PDA

View Full Version : Do you think this will work ?

jwidmann
01-15-2013, 05:54 PM
Well after 2 years of just sitting in my shop, my machine now has 10 hrs on it. After a month of trial and error I think I came up with a way to put a photo on wood and have it look like a photo.See the attatchment below and tell me what you guys think. Thanks Jim

lawrence
01-15-2013, 06:36 PM
I'd be interested in seeing the MPC for that type of file- I'm having a hard time seeing the actual depths (is this a tracing image?)

Lawrence

DickB
01-15-2013, 06:43 PM
I tried something similar a while ago, after someone posted about a similar technique. Mine was only a test; it needs some refinement. It works, but not everyone likes the effect.

fwharris
01-15-2013, 06:45 PM
Looks like a possibility!! This a "bit/dot" image?

DickB
01-15-2013, 06:49 PM
I used a drawing program - GIMP IIRC - that has a newsprint-type conversion tool. Big dots closely spaced = dark, small dots sparsely spaced = light. Adjust the dot size in the final pattern on board to be no smaller than 1/16" and use the carving bit. You can use line conversions instead of dots. If vertical lines were used it would carve efficiently I imagine.

jwidmann
01-15-2013, 07:15 PM
Lawrence, I used Gimp to import a picture, cropped it and save to import into Designer. Then I used the newsprint filter in gimp and saved that file.
after that I imported the newsprint file into Illustrator and traced it and saved it as a .ai file. Convert the .ai file to .mpc using ai2mpc .Now in Designer,
load the converted .mpc file, then open a new tab and import your picture. Set the depth of the picture at .1 then go to the other tab and select all the .ai
paths copy and then paste on top of the carved pic which is flipped. assign the 60 degree v bit to the lines and set them to about .04 to .07. Thats it in a nut shell.

bjbethke
01-15-2013, 08:16 PM
Well after 2 years of just sitting in my shop, my machine now has 10 hrs on it. After a month of trial and error I think I came up with a way to put a photo on wood and have it look like a photo.See the attatchment below and tell me what you guys think. Thanks Jim I would say no, not in that format, it may work in a "G" scale but not in the CW format. It will make an image, but not a great PTN.

badbert
01-15-2013, 08:36 PM
Alan Malstrom method of creating carveable faces. But you have to take a special photograph.

jwidmann
01-17-2013, 02:45 PM
Well, I got around to carving it today and seems to work. This is it with no stain but just angled towards the light.59025