PDA

View Full Version : Help Carving an Old Picture

truckman94
01-16-2013, 11:41 AM
Hello Everyone!

I need the help of you expert carvers out there. I have been asked to carve an old black and white photo for my friends grandparents. I am having trouble getting everything to set correctly so that you can recognize the photo. The final size of the carving has to be 29 inches long and 11 inches wide. I will attach a copy of the photo and any help would be greatly appreciated.

fwharris
01-16-2013, 12:29 PM
Extremely large task trying to get this image to carve that large on wood. Being an old black and white photo there is a lot of noise in the image already and trying stretch it out to the size you want will only increase it. Not sure if it would even make a good litho....

truckman94
01-16-2013, 12:38 PM
I can adjust the size of the finished product, the main thing is I need a good quality finished product

lawrence
01-16-2013, 12:55 PM
Welcome to the forum!

I've not had much luck with dithering photos- perhaps someone else has better luck with photoshop/etc

This pic is truly a monster for making a good carving- have you tried the technique spelled out here?
http://www.carvewright.com/assets/tips/EdZBaker_Photo_CarvingPrep_Instructions.pdf

Welcome again, and I hope we can all share in your success
Lawrence

eelamb
01-16-2013, 01:02 PM
Truckman94, the image is not good enough to do anything with, whites are washed out, grainy, and not much as to shades of gray. Faces are the same.
You would not get a "good quality finished product".

truckman94
01-16-2013, 01:41 PM
Yea Lawrence I tried that and it might be like eelamb said its just to poor of a picture to do it with. I talk to the customer and she said the is can be smaller she wants a finished size of 29 x 11 but all of thats not picture. She wants there name at the top and some other words at the bottom. I told her that I would do my best to see what we can come up with cause its an anniversary gift for her grandparents.

CNC Carver
01-16-2013, 01:53 PM
truckman can you scan picture at higher resolution or is original that grainy?

truckman94
01-17-2013, 01:02 PM
Thats how it is naturally

James RS
01-17-2013, 04:06 PM
It looks as it has a stacastic dot pattern, we used print large old photos for a grocery chain and they looked like that

ktjwilliams
01-17-2013, 08:36 PM
No Good !!!! Won't Work with what you have ...

bjbethke
01-17-2013, 09:43 PM
Hello Everyone!

I need the help of you expert carvers out there. I have been asked to carve an old black and white photo for my friends grandparents. I am having trouble getting everything to set correctly so that you can recognize the photo. The final size of the carving has to be 29 inches long and 11 inches wide. I will attach a copy of the photo and any help would be greatly appreciated.

I was able to clean the image with photoshop, but there is no grayscale left in the image, the black color is next to transparent. The image is now 17 MB and too large to post.