PDA

View Full Version : multi-pass carving & conform

Clyde Cochrane
01-14-2013, 10:44 PM
Got 2 questions for the experts out there.

1) I am having some challenges with Y-axis stalls when the carving bit is going from a .000 surface to about a .45 surface over a straight drop. Is there a way to define the maximum pass depth with the 1/16" carving bit so as to prevent this or do I need to shallow out the drop? Also, yes, I have a fairly new bit (<1 month old), I clean the rails religiously after every carve, I have retensioned the Y-guide, and I vacuum everything out after every carve.

2) On the conform function, is there a way to conform a pattern over another design? I am working on a cannon for my artillery bretheren and want to put a pattern design on the barrel of the cannon.

Thanks for any info anyone can provide.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Cochrane Creations at www.facebook.com/cochranecreations

fwharris
01-14-2013, 11:44 PM
try adding "feather" around the pattern area so that the bit is not plunging directly to the full depth.
Also check the Y gear drive box and bearings for any looseness.

If you putting a pattern on top of another pattern try the "merge" feature. The "conform" feature is for adding vector "V" carves, centerline text, imported dxf files and tool paths on a carved surface (carve regions and patterns).

Clyde Cochrane
01-14-2013, 11:50 PM
On the merge feature, i have always been confused as to how to effectively use the feature. Do I have to select both and then apply "additive" or "subtractive"? What about clip carving? Is there a tutorial or documentation that covers TTPs for this feature?

badbert
01-15-2013, 12:11 AM
Also check to make sure that the truck moves smoothly, a broken gear or a worn pulley bearing could cause this problem too. Also try using optimal settings when you upload the project to the card.

fwharris
01-15-2013, 12:13 AM
See if these help you out..

http://www.carvewright.com/assets/tips/CarveWright_Tips_and_Tricks_Nov07.pdf

http://www.carvewright.com/assets/tips/CarveWright_Tips_and_Tricks_Oct07.pdf

DickB
01-15-2013, 08:40 AM
In my opinion a y-axis stall is a machine maintenance issue, and a work-around in Designer is just that. I think you need to find the problem with the machine. If you do a search on y-axis stall you will find troubleshooting steps.

henry1
01-15-2013, 09:00 AM
Sometime its a bearing issue or rhe Y gear bearing , if it stalls sound to me its a bearing

Clyde Cochrane
01-15-2013, 11:53 AM
Sometime its a bearing issue or rhe Y gear bearing , if it stalls sound to me its a bearing

How would I check on the bearing? Are you talking about the y-axis fixed roller bearings on the Z-truck? If so, what would I look for? Is it a lubrication/cleaning issue?

fwharris
01-15-2013, 12:16 PM
How would I check on the bearing? Are you talking about the y-axis fixed roller bearings on the Z-truck? If so, what would I look for? Is it a lubrication/cleaning issue?

With the power off move the truck by hand to see/feel/hear any resistance/clicking etc. Also take the bearing sweep covers off to view the rotation of the bearings. Mark the bearing (all) with a line at about the same place on each and as you move the truck notice the rotation of the lines. The lines should be matched up as they rotate. If not that would show the one that might be dragging.

Also while moving the truck look at the Y motor gear to see if there is any play/movement.

Ton80
01-15-2013, 01:53 PM
I know you said the carving bit is new but check it under a bright light just to verify it's not chipped in any way. The last time I got this type of error it was a bit that was somewhat dull cutting a pattern in Oak. I installed a new bit and the error hasn't been seen since so a dull or possibly chipped bit could cause the problem.

Clyde Cochrane
01-16-2013, 02:53 AM
Appreciate all the tips. Have followed them all, bearings are good and cleaned, bit is good. Checked my cut motor hours, and now am over 250. Have ordered new brushes to replace them, but when I ran a test carve tonight, had the same y axis stall as the bit was going over a cliff. So I am wondering, could worn cut motor brushes cause variations in the cut motor speed when going deep and putting a load on the motor, causing a stall? Appreciate any insight into this.

chief2007
01-16-2013, 04:44 AM
Appreciate all the tips. Have followed them all, bearings are good and cleaned, bit is good. Checked my cut motor hours, and now am over 250. Have ordered new brushes to replace them, but when I ran a test carve tonight, had the same y axis stall as the bit was going over a cliff. So I am wondering, could worn cut motor brushes cause variations in the cut motor speed when going deep and putting a load on the motor, causing a stall? Appreciate any insight into this.

You said you are over 250 hours, if you haven't done so you need to change the y motor bearings. This would be the most likely reason for your y axis stall.

Around 250 hour mark, the bearings wear out and need to be replaced. I just had y bearings go out at the 189 hr mark on a machine.

Replaced the bearings - no more y axis stall.

