PDA

View Full Version : Curve text ?

jaustin
01-20-2013, 12:27 PM
Curve text,Not sure if the would be the correct name for it or not.

using the 1911 grips that Jerry posted in this thread http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?18026-I-finally-broke-it-Help-AW
how would you apply text or a carving the would follow the shape of the grips?and the depth would stay equal thru out the carve.

I am waiting for a set of grips to show up so I can scan them in, but would like to figure out how to do it so when they show up i would know how to complete the project.

thanks

eelamb
01-20-2013, 12:52 PM
Centerline text and conforming vectors is what you need.

jaustin
01-20-2013, 02:44 PM
thanks off to purchase it.
Do you know if there is a tutorial on using it?

fwharris
01-20-2013, 03:57 PM
thanks off to purchase it.
Do you know if there is a tutorial on using it?

There sure is... http://www.carvewright.com/support-page/getting-started/tutorials/software-tutorials/

jaustin
01-20-2013, 06:55 PM
Thanks,
If i would want to use a image on the grips i would I need dxf importer software to do this?

fwharris
01-20-2013, 07:15 PM
Thanks,
If i would want to use a image on the grips i would I need dxf importer software to do this?

If wanted to do the image as a line/vector carve yes the dxf importer would be the choice to do that.

jaustin
01-20-2013, 07:45 PM
Ok, is there away around this? or just buy the software?

Working with these same grips.
the board is .375 thick which is to thin for the machine.
If i use a board that is .640 thick and cut to pockets in it that are .375 deep.I would need to change the thickness of the pattern to the .640 board thickness?

Now when i carve it out would the cut path go all the way thru the board?

lawrence
01-20-2013, 08:56 PM
There sure is- post the image you want to put on, and one of us here with the DXF importer can turn it into a pattern for you

Lawrence

eelamb
01-20-2013, 09:07 PM
To carve the .375 board in the CW use a carrier board the same size as your .375" thick board. Now use double back carpet tape (cloth type is best) to hold the two boards together. Then carve the grips. Carrier board can be plywood since it will not be used for anything other than to make the total board thickness .5" or greater.

If you want a raster carve, it will conform to the surface (raster = PTN file of 2.5D). Only vectors (text and lines) require the conforming vector software. The text will require the centerline text software.

jaustin
01-20-2013, 09:31 PM
To carve the .375 board in the CW use a carrier board the same size as your .375" thick board. Now use double back carpet tape (cloth type is best) to hold the two boards together. Then carve the grips. Carrier board can be plywood since it will not be used for anything other than to make the total board thickness .5" or greater.

If you want a raster carve, it will conform to the surface (raster = PTN file of 2.5D). Only vectors (text and lines) require the conforming vector software. The text will require the centerline text software.

do i need to add the thickness to the original .375 board?
carrier board is .625"
Do i add the .375 + .625 = 1"

or put both boards together and leave pattern at .375?

i tried just placing a Sgt rank in the grips and you can not see it.
Played with the depth height and invert still not good.
It is just an image i found on google
http://rcram.webs.com/G4-SGT[1].gif

I removed the white background and imported it into designer and paste it from my pattern tool that opens on the right side of screen.

Lawrence it is the same rank I posted above. Thanks.
I am trying to figure this out without spending $200 on a software right now. But if I have too I will in the future but right now not enough in saving to pay for it.

fwharris
01-20-2013, 10:11 PM
In designer use the actual board thickness. With out seeing your mpc I would try merge additive and also make the depth settings the same for all parts..

fwharris
01-20-2013, 10:25 PM
Here is the Sgt. in dxf/vector..