PDA

View Full Version : How would you do it?

roostinridge
01-24-2013, 10:39 AM
Hello,

I have created a pattern in designer and I'm having some issues trying to get this figured out.

The plan is to carve a .19 wide groove 3/8" deep of the outline of my pattern made up of splines in designer.

This is a pattern for my overarm router and I have a 3/16 pin for the router and a 3/16 bit for the carvewright, but I would like the pattern I'm making in designer to be a little wider than 3/16 so I can easily move the wood over the pattern.

Thanks for your help

Here is the MPC if you need it

ladjr
01-24-2013, 03:59 PM
I'm trying to understand what you are trying to do. Do you have a picture of what you are doing. you said " I would like the pattern I'm making in designer to be a little wider than 3/16 so I can easily move the wood over the pattern' What pattern.

eelamb
01-24-2013, 04:36 PM
I believe he has a pattern maker over arm router. The pin he mentioned fits into the slots he creates once. Now he duplicated the pattern on other boards. you move the handle with the pin through the series of vector cuts. The router on the other end cuts the pattern in his board under the router.

bergerud
01-24-2013, 04:39 PM
You could use the path offset to make your 3/16 to 0.19. It would mean two passes. Have you tried the pin in a 3/16 groove? It may just fit ok as is. Run out might have your problem already solved. (Or you could use a smaller pin on your router table!)

ladjr
01-24-2013, 07:19 PM
I believe he has a pattern maker over arm router. The pin he mentioned fits into the slots he creates once. Now he duplicated the pattern on other boards. you move the handle with the pin through the series of vector cuts. The router on the other end cuts the pattern in his board under the router.

Thanks Eddie, but I still don't understand.

bergerud
01-24-2013, 07:27 PM
I think the router is clamped above the table over the pin. The jig with the slot down on the pin carries a board which gets routered from above as the jig slides on the pin. My guess.

SteveNelson46
01-24-2013, 07:28 PM
I'm not sure if I understand correctly but here is my interpretation. The "groove" is centered around your original vector(s). Also, I removed the mirrors, copied, pasted, flipped, and joined the vectors to create 1 vector and cleaned it up a little. Then I offset the vector by .095" (half of .19") on the inside and outside. For the vector cuts only version (EMPB3) I assigned a 1/8" cutting bit to the inside and outside vectors with a .063 (-.063 for the inside) offset and a depth of .375". For the raster version (EMPB2) I made the outside vector a carve region with a depth of .375 and made the inside vector a carve region with zero depth. The EMPB3.mpc (vector) will probably be more accurate because the side walls of the groove will not have the taper of the 1/16" carving bit.

SteveNelson46
01-24-2013, 09:48 PM
Bumped the thread for the edit