PDA

View Full Version : Some new carvings

easybuilt
01-17-2013, 10:46 AM
Here are some signs I shipped out this week. I want to THANK who posted the mpc for desk name plate, I showed to a person on Facebook and it sold at once and I have another request which I am working on now. And Bert you horse head has been doing well, thank you too! The salmon sign you saw earler but the customer decided he wanted a different background, so for an additional charge problem. The military sign features three different images, the MQ-9 Reaper, a Hellfire missile, and GBU-12 bomb. The customer is going to tallie his years of service in the middle. The oval sign is 28" x 22" carved in redwood.
I feel lucky that January has been a busy month but it is time to laeve town. Denise ( my wonderful wife) and I are leaving town for a few days. It sure has been COLD in the shop, 27 degrees this morning.

olsenla
01-17-2013, 10:55 AM
Very nicely done. I really get a kick out of that beer drinking fish. All are fantastic.

Larry

JuicyCarp
01-17-2013, 11:02 AM
I am glad to see the desk plaque worked out! Did you change the size of the carved region in the center of the base to make the plaque fit better? When i did my test carve there was a bit of a gap. I ordered some pretty awesome pieces of wood to carve these from, hopefully it will be here next week. Looks great!

CLARKSCUSTOMDOORS
01-17-2013, 11:05 AM
WOW!!! Awesome projects!!

easybuilt
01-17-2013, 11:07 AM
Yes JuicyCarp I did change some of the sizes to fit tight. Here is the revised mpc. I want to carve it in walnut also. Thank you for your design!

JuicyCarp
01-17-2013, 11:16 AM
I ordered some Walnut, Mahogony, and Purpleheart to carve six of them from. I have always wanted to work with purpleheart, so I am pretty excited to see how they turn out.

badbert
01-17-2013, 10:14 PM
You make the Horse head look good! LOl When I get up and running again, I am gonna make my Beautiful wife one of those nameplates that says, Goddess! Keep up the good work!

b.sumner47
01-20-2013, 02:43 PM
Some really nice signs, Tom. I like the fish camp alot. Thanks for sharing.

Capt Barry

easybuilt
01-20-2013, 03:29 PM
Thank you Capt Berry and Bert! Sure like the variety, I have some nice ones I'm working on now. I was talking to Stephen and the desk plate could easly be converted to a business card holder too with an additional piece of wood and a groove carved into it to hold them. I think I will try it this week.

henry1
01-20-2013, 03:42 PM
Desk name plate looks goog thx for the share

dehrlich
01-20-2013, 04:26 PM
I ordered some Walnut, Mahogony, and Purpleheart to carve six of them from. I have always wanted to work with purpleheart, so I am pretty excited to see how they turn out.

I've worked with purple heart quite a bit. It is very hard and dulls cutters quick, almost always burns when you cut or route it. As you may know it is gray when you cut or sand it. Put out in the sun or let it sit around for a week or so to let it turn back purple before you finish it. Use lacquer or some other UV resistant finish or it will turn brown over time. Oh and it likes to move; twist, cup or bow. Just some advice whether you wanted it or not LOL.

chief2007
01-20-2013, 04:47 PM

Purple Heart Medal, Carved in Purple Heart, had no problems whatsoever.

JuicyCarp
01-20-2013, 04:54 PM
Its such a beautiful wood! But its a bit on the pricey side. Eventually I would love to do some inlay work with purpleheart too.

henry1
01-20-2013, 05:12 PM
looks good chief carve and the wood

woodchip
01-20-2013, 05:29 PM
CHIEF, THATS INCREDIBLE.
Don

JuicyCarp
01-22-2013, 11:31 AM
Chief,

How did you finish that? it feels unjust to just slop on some polyurethane like I have been doing to my signs. Finishing is by far my weak point.

dehrlich
01-22-2013, 12:01 PM
Chief,

How did you finish that? it feels unjust to just slop on some polyurethane like I have been doing to my signs. Finishing is by far my weak point.

As I mentioned, you want to use lacquer or something with UV inhibitor or it will turn a not so pretty brown over time.

chief2007
01-22-2013, 01:05 PM
Dehrlich hit it right on the money - sealed it off with lacquer - satin finish. Just go light and easy over several coats. The lacquer can be harsh on metallic type paints.

Prior to applying the paint and lacquer, I did a final sanding wih a 240 grit sandng brush.

JuicyCarp
01-22-2013, 01:51 PM
Thanks fellas. I appreciate all the help.