PDA

View Full Version : Some Troubleshooting Advice Needed

chief2007
01-23-2013, 03:29 PM
Have had a problem recently occur with one of my machines. This occurred 30 hrs after I just completed the 250 maintenance cycle.

Once it has had a Y axis Stall
Once it has had a Z axis Stall
Both during the same carving project. I ended up finishing the carve on another machine

Once it stop all together and went back to the Main Menu
Carving a different project

With that - I open up the machine and ensure all connections were tight both top and bottom of the machine, no dust anywhere, cleaned the rails once more and ran another carve which was 5.5 hrs long - no problem.

Today running the same 5.5 hr project and the machine had another Y axis stall again - unfortunatley I wasn't in machine sight when it occurred.

2 thoughts in mind - First is to change the FFC cable, second if to change out the power supply. But prior to any of that I wanted to get a feel from the CW Gurus.
I am leaning towards the power supply possibility having a loose component.

Thoughts?

henry1
01-23-2013, 03:45 PM
fcc cable would do that first , or dust at back of y or the z encoder I would check that ,,power supply likely not

Digitalwoodshop
01-23-2013, 05:08 PM
My take on this is to check the Cut Motor Switch on the Right Side for loose Screws or even a loose cover switch. A Momentary loss of the Cut Motor could give you this. But that is just a WAG... Because it effected both axis I look for something in common....

A Y Encoder problem like posted above could also be the problem... Even a dusty Encoder Wheel but likely you blew it out doing maintenance.... BUT the Solder Joints on the Encoder can become Cracked and the Donut or Solder Pad would be fractured from the trace leaving or entering the solder pad. A Common Failure in the circuit board world with a mechanical PLUG and Socket as if the socket was not fully seated on the board when Wave Soldered in a pool of molten solder, pressure pushing the plug closing the distance between the socket and board snap the connections. Just another WAG....

But if I were you, I would half split it and swap power supplies between machines and run both.... See if the problem moves...

Good Luck and GOOD JOB doing the 250 hour maintenance.

Also move the head to the Bit Plate and see how tight the FSC Cable is.... It can rip... if too short on top.

AL

unitedcases
01-23-2013, 05:13 PM
I just ran into something similar. Upon inspection 6 of my 8 rail bearings were frozen. Luckily all they needed was some wd40. Might be something simple. You never know.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

SteveNelson46
01-23-2013, 06:00 PM
Chief2007

I had the exact same problem awhile back. I called LHR tech support and he said it was definitely the power supply. I was skeptical but, ordered one anyway. After replacing it all problems went away.

chief2007
01-23-2013, 06:27 PM
Thank you all for the great inputs and advice. This not being any of the normal problems I have encountered I wanted to reinforce my suspicions.

I have the plan for tomorrow's troubleshooting and will keep every on up to date on the findings.

Did double check the rail bearings - all good with no binding, I use Floyd's DC insert so dust is not a problem - but will check the encoders to be on the safe side while I have the machine apart.

This is a C version machine so we will see what we find.

badbert
01-23-2013, 07:32 PM
cut motor stopping will give both errors, depending on which direction it is cutting. Check your brushes.

chief2007
01-23-2013, 07:47 PM
cut motor stopping will give both errors, depending on which direction it is cutting. Check your brushes.

Check - 30 hours on the brushes, but thanks Badbert

chief2007
01-26-2013, 04:21 PM
Here's the follow up on the problem.

As suspected seems the power supply is the culprit. I changed it and ran a 4.5 hr carve with no problems.

Thanks to all again for the inputs and to Steve and Al for reinforcing my suspicions.

I had a spare power supply, but still plan to try the "defective one" in another machine and air carve a project to see what happens.

So I have added more symptoms to the faulty power supply folder in my troubleshooting notes.