but with no luck on the import.
Thanks for the other suggestions. I'll try them as well. I was hoping to not have to redraw/trace after the scan. I'm still open for suggestions and appreciate your help THANKS! Jack

jacksquestion
01-26-2013, 07:36 AM
I have managed to get the import to seemingly work. However the line drawing itself when placed on the board flashes quickly so that I know that it's there then all but disappears. Again it's as if the page it was drawn on is part of it. I say this because the file when placed on the board ends up with what appears to be the whole page with a faint line drawing on it (set into the board). Am I grasping at straws or on the right track. If correct how do I eliminate the paper background? Jack

SteveNelson46
01-26-2013, 10:25 AM
Open your pattern in the Pattern Editor by double clicking on it in the pattern list. From the "Filter" menu select "Raise/Lower". Use the slider to lower the pattern until the backgroung disappears. You shouldn't have to do this if you imported a DXF. Post what you have. Other members may have some suggestions.

mathman
01-26-2013, 01:58 PM
I tried something similar except instead of a scan I started with an SVG image. Imported that into CorelDraw X5 and exported it was a dxf file. Imported that into designer and started to mess around with it. The thread on that is at http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?20759-svg-to-dxf-to-designer...

ONLY WINGE
02-02-2013, 10:20 PM
:D A tutorial would be very much appreciated by a lot of us I to have STL , DXF and Core Draw x5 but can not figure out how to do from a to z in getting something into designer.I have learned so much on the forums I can not even start to thank you all. From Alaska Jim