PDA

View Full Version : Two tone stain on cherry.

dehrlich
01-14-2013, 12:30 AM
So I have a request to do a multi layer sign with two tone staining on cherry wood. I'm thinking there is a problem. If I do say a darker stain on the background and leave the lettering natural, once the cherry naturally ages and turns dark it won't look as good correct? Has anyone done this before? I would have to stain pretty dark to still have a contrast in say 20 years. No matter what finish I use it will not prevent the natural aging. Thoughts and suggestions? I think I will have to suggest a different species.

lawrence
01-14-2013, 07:07 AM
good forward thinking, but don't worry too much about it.

I've seen some cherry stained carving that looks just fine after many years- it isn't as stark of a contrast but it still looks great. Natural dirt/dust/etc accumulating seems to help keep a contrast too. If I can get a picture the next time I'm over I'll take one for you. (it is a hand carved marriage plaque at a friend's house)

Lawrence

dehrlich
01-14-2013, 06:59 PM
This is going to be the trick, trying to stain the majority of the sign and leaving the top layer (first names) and the hearts natural without getting stain on them. Thinking if I carefully apply lacquer to the parts staying natural since it's thicker than shellac, and use a gel stain since it's thicker, maybe I can get by with it. Any suggestions?

JuicyCarp
01-14-2013, 07:07 PM

This sign was carved from pine, but the darker letters were dyed mahogany. I use analine dyes. In this case a coat of polyurethane was applied over the bare pine, then the letters were dyed. The poly seemed to keep the dye from running at all.

Kevin

lawrence
01-14-2013, 07:17 PM
This is going to be the trick, trying to stain the majority of the sign and leaving the top layer (first names) and the hearts natural without getting stain on them. Thinking if I carefully apply lacquer to the parts staying natural since it's thicker than shellac, and use a gel stain since it's thicker, maybe I can get by with it. Any suggestions?

Yup, coat the whole thing in a washcoat of 1# shellac, slop the stain into the background (a little care will help), then wipe any drips off the lettering/hearts with a kitchen sponge or rag dipped in mineral spirits. keep rinsing/squeezing the sponge to keep it cleanish and you'll be able to get almost all the color off where you don't want it (if you don't let the stain harden) After drying, you can always sand off the letters to remove anything that didn't come off with your first attempt

Lawrence

dehrlich
01-14-2013, 08:00 PM
Would be so much easier to just paint the highlighted parts LOL

lawrence
01-14-2013, 08:16 PM
that works too- I just thought you wanted stain in the background similar to these
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u313/ldr_klr/Carvewright/beer%20box/dogfish4.jpg
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u313/ldr_klr/Carvewright/checkers/checkers11024x768.jpg
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u313/ldr_klr/Carvewright/coffee%20grinder/coffeegrinder101024x768.jpg

Lawrence

unitedcases
01-14-2013, 08:31 PM
This is how we have been doing it. Using cypress and dealing with shellac. Then painting two colors and then laying three coats of spar urethane. Ready for the outside.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

lawrence
01-14-2013, 08:37 PM
yup, that works too- it just takes me longer/I have to be more careful about the painting :) My artistry skills pale compared to many of y'alls...

Lawrence

dehrlich
01-14-2013, 08:41 PM
No, I would like to paint, the customer wants stain so the grain shows... so guess who wins LOL. Just don't want to mess it up 'cause this is going to be like a 7 hour carve. Hopefully once I change to the Rock, I can best quality and get optimal results to save time.

Just finished this one... too bad I can't sell 'em!

unitedcases
01-14-2013, 08:59 PM
We have been trying to figure the two tone stain out but just too busy to really drop everything and experiment with new stuff.

Northwoods Woodcrafter
01-14-2013, 09:27 PM
I work with cherry all the time and you're absolutely correct that the unstained cherry will darken with age. I've heard that it takes UV light to get it to darken, so you might try to finish the lettering with something that blocks UV light. I think I'll give that a try myself. It doesn't takelong for cherry to darken in direct sun. I'll coat half a scrap board and report back.

Pete

dehrlich
01-15-2013, 06:39 AM
Well customers being customers, they changed thier mind and want to go with maple. Also want the first names and the date/heart line stained with the rest left natural. I think my project just got a lot easier.

lawrence
01-15-2013, 07:26 AM
congrats! Don't ya love it when that happens

Lawrence

rcdages
01-15-2013, 12:17 PM
Kevin,

Outstanding sign you carved.

What is the name of the script font you used and were did you get it??

henry1
01-15-2013, 12:53 PM
real nice carve keep it up

dehrlich
01-15-2013, 02:43 PM
Thanks. Font on the jayhawk sign is called "corbel". One I already had, not sure where I got it.

Am looking in to getting a crafters license from KU and KSU. I posted this pic on Facebook and everybody wants one. Hard to paint, don't see why $80 would be unreasonable do you?

Bigtyme
01-15-2013, 02:50 PM
$80 is a very good price, dehrlich. that is a lot of carving and painting. You might want to think about adding a motor and clock hands and charging $100. The motor will set you back about $4 and the CW can handle all the work to get it ready for the motor....

rcdages
01-15-2013, 05:07 PM
[QUOTE=JuicyCarp;194747]58928

This sign was carved from pine, but the darker letters were dyed mahogany. I use analine dyes. In this case a coat of polyurethane was applied over the bare pine, then the letters were dyed. The poly seemed to keep the dye from running at all.

Kevin[/QUOTE

Sorry for the mis understanding. this script is the one I wanted to know about.

JuicyCarp
01-15-2013, 05:20 PM
The script is Edwardian Script, and it was already on my computer, either with the designer or part of MS Word. It seems to be a favorite though! I am about to start my 14th carve using that script, ive only had this machine for a couple of weeks!

lawrence
01-15-2013, 06:38 PM
in my haste I neglected to say how nice your carves are- I'll have to try that kind of "overlay"

Lawrence

rcdages
01-16-2013, 08:37 AM
Thank you Kevin for the name.
With the name one can fine the font much faster.

I found the font on font.com

cestout
01-16-2013, 04:57 PM
Yea, I have that one but have never carved it. I will have to try it. Thanks
Clint

dehrlich
01-19-2013, 06:19 PM
This is how my project came out. Could have been better but for a first attempt, and since it's a give-away it will do. Think I'm going to try doing a two carve version next time; do carve regions on the main sign, glue a contrasting wood on then do a final carve.

mathman
01-20-2013, 10:00 AM
Came out very nice!

badbert
01-20-2013, 12:46 PM
Good Job dehrlich!

rcdages
01-21-2013, 08:53 AM
Came out very nice.

easybuilt
01-21-2013, 10:34 AM
That came out awesome!

dehrlich
01-21-2013, 01:54 PM
Thanks everyone. Took about 2 hours of sanding. I should have added more draft to the small letters then they would not have been so rough on the sides, and had a little chip out on some of the ends of the letters. Comes with experience I guess. I would have liked the stain to be darker as well. I think it would have looked a little better with paint.

unitedcases
01-21-2013, 04:24 PM
Remember darren, you don't have to be good to paint, just patient. But that came out very good. I think I may revisit our approach to our signs with the two tones. Nice job.