PDA

View Full Version : New Here - Bought Two Machines - This Rocks - Need "hel

FdxGuy
02-03-2007, 11:39 PM
All I can say is WOW. I just discovered CarveWright machines two days ago. I managed to buy two units. However I have issues with them which I will get to in a moment.

First, if there was ever a machine designed for me, this is it. I'm a computer nut first and a wannabe wood wanker second. I can never find the desire to spend 20 hours precision tuning my table saw and building jigs and stuff. But I will easily spend 20 hours tweaking code for a perfect interface or spend forever getting that quirky piece of video capture encoding hardware to work right. But....... I still want to make wood stuff, really, really bad, I'm just no good at it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Man, attach a computer to it and I'm rocking. So this is the one and only perfect machine for me enough computer to keep my interest and enough wood working to let me make a computer thing into a real thing! Wow.

Now my serious problems. Well, not that serious but I need your help if you can.

I bought two units, open boxes. Craftsmen units, 21754. I put one on ebay, right here...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=ADME:L:LCA:US:11&item=140082319605

Now, I did that because I bought two of these open box units and this one was only missing the computer software. Because of this forum and some downloads, I solved that problem.

The second unit has some problems and I am hoping to resolve them because my wife will let me keep the second unit if the first one pays for the parts.

The second unit was missing the USB programmer, the knob and sholder bolt and the dust collector bag. I can buy the memory card here. So I'm ok there. Can I get those other parts from Carvewright?

Also, when I was checking this unit out, I cranked the (head?) up to the top. Now when I try to lower it, it does not lower, the clutch just slips. Did I mess it up?????? After that I tried to use another memory card, from the good working unit, to power it up and the LCD does not display anything. I can't tell if it's powered up or not. (note to designers, you can avoid customer service calls with cute LED lights and soothing beeps ;-).

So here are my questions. I need parts beyond the norm. Where can I get them? I tried calling Sears and they did not have what I needed.

How do I lower the thingy when the turner just clicks?

I registered my software and stuff. Do open box units get warranty coverage?

Aren't these the coolest machines ever????!!!!!

Does anyone know what that port on the back is for? Looks like an old style serial connection. Anybody ready to hack these machines to see what else they can do?

Cheers!!!!!

Bill

Normally in the hardware forums I hang out in they list the cool hardware they have in their sigs. Can we do that here? Would it be tacky? What cool wood stuff do you have? I'm pretty sure you have me beat in the wood stuff, I have a table saw I don't know how to use, a router with 3 hours of use and a few nail guns for the jobs that are just too tough for hot glue..... But I would be suprised if anyone here has more computer power in house than I do.

Digitalwoodshop
02-04-2007, 12:10 AM
WELCOME !!!!

Lots of questions and this is the place to find the answers. It's after midnight Eastern so you won't get much action until morning.

Almost every question you asked, the answer can be found using the search function except "Is a open box unit covered under Warranty??? That's a very good question. And can you register the Orphan Units after they have been Adopted by a loving WOOD WORKER family? Bard?? Any insight on that one??

The unit can be lowered with a small drill bit inside the hole in one of the jacking screws and turning. The procedure is here found with a search and it has pictures too.

The programmer, knob, shoulder bolt and dust bag is most likely available from Carve Wright, I am seriously considering bidding on it under "igonavy" my eBay user name. I want a second unit eventually.

Would you fess up to how much you paid for them??? To buy 2, it must have been a good deal.... Could be a trend that guys like me start lurking around Sears stores looking for a second unit....

Just looked and one bid since I first looked at it on eBay. I think i will join the fun.
:twisted:
AL

FdxGuy
02-04-2007, 12:28 AM
Thanks for the Welcome.

I have been lurking for clearance stuff for so long I have lost track.

The second unit is missing lots of parts, the bits, the programmer, the knob for the crank, and the memory card as well as the dust collector. I can understand some scab taking sears to the cleaners and stealing the valuable parts, but the Dust Bag??? What a creep! Anyhow, I got that one cheap, it was missing so much. But I figure I can replace or suffer without it for much of it. Now the complete unit was purchased with the intent to sell it and make a little money to pay for the other unit's missing parts.

So, in reality, the deal is complex and it might not work out for me. But I am hoping to sell the best unit to finance the missing parts on the other unit that I got cheaper. (Does that make sense?)

