PDA

View Full Version : Scanning Probe Software

mtylerfl
02-04-2007, 03:52 PM
Hello,

Today I tried to install the software that was included with my Scanning Probe, in preparation for my machines's return from repair tomorrow.

I received the following error message when trying to install the software...

"Another version of this product is already installed. Installation of this version cannot continue. To configure or remove the existing version of this product, use Add/Remove Programs on the Control Panel."

I do have the Designer software installed and it is updated to the most recent version 1.115, but I thought the CD included with the scanner was something different, or in addition to, the Designer software that came with my CW machine.

Am I to assume that the CD is just a duplicate of my original Designer software and that there is nothing more I need to install for using the Scanning Probe? I don't believe I need to uninstall my existing Designer software - - - or do I?

It's a bit confusing at the moment. Why would a software CD be included if it is not necessary to install? The CD that came with my Scanning Probe is labeled "Project Designer Install Disc".

Perhaps someone can shed some light on this for me. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

pkunk
02-04-2007, 05:00 PM
I don't know how it is on a Windoz machine but mine installed right over the old 1.115. It the same version on the disk with the addition of the prove stuff.

mtylerfl
02-05-2007, 07:30 PM
Hello,

I cannot install the software over the old - the error message tells me to remove the software that it "sees" is already installed.

I emailed CW Support to see what they recommend for me to do. I'm reluctant to remove my current/updated 1.115 version for fear the software that was included with my probe is older and may "mess up" the Designer software.

I received my machine back from repair today via DHL. The box looked like it went through World War III. Rather large holes/gashes in the box, scrapes, and the bottom was completely opened. The DHL driver had to deliver the box upside down, and said it was recieved by him in that condition.

Happily, the machine seems OK - - I was able to carve a project today without any problems, so I guess it survived the trip after all!

Tomorrow I'm hoping to hear from CW and get the Probe software situation cleared up. I want to try my new scanning sled.

KarmaJon
02-07-2007, 07:59 PM
Hey, maybe you had the same issue I had.

1) There is SUPPOSED to be a serial number on a sticker on the envelope that your CD came in. If there is no sticker, call up CW and give them your invoice, they will give you a serial number. (Mine didn't have one.)

2.) Go to www.carvewright.com and this will lead you to a registration area. (This isn't the forum area! This is the same place you registered the machine.) You'll see an area to register your probe with your serial number (It begins with a P!)

3.) You will receive a registration code. Enter this code into your software, and you're good to go!

mtylerfl
02-07-2007, 08:49 PM
2.) Go to www.carvewright.com and this will lead you to a registration area. (This isn't the forum area! This is the same place you registered the machine.) You'll see an area to register your probe with your serial number (It begins with a P!)

Hello Carl,

I cannot locate the "Registration Area" you mentioned on the CW website. The only registration area I see is the Demo software registration page.

Do you have the complete URL to the probe registration area?

Thanks!

KarmaJon
02-08-2007, 06:49 AM
Do you have the complete URL to the probe registration area?

Thanks!

Try this: www.carvewright.com/register.php

1) You'll have to log in. If you're like me, your Login name COULD be different than the name you use to log into this forum.

2) click on "Register a New Scanning Probe"

3) Give them the serial number, they will provide you with a code. Write down the code in, like, THREE different places so that you'll never lose it!

4) Open up CW Designer, click on the HELP menu, and select "Enter Upgrade Code"

5) Enter that number they gave you. It should be easy to find because you wrote down in three different places!

This will unlock the scan capability of your software. It's the same software that you've been running, it just seems to have a secret compartment!

When you've scanned a project, put your project card into your card reader, open up CW Designer and click on the FILE menu... NOW you'll see a new option called, Download Scan. You're good to go!

KarmaJon
02-08-2007, 06:59 AM
Hello Carl, .....
Thanks!

Uh, my name is Jon. Carl Jung is just the name of the guy who made the quote and I gave him the proper attribute.

Actually, Carl Jung is an interesting dude, he was Sigmund Freud's protoge before they fell out of favour with each other. Sigmund was in the vein of the materialist philosophers in the early nineteen hundreds when such philosophy was all the rage, and everybody(read:the intelligensia and Ivory Tower types!) felt that communism was inevitable.

Carl Jung, on the other hand, had a spiritual explanation for psychology, and he is the father of "Archetypes." Kind of a pioneer. It's worth noting that most of the field of psychology has been moving away from Frued and towards Carl Jung for the last 15 or 20 years. Also worth noting: Carl Jung was a bit of a whack job, himself! :wink:

All in all, I still think a bottle of Vodka is cheaper than a shrink and a bottle of xanex. :D

mtylerfl
02-08-2007, 07:47 AM
Hello KarmaJon,

Thanks for correcting me on your name, and also for the help registering the Probe - it worked!

