PDA

View Full Version : I am thinking of purchasing a Carvewright

airborne369
01-15-2013, 09:32 AM
I am thinking of purchasing a Carvewright to make customsigns. Can I use my own art or do I have to use what is available on the website? If I can use mine what format does it need to be in and how do I importit. Thank you for your help.

Ton80
01-15-2013, 09:57 AM
I am not an expert by any stretch and I'm sure the pro's on the forum will be responding to you shortly, but the short answer is probably "yes" if you can import your art in a format that works with Designer ( the proprietary software package that you use with the Carvewright machine ). I suppose it would help others to answer your question if you provide the file formats you keep your personal collection of artwork under.

You can also import grayscale images that will work at patterns that allow you to create 3D carvings. I don't do much with 3D carvings myself but there are plenty of users successfully building their collection of homemade patterns using free software like GIMP, or commercial alternatives like PS and Corel. Generally, the file format most will use to import these images would be PNG but JPG works also. There is an import option in the file menu of Designer.

I believe you can download Designer and play with it for a trial period and that might help you work through some of the info you will get once more experienced users jump in here

lawrence
01-15-2013, 10:03 AM
You can absolutely both make your own art or you can use what is available on the website or you can get lots of free patterns here.

I did a few youtube videos a while back-- they are poorly done and by no means cover all the things that are possible, but they cover some of the things you can do

There have been several notable software advances since these videos were made (notably the 2d and 3d tools) which help further pattern making even more.

I hope these help- they are by no means the end-all-be-all for the software. These vids were just me "dumping my brain" onto video a few months ago. I have learned MUCH more since these were made... the CW is so easy to learn and so complicated to master....

Lawrence

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMyGKgMv4Q0&feature=player_detailpage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fc5dxZ4ShqE&feature=player_detailpage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=K_hfKSeeTws

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=wwXiIS4ytiE

lawrence
01-15-2013, 10:04 AM
and one more video
Lawrence

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRCNHaZ2qW8&feature=player_detailpage

fwharris
01-15-2013, 10:48 AM
Great job Lawrence!!!

airborne369
01-15-2013, 11:06 AM
Thank you for the help. I will be working with the 30 day trialsoftware. I am looking forward to when Iget mine, hopefully in the near future.

TerryT
01-15-2013, 11:30 AM
Very nice video's Lawrence.

chief2007
01-15-2013, 11:46 AM
Thank you for the help. I will be working with the 30 day trialsoftware. I am looking forward to when Iget mine, hopefully in the near future.

Here is a link to do a layaway for a Carvewright - take a look and read it over and see if it might be something for you in order to get a carvewriight.

http://store.carvewright.com/product.php?productid=19335&cat=0

airborne369
01-15-2013, 02:14 PM
Here is a link to do a layaway for a Carvewright - take a look and read it over and see if it might be something for you in order to get a carvewriight.

http://store.carvewright.com/product.php?productid=19335&cat=0

Thank you Chief. Ihave the money it’s that the military may not get paid if congress doesn't raisethe debt ceiling. I don’t want to be left in a bad situation. One part of mesays take the chance and the other part says wait. I just don’t know how longthis will take for them to figure this out.

chief2007
01-15-2013, 02:33 PM
Thank you Chief. Ihave the money it’s that the military may not get paid if congress doesn't raisethe debt ceiling. I don’t want to be left in a bad situation. One part of mesays take the chance and the other part says wait. I just don’t know how longthis will take for them to figure this out.

I hear that - I retired in 2011 - I can't count how many times I had to deal with the same sort of thing. It will all work out I am sure. Let us know when you get one.

JuicyCarp
01-15-2013, 02:37 PM
Airborne, are you by any chance stationed at Bragg?

airborne369
01-15-2013, 02:51 PM
I hear that - I retired in 2011 - I can't count how many times I had to deal with the same sort of thing. It will all work out I am sure. Let us know when you get one.

I have 2 more years and I can retire. I will post on here when I get one. I am sure I will have some questions.

lawrence
01-15-2013, 03:03 PM
I have my retirement orders sitting on my dresser :)

296 days left for me (not that I'm counting) - USAF
I've loved every (well most) minute of it though-

Lawrence

airborne369
01-15-2013, 04:11 PM
Airborne, are you by any chance stationed at Bragg?

I just PCS'ed from Bragg

airborne369
01-15-2013, 04:16 PM
I have my retirement orders sitting on my dresser :)

296 days left for me (not that I'm counting) - USAF
I've loved every (well most) minute of it though-

Lawrence

That is great. The Army has been good but I am ready to retire.

Digitalwoodshop
01-16-2013, 02:30 PM
I have been retired for 18 years.

Since you are looking at doing signs it would be worth looking into someday doing Awards and Plaques. Two other Forums to look at if your interested in learning more is Sawmill Creek and Engraving Etc.

There is a process called CLTT or Color Laser Toner Transfer. It uses a special coated paper that you print using a color laser paper printer with a bypass tray. It lets you use a heat press to apply text to brass tags and much more. Then there is Sublimation, similar but with special ink and paper and a heat press too. Like printing a T Shirt. I do the Fire Tags and Plaques as seen on my site. Then there is the Laser Engraver side of Awards.... Lots to think about.... The CW is a GREAT place to Start....

Good LUCK,

AL

FCC(SW) Navy Retired, Fire Control Chief Surface Warfare

cestout
01-16-2013, 04:31 PM
Lawrence, I was discharged from the USAF Friday the 13, Jan '61 at Luke AFB in Phoenix. I had been a the 612th AC&W Squadron (gone now) in Ajo. They sent me there from Thule Greenland. My #2 son has been bouncing between active and reserve for many years after 8 active. He runs the body and fender shop for KC135s and C17s at March ARB here. My oldest grandson is a senior in HS, but has already signed up and will be going to basic late this summer. He signed for 6 years. His aim is eventually - para rescue.
Clint

chief2007
01-16-2013, 05:43 PM
Lawrence, I was discharged from the USAF Friday the 13, Jan '61 at Luke AFB in Phoenix. I had been a the 612th AC&W Squadron (gone now) in Ajo. They sent me there from Thule Greenland. My #2 son has been bouncing between active and reserve for many years after 8 active. He runs the body and fender shop for KC135s and C17s at March ARB here. My oldest grandson is a senior in HS, but has already signed up and will be going to basic late this summer. He signed for 6 years. His aim is eventually - para rescue.
Clint

Now that's just too funny Clint, I was born on Friday the 13th 1961.

lynnfrwd
01-16-2013, 06:54 PM
Ouch!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lawrence
01-16-2013, 06:56 PM
...I wasn't even a twinkle.... ;)

You guys make me feel young...

...but I'll bet I make you guys feel smart- so we're even!

airborne369
01-17-2013, 09:26 AM
Al I have looked into the laser engraver and they cost too much. Like you said the CW is a good place to start. I will have to look into the other things you are talking about. Thanks for the info.

airborne369
01-17-2013, 03:16 PM
I want to thank everyone for the information you gave me. I took everything you posted and used the trialsoftware for the last two days. I want to let you all know I submitted my orderfor a CW. I look forward to working with you all.
V/R
Bill

lawrence
01-17-2013, 03:23 PM
Excellent! Be sure to ask lots of questions- we all had them at the beginning (and I still do!)

Lawrence

badbert
01-17-2013, 09:57 PM
...I wasn't even a twinkle.... ;)

You guys make me feel young...

...but I'll bet I make you guys feel smart- so we're even! LOL Good save there Lawrence!!