PDA

View Full Version : How close to the edge of a 14 1/2" layout can you carve?

SFR Table Hockey
01-21-2013, 08:32 PM
Sorry, should be an easy one for you all here but I have yet to set up the Carvewright and fool with it. I do want to lay out a project that will need the max width to be cut for outer and inner slots.

I would like to set up a layout with 14 1/2" wide board and what is the closest you can place your cut lines to the edge. Have looked on and off for several days and tried a search but no luck. If you know that would save me setting up the file with too close of cut lines and to re do it. Also where would one have found this info.

I know I seen it some where but can't find it now.

Thanks in advance.

badbert
01-21-2013, 08:56 PM
The software will give you warnings when you get too close. The important thing is that the compression rollers, still have an edge big enough to push down on. And don't forget the 7" rule! You must leave 3.5" on each end of the board!! To answer your question, I have cut as wide as 13.75. leaving 3/8" on either side.

SFR Table Hockey
01-21-2013, 09:47 PM
Thank you. I know about the added length 3.5" rule but could not find for the life of me how close to the edge you could get. So 3/4" or more should be safe to start at and see what the software does.

Thanks again.

badbert
01-21-2013, 09:59 PM
The machine is fail safe. It will not harm itself. The problem is the brass roller under the board. It will not cut that roller. And there is at least two different style rollers. I know mine will cut as close as 3/8" so I always try to leave 1/2" on either side. But The software will warn you of long cuts across the face of the board, at (I believe) 1/2". Trial and error will be your answer for this one!

badbert
01-21-2013, 10:03 PM
You have to remember this too. When you are doing a cut-out you will want to click the "flip-cut" button. This will move the cutter to the outside of the path. But by doing this, you add 1/8" inch to each side of the path. So your cut path will actually be an additional 1/4" bigger, than your project.

SFR Table Hockey
01-21-2013, 11:07 PM
Ok good to know. For this layout it won't have any cutout. I do understand what you are getting at. Thanks, you saved me a pile of time looking.

RMarkey
01-22-2013, 09:30 AM
If you carve edge-to-edge, you will potentially carve enough material away so the near roller will 'fall' into the carving... causing tracking issues and "check roller" messages.

Cuts near the brass roller will be height adjusted to avoid cutting the roller.
Rasters near the brass roller will force "autojig" mode, which adds 1/2" spacing to both edges (effectively increasing the width of your project by 1").

SteveNelson46
01-22-2013, 10:21 AM
When I made a Veggie Tray the project board width was 14.5" and the actual diameter of the tray was 13.5". After allowing for the width of the 1/8" cutting bit this left about a 1/4" on both sides for the rollers. The actual width of the board I used was 14.55' which is the absolute maximum width my Carvewright will take. I didn't have any problems.

Digitalwoodshop
01-22-2013, 03:36 PM
My experience if your Cut Path is on the Front and you don't have any close Carve Regions on the back side near the brass roller path your OK. With my handles, I see the Bit LIFT doing a Cut Path when doing the cut closest to the Brass Roller as seen in the picture.

The Last picture shows it best... The Bit lifts on the masking tape area as that is the brass roller track.

AL

SFR Table Hockey
01-23-2013, 12:09 PM
Thanks again guys, so it seems that what you are carving can have as much of an effect on how close to the edge you can get. For my first project it's just some 1/8" slots and one will run along the top and one on the lower 1" of the board so this should not be an issue. I just wanted those two slots as far appart as possible.

SteveNelson46
01-23-2013, 06:12 PM
In retrospect, I did have one of the tabs on the cutout that seemed much longer than the others. I ignored it at the time as everything else seemed okay. This must have been where the Carvewright shallowed the cut to protect the brass roller.