Thanks for the tips on lowering the head. I found lots of posts. They are still hard for me to search because I do not know what to call the different parts of the machine. So I am still learning the "lingo". Maybe after I get settled in I can find time to write a what is what guide for newbies who have no idea what to call teh top and bottom of this new fangled machine!

Best Regards,

Bill

Digitalwoodshop
02-04-2007, 12:35 AM
That was quick.... and I am out of the game over $1000.00

Interesting feature in the bid info details. % of bids with this customer for the high bidder = 11 %.... My first thought was that it was someone who had bid on other stuff this seller had sold.... Then I looked at my details and it said I had 16% where I had bid on stuff that this person sold..... 2 bids today only....

Learn something new every day. Saw a European eBay where you can't see the other bidders info, just bidder 1, 2, 3, 4.... no details.

AL I Go NAVY.... 8)

Jon Jantz
02-04-2007, 12:40 AM
Welcome to the board... hope it works out and you end up with a good machine out of your dealings, because once you start messing around with these things, you get hooked.

Good luck!!
Jon Jantz

The Bard
02-04-2007, 12:42 AM
*flies in with sun at his back (ok, a lamp since its almost 1 am) and entrance music at his name being called*

Greetings true believers!

In regards to warranty of second owner machines:
I could be wrong here, but I THINK "officially" we do not support second owner machines. That may change in the future... Maybe by shipping it to us for an inspection or 'once-over' when our backlog clears up... that is just something that popped in my head and i'll mention it to Lovechik Monday.

We have all the parts that are missing but we have no price list for parts yet as every machine currently out is under warranty. Talk about a catch 22! This has already come up with owners wanting to buy some parts to stock up just in case they have problems in the future.... great idea! So that's already in the buzz.

Also the name/designation of almost every part or section of the machine is labled in the manual. You can download one here.

Thanks for saving a machine from a neglectful owner!

Digitalwoodshop
02-04-2007, 01:07 AM
As I type under the light of a rusty Zippo lighter, Welcome Bard.... Doing 27 hour days now? That master bathroom must have worked out.... :lol: Bard needs a Theme Song or Music... How about my favorite... Danger Zone from Top Gun..... That's it.... Top Carve.... Bard. "I just crack myself up" (From the movie)

Here, I have just moved my Carve unit 3 times today to get to other tools in my small shop. Playing with Sublimation, trying to keep the lights on.

I lurked around the Shop Bot Forum for more than a year and the biggest pat on the back I saw was for "Support for the SECOND owners of the machines. In most cases they couldn't transfer the software license but Mechanical and Electrical help was always a phone call away.

I mentioned this a while back but what would the resale value be of this machine, return on investment..... I believe it would hold it's value IF supported on the back end.....

Well, that's for the bean counters to hash out.....

I reached my $1000.01 limit on eBay..... Night Night... :wink:

AL

FdxGuy
02-04-2007, 08:26 AM
Bard - It seems you are of almost mythical forum postingness. How on earth do you know all these messages exist and know to respond to them. Jeeze, I gave up and went to bed before I saw your response.

It looks like amazing success has caused CarveWright some growing pains. I've seem this happen before to lots of my customers.... but it's a good thing. When they are trying to struggle through the problems of explosive growth and sales I remind them that the inverse problem is much less fun.

Anyway, I never really considered that the unit would not be covered in some way. I have purchsed many open box items from Sears and they have always been covered like regular units. In most cases I just need to put up with the missing parts that some jerk who returned it decided to steal from Sears. I guess I can return it (again), but I so want to get this thing "throwing chips".

Thanks! This is great to see such a community.

Bill

FdxGuy
02-04-2007, 07:17 PM
*flies in with sun at his back (ok, a lamp since its almost 1 am) and entrance music at his name being called*

Greetings true believers!

There is only one possible selection for theme music.

You will need to change the extension back to .wav - it's not really a PDF file but WAV files are not uploadable.

I have attached it. You will know right away that this is it....

Thanks for the warm welcomes. I am going to sit on the sidelines here until I figure out how to get my machine working so I can try carving wood.

Cheers!

The Bard
02-04-2007, 08:09 PM
LOL the download didn't work on the computer at home (my roommate's since I burned out my CPU chip in November) but i'll try it at work tomorrow... this is funny. I wonder what the people here will say about it hehe.

also, i'll double check on second owners tomorrow as well, it is something that has only recently come up.

also x 2, There is a setting where any thread with a new post since you've been there shows yellow instead of white in Firefox. I don't think IE supports it but I generally use Mozilla anyway.

