PDA

View Full Version : What is this noise?

dehrlich
01-25-2013, 11:02 AM
My machine is making a mysterious noise. If you click on the link it should take you to a short video of it so you can hear it. Kind of a grinding noise as it goes up and down...

https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?v=10200541998412088&set=vb.1222214814&type=2&theater

unitedcases
01-25-2013, 11:11 AM
Without even watching the videos I would say check your rail bearings.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

chief2007
01-25-2013, 11:29 AM
I see you have the Quick Change Adapter, How many Hours and have you seen any change in quality of your carvings?

Start with the rail bearings. With the power off to the machine raise and lower the z truck feeling for any binding or grinding. Then do the same with the Y moving left and right. Also remove the flex shaft and rotate the spindle to see or feel if and thing may be amiss.

Link for cleaning the rails http://www.carvewright.com/support-page/maintenance/#clean_rails Gives you a video on cleaning them.

Here is Tips and Tricks Link http://www.carvewright.com/assets/tips/CarveWrightTips_and_Tricks_Apr10.pdf On the front page top right - it shows proper alignment for the Quick Chuck. Use an inspection mirror after you install the bit to make sure it is seat properly.

Digitalwoodshop
01-25-2013, 12:03 PM
Try it again without the bit... Remove the bit after all the bit checks... Any BB Marks in the Bit Holder?

AL

dehrlich
01-25-2013, 12:13 PM
K I'll check all that after it finishes this carve. Just replaced the Z truck, which means new chuck and bearings probably 30 hours ago. I inspect the adapters when I oil them before every carve, no marks yet and it holds nice and tight. Am planning to order a Rock as soon as he gets bit adapters back in stock.

Also found something that may explain all the issues I have had with this machine. When cleaning it up before today's project I must have blown out an area that I haven't before... I got out some old mouse turds. Must have been from sitting around with the guy that I got it from. I know I don't have mice in the shop, got traps every where just in case and haven't caught one in months.

Anyway thanks, I will report back if I find anything.

TerryT
01-25-2013, 12:30 PM
Sorry I can't make out too much from the video, but if you eliminate the noise from the cut motor it might be easier to isolate the other noise.

Go to the user test section of the menu and run through the x,y and z tests. That way you can hear any noise without the cutmotor overwhelming it. Much easier to hear bearing noise. If you don't hear anything that way it may be harmonics from the QC.

henry1
01-25-2013, 12:52 PM
Sorry I can't make out too much from the video, but if you eliminate the noise from the cut motor it might be easier to isolate the other noise.

Go to the user test section of the menu and run through the x,y and z tests. That way you can hear any noise without the cutmotor overwhelming it. Much easier to hear bearing noise. If you don't hear anything that way it may be harmonics from the QC.
Have to agree with you terry it would probbely tell you

b.sumner47
01-25-2013, 01:27 PM
I was unable to pick up the noise that you hear. I tried 5-7 times,but unable. You may want to make sure that rail for the X-Y truck are clean. you may try to vac. or blow it out 10 15 psi should be fine.

Capt Barry

Digitalwoodshop
01-25-2013, 07:09 PM
Possible one of the Z Truck Bearings is not closed on the rails to top dead center.....

Power off, grab Truck and tug in all directions... If it is loose you found it...

How about BB Marks...? Any BB marks in your bit holders? We have found that if you get BB Marks and just change the QC or JUST change the Bit holders... The OTHER bad part will cause the new one to go bad in as little as one carve from the flopping around.

AL

dehrlich
01-26-2013, 10:10 AM
All the bearings are fine, rails are good. Actually heard a noise coming from the area of the Y motor, so I'm guessing that may be it. Will get one on order so hopefully it's here before this one crashes.

chief2007
01-26-2013, 10:13 AM
All the bearings are fine, rails are good. Actually heard a noise coming from the area of the Y motor, so I'm guessing that may be it. Will get one on order so hopefully it's here before this one crashes.

Depending on how many hours are on your machine, you may only need to change the y motor bearings. How many hours are on your machine?

fwharris
01-26-2013, 10:25 AM

Agree with Chief on that one!!!

lawrence
01-26-2013, 10:31 AM
one more thing- I was getting a "rattling sound" occasionally and found that locking the red handle (which I had NEVER done) made the noise go away- it was kind of a "ball in a can being shaken" sound.

Lawrence

Digitalwoodshop
01-26-2013, 12:07 PM
A very old Mechanic Trick may help here... Using a long screwdriver, you place the screwdriver on the Y Motor or Gear Box and hold the handle near your EAR and listen... Helps narrow down the location or source of the sound.

AL

lawrence
01-26-2013, 12:09 PM
...the pointy end goes on the tool... (DAMHIKT)

Lawrence

dehrlich
01-26-2013, 12:53 PM
Ok here's a strange one. After I had done all that i spoke of before and was getting the machine ready to go, I installed the bit in the chuck and did my normal try to wiggle it test. I found that there was some play up and down that hadn't been there before. Since I had another good chuck I went ahead and changed it. In the process I of course removed the flex cable and found that not only was it not lubed, it seemed almost rusty and some rust/dirt feel out as I pulled the cable out (i was advised previously that I was putting too much lube on it). So while I was waiting for the chuck to warm up to remove it I oiled the cable up. I got everything buttoned back up and fired the machine up for a short carve. I was amazed at how quite it was running! Perhaps the other chuck was out of balance or something? And after I ran the truck back and forth by had a few times on the Y rail, the noise there was gone too. Go figure. So no new Y motor for now, but gotta get that Rock chuck ordered!

henry1
01-26-2013, 12:57 PM
A very old Mechanic Trick may help here... Using a long screwdriver, you place the screwdriver on the Y Motor or Gear Box and hold the handle near your EAR and listen... Helps narrow down the location or source of the sound.

AL
You are so righ,t I forgot about one, I used to it many time when I was a millwright I missed that , thx for the machine it helps