PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Nebraska and question!

joyontheplains
01-17-2013, 10:22 AM
Hi to all of you master Carvewright operators! I bought my CW about a year ago. It has been somewhat underused and hasn't been without plenty of operational hitches but when it works I am a happy woman! I am a sign maker and use it for that purpose. Recently I carved some letters out of 1/2" Azek and the outside of the cut out came out very smooth but the letters themselves were rather rough. See pic. I used the 1/8" cutting bit. Any thoughts here? Thank you in advance.

RMarkey
01-17-2013, 11:26 AM
If this is with a newer version of the designer (1.183+) it is a known issue with cut-outs that is being investigated.

fwharris
01-17-2013, 11:33 AM
If this is with a newer version of the designer (1.183+) it is a known issue with cut-outs that is being investigated.

And we thank you sir!!! :cool:

joyontheplains
01-17-2013, 11:42 AM
Oh, okay, well I will stop trying to figure out what I am doing wrong there then! Another question about the forum, how can I get the thread to display the original post first? It always shows the most recent post first which is not what I would like to see.

RMarkey
01-17-2013, 12:13 PM
At the top right, click settings. On the next page, just above the settings section, select "forum actions". Halfway down the page is "thread options".

Or click this link (http://forum.carvewright.com/profile.php?do=editoptions):

Digitalwoodshop
01-17-2013, 02:18 PM
I too use the machine to cut PVC letters. I have decided that the next set I do will be cut from 1/4 inch Hardboard. The Hardboard edges cleaned up with sand paper. Attach the hardboard to the PVC with double sided tape. Rough cut out the letters with a Saber Saw or Band Saw. Use a Router Table and a Bearing Bit to final cut the letters. The Bearing Bit will leave you covered in white PVC but the letters will have a smooth finish.

You could use strips of double sided tape to hold the hardboard to a carrier board to prevent the centers of the letters from moving and snapping a bit OR use TABS and Cut Path. You can also use a 1/16th end mill bit to cut out the hardboard.

And Remember, Outline Pattern is your FRIEND.... Outline TEXT to make a parameter vector cut of the letters.

Place on End is your friend too.... See how I use the dead space on the right side of Designer and a TAPED on Board SCRAP to make FrugAL use of wood..

A little trick I learned from LHR is how to lock the Vector Cut FEED RATE into what I call 1st gear.... Normally a Vector Cut or a Cut Path will cut in 1st gear on corners and faster on long runs that I call 2nd gear...

By locking the feed rate into 1st gear the cut will be smoother. TO do this... I use the machine to cut out Plastic Tags for my Fire side of the Business. I setup the Vector Cuts with NO TABS and use strips of double stick tape on a PVC Board to hold the .080 thick plastic. I select the 1/16 end mill and use a cut off 6 inch long bit from my Rotary Engraver. It is a Plunge Bit and a 1/16th end mill. When the setup is done, I select all the paths again and change the bit to the 1/4 inch Ball Nose Bit. I am still going to use the 1/16th bit but LIE to the machine to make it stay in 1st gear THINKING it has a 1/4 inch bit and needs to go slower... I set the DEPTH for the 1/4 inch bit and let it cut.

I also use place on END and Corner almost all the time as it makes setup easier... I leave a 4 inch dead area on the right side of designer to artificially stay under the rollers all the time but don't select to stay under the rollers.
It also saves on Double Servo Time measuring twice with every project. More wear and tear.

To make some Fonts Thicker, use Bold before you outline them.

Be sure to check out Tips and Tricks on the LHR page too.

Good Luck and WELCOME !!!

AL

badbert
01-17-2013, 10:05 PM
Well I'll be! It finally sunk in AL! That "first gear" method. I have read that method a dozen times, but it finally sunk in! That is an awesome trick! I can't wait to cut something out now!! Thank you AL!!

Digitalwoodshop
01-18-2013, 11:21 AM
Yes, it is helpful.... I bet it would give a smoother cut with a 1/8th inch bit too.... I added it to the Designer Wish List long ago, a additional window that lets you select feed rate on the Vector and Cut Path's. But it is way down on the list.... For now it appears that getting it done FAST is more important than Slower and Smoother. It would be a negative Sales Point if... "It cuts Smooth but BOY IS IT SLOW".... That would not sell CW's... It's all about Speed... I want it NOW Generation.

I would love to see a Selection of Feed Rates... Like Depth of cut and number of passes... Letting us SLOW Down the Feed Rate "If Desired".... It would aid in the Unitarian function of the machine like the mundane cutting of tags and handles....

AL

badbert
01-18-2013, 06:58 PM
It would definitely improve my cut-path successes! I am only about 80% successful. When I load the cutting bit, I stand right by the machine with my finger on the stop button!