The only thing I have a question about is, when I double-click a pattern, I get a split window that allows me to do some editing, which is wonderful! However, the "Help" file in the Editing Window does not seem to work. I'll click on Help, but nothing happens. (I was trying to access the Help File to find out what the term "Quantize" meant under the Filter Menu.) Can you shed some light as to why the Help File cannot be accessed when the Edit Window is open?

Thanks again!

KarmaJon
02-08-2007, 09:10 AM
Quantization with regards to an image files generally means some sort of compression algorythm. I ASSUME that is the case here.

I'm new to the scaning probe myself, but I'd be willing to bet that it's compression of the file. I don't know how much, if any, useful information would be lost during compression, but until I know for sure, I would NOT quantize. The files seem pretty small to me as they are.

As for access to the help window, the scan file that you download from the card is in a temporary state, and CW Designer is waiting for you to save it.

1)Best just to "Save Scan As..."
2)Close Scan Download Window
3)open scanned image from favorites in CW Designer and enjoy your full capabilites.

mtylerfl
02-08-2007, 12:40 PM
As for access to the help window, the scan file that you download from the card is in a temporary state, and CW Designer is waiting for you to save it.

Hello,

Haven't made any scans yet - machine is down, waiting for a new Z-Pak.

I opened Designer, selected new project, clicked the Pattern button, dbl-clicked one of the patterns in the Library, then the split-window Pattern Editor opens up. (This is a GREAT feature!)

Started playing with the pattern while exploring the all editing features. Went to the Filters Menu, saw "Quantize", didn't know what it is supposed to do, Clicked the "Help" file and no Help file displayed.

Seems the Help file is either missing or there never was one to begin with for the Pattern Editing window. Does your Help file work when you are in the Pattern Editing window?

I'm a recording musician and am familiar with the quantize function in music software programs. With music, the quantize function will line up notes with a tempo grid when a recording is a little off. Quantize re-aligns the music in relation to the beat. There are various settings for the alignment value (1/16 note, 1/8 note, 1/4 note, whatever) and choices for the "quantize strength" the user wants, from super accurate (100%) or looser (anything less than 100%) to keep the music from sounding too exact and robotic.

I was thinking the quantize function in the Pattern Editing window might have something to do with "aligning" pixels (cleanup?) or perhaps rounding off grey-scale values to neighboring pixels, but that is a total guess on my part.

Or, it could be a compression scheme, as you mentioned - I hadn't thought of that possibility.

KarmaJon
02-08-2007, 03:56 PM
That's true, I didn't think of it musically, but, in a sense, that IS what quantizing does do. If you have different values that are + or - a certain value, it can save room to choose an offset that is higher (or lower) than all the rest, choose an offset, and then all the thousands of "points" stored will no longer require a bit to tell if it's positive or negative.

In music, quantize can squish things to the nearest 128th, or 64th, or what have you, and save room that way. Of course, when I quantize music, I do it to cheat my sloppy playing to hit the beat!

Yeah, the pattern editing window is like a "skin" laying over the top of CW. Kind of like an "Open FIle" menu will keep you from accessing your program until you click on a file and it sends you back.

KarmaJon
02-08-2007, 05:13 PM
On a 3/8" thick template that I scanned, Quantize seems effect the smoothnes of the transitions from one point to the next. The more detail in the texture you want, the higher your number should be. The less detail you want, as in a flat template, the lower a number you should use. At least that's what I derive from experimentation.

I can't wait until somebody comes out with CarveWright for Dummies! I'll buy the first one! :wink:

mtylerfl
02-08-2007, 05:45 PM
Hello KarmaJon,

Thanks for your observation of the quantize function in the Pattern Edit Window - makes sense.

I asked CW about the absence of the Helpfile and here is what they said...

Hi Michael,

Thanks again for your patience. Actually there is nothing to display in
the "help" menu right now. Our software technicians are working on
piecing together a troubleshooting guide for our scan software but there
is no definite time as to when this will be complete. I can pass this on
to our software guys and see how to fix the problem.

Thanks and I look forward to talking with you soon.

So, for the time being, a Helpfile doesn't exist for the Pattern Edit Window. That's alright by me for now, as most of the features are self-explanatory. I'm pretty happy just to have this additional feature!

KarmaJon
02-08-2007, 09:17 PM
Thanks for the info! Hope you get your Z-pak soon!

I was all wet about the help file, but that much is evident now. (By the way, I wonder if they will develop a "HUMANIZE" function for the CW :roll:)