I lurk in "Carvewright Machine" and "Troubleshooting" and just read every post I've missed since my last visit. But since I visit several times a day, even when off (lame, I know) I usually catch them currently.

Autodoc
02-04-2007, 10:27 PM
In reality there are 4 Brads working around the clock - they each take a 6 hour shift thus impressing all of us!

I agree -- you are a TOP GUN -- a legend in your own mind!

The Bard
02-04-2007, 10:52 PM
funny thing.

I heard an online joke about a tech support person in India talking to someone about their computer.

When asked how many there were he responded that he was the only one.

When asked does he ever sleep, he responded that he took naps for half an hour while he has you on hold. :lol:

I'm Gemini, but that only means two minds, still one body.

Autodoc
02-04-2007, 11:03 PM
I'm Gemini, but that only means two minds, still one body.

Split personality???? Now we are getting to the bottom of this!!

The Bard
02-05-2007, 12:31 AM
there is nothing wrong with us.

ChipMonk
02-05-2007, 07:20 AM
and the beatings will continue until the moral improves :wink:

Gman_Ind
02-05-2007, 09:32 AM
I am currently looking at adopting an orphaned compucarve. Save the poor little guy from a life of neglect.
I am worried about a few things.
1. software registration.
2. firmware updating.
3. replacement parts.
4. probe availability.
I saw the compucarve listed on Ebay before I saw this thread. Funny thing,
Warning!! it looks like 3 auctions with bogus seller in Germany is trying to rip us off. It has the signs of a scam. avaiod the "its too ggod to be true" because it probably is. I have attempted to contact the owner of the account to see if it is legit or a hijacked ID.
Funny don't see carvewqrights on Ebay... :lol:

Julie Coffey
02-05-2007, 10:26 AM
Don't worry about the german seller as of this morning he's been turned in for fee avoidance. Anyone who offers to sell outside of ebay is in direct violation of the sellers agreement. He'll be gone in no time. (probably to resurface) we had the same problem a while back with Viking Husquavarna embroidery machines too.

Julie

The Bard
02-05-2007, 12:22 PM
Julie is the Compupolice....

one problem I had with that beating comment, was WHO was supposed to have their morale improved? it seems to me the beater would have darn good morale hehe.

Autodoc
02-05-2007, 12:52 PM
but sometimes the beatee (sp?) likes the beatings!!! :?: :D :D

FdxGuy
02-05-2007, 01:21 PM
I am currently looking at adopting an orphaned compucarve. Save the poor little guy from a life of neglect.
I am worried about a few things.
1. software registration.
2. firmware updating.
3. replacement parts.
4. probe availability.
I saw the compucarve listed on Ebay before I saw this thread. Funny thing,

I don't know what Carvewright's official policy is on registering the software. However, since the software is really tied to a piece of hardware you must own for it to be useful, I don't know that it makes a difference.

Anyhow, I am a second owner of two Compucarves. One operational and one dead. I did download and register the updated software and managed to load the updated firmware onto the mempry card with no problems.

I did follow the software registration process listed here:
http://www.carvewright.com/downloads/troubleshooting/registration.pdf

It worked perfectly!

I am trying to order replacement parts right now. I'll let you know how it goes.

Blessings,

Bill (Number 8)

Forum thinks it's smarter then me, it tried to turn my 8 and ) into a smile.

The Bard
02-05-2007, 01:26 PM
good luck! i hear the tech guy is a jerk. :evil:

HandTurnedMaple
02-05-2007, 01:28 PM
If he spent half the time working that he does on the computer, our machines might actually work more 30 minutes a day. :twisted:

FdxGuy
02-05-2007, 01:32 PM
good luck! i hear the tech guy is a jerk. :evil:

I heard his problem is that he has parts, but no prices for them!!! They are truly priceless parts.

Cheers,
Bill

Autodoc
02-05-2007, 01:32 PM
Tough crowd :(

HandTurnedMaple
02-05-2007, 01:36 PM
I heard his problem is that he has parts, but no prices for them!!! They are truly priceless parts.

Cheers,
Bill

If he put prices on them, then you would buy them. Then he would lose all his power.

The Bard
02-05-2007, 01:47 PM
:twisted:

Julie Coffey
02-05-2007, 05:49 PM
Julie is the Compupolice....