Clyde Cochrane
01-16-2013, 10:16 AM
Is there a guide to changing the bearings? I have searched the forums, and have even tried to get the bearings out on an old Y-motor that failed on me, both to no avail. Not exactly sure how to get the bearings out so that I can replace them.

chief2007
01-16-2013, 10:46 AM
Here is one link to a thread - search bearing replacement. Al aka digitalwoodshop has pictures posted - I will look for them and post the thread

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?22069-Changing-Y-and-Z-transmission-bearings.&highlight=bearing+replacement

chief2007
01-16-2013, 10:51 AM
Here is a thread with a picture http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?21568-Problem-with-Y-truck&highlight=bearing+replacement

One bearing is removed from the back the other is removed from the front. You can use a small punch to help pop them out, usually the inside bearing comes out with the gear shaft.

Here is a link to buy beairngs if you don't have any - http://www.avidrc.com/product/1/bearings/170/5x11x5-Metal-685ZZ-bearings.html

henry1
01-16-2013, 12:30 PM
CHIEF YOUR THE MAN i BOUGHT SOME BEARING FROM THEM WORK GOOD sorry for the caps and was looking were to buy them again

dltccf
01-16-2013, 01:54 PM
You said you are over 250 hours, if you haven't done so you need to change the y motor bearings. This would be the most likely reason for your y axis stall.

Around 250 hour mark, the bearings wear out and need to be replaced. I just had y bearings go out at the 189 hr mark on a machine.

Replaced the bearings - no more y axis stall.

I am at 183 hours and periodically getting y axis stall. So I just ordered 4 from your link, at $1 each doesn't seem worth it to only order two.

Clyde Cochrane
01-16-2013, 11:57 PM
OK, so I replaced the Y-bearings and I even replaced my flex shaft cable with another cable that I had purchased from LRH as a spare. Did a test carve (mpc attached) with no issues and thought I would try to run that carve that kep stalling out (mpc attached). Got the same stall in the same place as before (see pictures). The only thing that I haven't been able to replace is the cut motor brushes, because they are on backorder at LRH and I am waiting on them to be shipped. The only thing that I can think is that the brushes are worn down enough (over 250 hours) that when a heavy load is put on the bit that it stalls out, but I do not know enough about motors to know if this could be the case. Anyone have any ideas?58999590005900159002

fwharris
01-17-2013, 12:28 AM
It is easy to check the brushes. Take the cover off the CW and you can remove the top brush cap to check the condition of the top brush. Use a fat tipped screw driver and be careful not to strip out the slot. I had one I had to cut a new slot with the dremle tool to get it removed.

Hard to tell but what bit are you using? 1/16 or 3/16?

Clyde Cochrane
01-24-2013, 12:28 AM
Sorry it took so long to reply. Using a 1/16" bit, and replaced the motor brushes. They were worn down to less than half, which I believe was significantly reducing the efficiency of the cut motor. So I replaced them, and am running a cut now where I was getting Y-axis stalls on deep cuts. So far, so good, I have gotten past two of the previous stall locations. One other question, though. Got my hands on some of the CRC dry moly lube and lubed the flex shaft, expecting it to work well. However, am experiencing some significant heating around the point of maximum curve. I thought that this dry lube was supposed to be the best thing?59217

badbert
01-24-2013, 01:58 AM
Be careful! You could melt your sheathing if it gets too hot! LHR now sells the proper lube!

Clyde Cochrane
01-24-2013, 02:13 AM
I know. Unfortunately, LRH will not ship the lube to me here in Hawaii, where I am stationed. Not exactly sure why, but it is what it is. Trying to work around it. On a good note, had a good carve with no issues, so I guess replacing the motor brushes made the difference.

badbert
01-24-2013, 02:21 AM
Pictures!! LOL Congrats!

bergerud
01-24-2013, 02:29 AM
I have over 600 hours on my flex. Never gets even warm. Have used the Gunk Liquid Wrench industrial chain lube with moly L176 all along.

henry1
01-24-2013, 03:53 AM
I have over 600 hours on my flex. Never gets even warm. Have used the Gunk Liquid Wrench industrial chain lube with moly L176 all along.
I am using the same as dan and have a 1000 hrs on it not getting warm at all

chief2007
01-24-2013, 07:00 AM
I know. Unfortunately, LRH will not ship the lube to me here in Hawaii, where I am stationed. Not exactly sure why, but it is what it is. Trying to work around it. On a good note, had a good carve with no issues, so I guess replacing the motor brushes made the difference.

I am using Cyclo

Here is the link via amazon http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003XZHC4G/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00.

The down side is you have to buy a 6 pack - but the price is only $39. After I found this and gave it a try - machine flex shafts temps runs 80 - 90 degrees max.
If you get it - remove the flex shaft form the sheathing, place it in a large plastic bag or a plastic container with a lid, give it a good spray seal the bag or close the container and let it set over night if you can for the best results.
Then remove the shaft wide it down with a rag really good and reinstall.

Also Cranes Cam is another really good shaft lube. Here is the link for it a little goes a long way http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CRN-99002-1/
Low temps as well.