PDA

View Full Version : 45 deg. lock miter cut

myshop1044
01-21-2013, 04:27 PM
My first attempt on the lock type miter was awful. I had some of the edge cut mirrored
and I did not know they were mirrored. So I scraped it .
My second attempted was much more effective. I just add a small bump on the male and recess on the female.
They worked out great for me. It really lines up the corners.
see attached.

Perry B.

bergerud
01-21-2013, 04:41 PM
Looks easy and very effective. Not as fancy as the lock miter router bits which do both sides the same (one vertical and one horizontal) but all you need is to stop the joint from sliding. Looks like it would scale ok too. Nice trick.

eelamb
01-21-2013, 05:28 PM
Perry looks great. Here is a MPC of the miter Bert showed, but looks a lot like the one you had done.

With this pattern you can change the 6" height to what ever you want, but do not change the depth, or width, or you will not have the 45 deg anymore.

badbert
01-21-2013, 09:06 PM
That is fantastic!! I knew you guys could do it! Take a bow fellas! You just improved a centuries old joint!! Perry please share yours!!

henry1
01-21-2013, 09:41 PM
That good to know very impressive

myshop1044
01-21-2013, 09:57 PM
Bert, I did a simple region then I used "Extrude" to set the angle with the bump or recess.
after I cut out each board then split each again to get a even sixe board to try the corners.
The fit is not perfect, but it will work and the angle cut will not slip.

eelamb
01-21-2013, 10:15 PM
Perry if I had seen your images first I would not have posted this one. Great job.

badbert
01-21-2013, 10:32 PM
Thank you Perry! I saw the other thread. You just click "go advanced" to post files in a reply. I do not have the advanced software so I can not use extrude. And I can not save your files. If you create patterns from your profiles, I think they would work.
I do believe they are "both" scale-able!
Ed yours has an additional 3/4" tab(?) attached to the profile, so it does not scale as easily. But I believe it still does. If I set a .250 grid. And i set the width at 1". And set the depth to .5". I believe it is still a perfect 45! Like wise if I set the with at 2". And the depth to 1". I believe that is a perfect 45 as well. If I had a cut motor I would carve to confirm! A 45 is achieved by the width of the profile matching the depth. For example; If you have a board that is .8 thick. And you create a .8 wide, .8 deep profile, it should be a perfect 45... I think!? :)

eelamb
01-22-2013, 06:22 AM
Bert mine is for a .75 board thickness. Anything less or more it will not be a 45 deg. The only way to scale it is using the yellow dot (middle of line) on the 6" end. For .75 wood it is a 45, anything other than that is will be stretched and will not be a 45. The feather can be removed. Problem with making it the way I do there has to be a drop off. So I put a zero depth box on the board side. 3d suite will not do the drop off.

eelamb
01-22-2013, 06:57 AM
Maybe this will help. See image. Tab as you called it is to cover the cut that wants to take place on the inside of the board. If interested I can make it the same size as the angle.

Added another image and new pattern this time exact size on the side area as the pattern.

brdad
01-22-2013, 02:43 PM
Anyone know how doing this joint with the 90 degree and straight bits would work?

eelamb
01-23-2013, 02:55 PM
Brdad, creating the pattern like I do, using a cad type program, would allow you to do what you asked, if you were using another type of CNC machine. But importing it into the CW only allows for the 1/16" carving bit to be used. Not sure if the 3d suite has the ability to select the bit to be used. I do not think so. My guess as to the answer is no.

brdad
01-23-2013, 07:59 PM
Sorry, I failed to indicate using vectors, as in the quick (& poorly) done mpc posted. Thinking it over it seems it would yield a decent cut, but there are obvious issues including making the board wide enough for the curve of the bits and possibly making sure the bits do their work in a safe depth and order.

eelamb
01-23-2013, 09:29 PM
I like it, and looks possible, very possible.