LOL hardly, but darnit there are rules for a reason. As a seller I HAVE to pay my fee's I honor my products/workmanship I never sell outside of ebay. Unless the items described as being for sale as well locally. I've done that with some horsedrawn buggies and some draft horse harness'.

And if you buy outside of Ebay your on your own. There's no chance for recompense if you get taken. I'm a libra I like a level playing field.

Oh and btw have I mentioned I really am enjoying my machine lately? :lol:

J

The Bard
02-05-2007, 06:13 PM
I'm a Gemini and can do multiple things at once and win every argument.

Digitalwoodshop
02-05-2007, 09:24 PM
Bard Wrote "I heard an online joke about a tech support person in India talking to someone about their computer.

When asked how many there were he responded that he was the only one.

When asked does he ever sleep, he responded that he took naps for half an hour while he has you on hold."

Bard, I just happen to have a photo of that guy with his Bicycle Generator, Laptop, Cell Phone Modem, and handy Users Manuals.

AL

Digitalwoodshop
02-05-2007, 09:34 PM
I started the "And the beatings will continue until the moral improves " It's an old Navy joke in the days of Iron Men and Wooden Ships..... Men rowing a big ship..... It continued in my Navy years as a tong and cheek joke when ever you were "encouraged" (Ordered) to do something you didn't like to do...... Like return to the ship by midnight in a great liberty port like Thailand, Australia, or the Philippines.... 27 countries in 20 years.

US Navy Retired FCC(SW)

AL

Julie Coffey
02-05-2007, 09:50 PM
I'm a Gemini ...and win every argument.

::chuckles:: and I'll just let you keep on thinking that :lol:

J

The Bard
02-05-2007, 11:55 PM
oh man, someone caught me.

You forget the handy American maps so I can say I'm from a city near wherever you're located!

Julie, all Libra's say that!

Julie Coffey
02-06-2007, 12:27 AM
:wink:

The Bard
02-06-2007, 08:56 AM
:wink:

FdxGuy
02-06-2007, 08:46 PM
Some kind of love affair going on there....
:P

Bill
02-10-2007, 06:17 PM
I was out to one of the largest Sears stores in MKE. County today and asked the sails rep. if the had any CompuCarve machines in stock and he promptly answered..No.

I also asked if any machines have been returned and he said none that he knew of. I then proceeded to the return center and asked if there has been any returns on the CompuCarve machines he said no. He then asked me why I was asking and told him there is quite a waiting list and that I would take a machine that has been returned (as long as it had not been misused) he took my name and said he would contact me if one came in. (In reality I was just being nosy just to see how many machines were being returned).

My point is where do the numbers come from that I see in some posts for returns?
Bill.

The Bard
02-10-2007, 07:04 PM
source?

I'd like to know what numbers you are talking about.

Bill
02-10-2007, 07:13 PM
There was also another post I just seen recently but don't remember where it was.

Also, I was told that their return/repair rate is 10%. With most machines only having a few hours on them so far that is incredibly high

http://carvewright.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=682&start=60

Digitalwoodshop
02-10-2007, 10:23 PM
Good Job Bidder 1..... $1,630.00

Good Luck with it.

AL

The Bard
02-10-2007, 10:31 PM
wow, we have,what, 25 machines here to be repaired? and that's over the course of a few weeks... minus the few we get out every day.

Me thinks these numbers are way way WAY off.

Julie Coffey
02-10-2007, 10:39 PM

Yeah with my Compucarve ;p BRAT!!!

LOL

Julie

Bill
02-11-2007, 05:36 AM
Well my Brother-in-law would like to buy a CompuCarve machine and I thought while I was at Sears I would snoop around and see if there was one available and found out there are no new or returned machines to be had ... so he will just have to wait like every one else.

That's why I asked where/how these numbers are arrived at, I also think these numbers are all bogas.

The Bard
02-11-2007, 07:18 PM
once again a man is being replaced by a machine

*runs*

FdxGuy
02-15-2007, 07:48 AM

Yeah with my Compucarve ;p BRAT!!!

-- Dashing Bard's hopes against the rocks, forever breaking his tender heart.

FdxGuy
02-15-2007, 07:52 AM
That's why I asked where/how these numbers are arrived at, I also think these numbers are all bogas.

I heard that 87.6 percent of numbers used in forum posts are made up by the author.

:shock:

The Bard
02-15-2007, 08:52 AM
anyone can make up stats and make them sound official.

93.5% of people know this.