PDA

View Full Version : Designer

ONLY WINGE
01-13-2013, 03:39 PM
:cry: I am not sure where to post this , When I am in designer and want to save a project, I go to save as and at this time a window comes up very fast just the outline is seen for a breef mement almost like a shadow,then the computer lockes up . I can not close designer or do anything. I have to shut down and restart the computer.When I try to shut it down a message say's wateing for "save as" to close , but nothing happens I have to force it to close and shut down. Any HELP PLEASE I can not save any work. Jim

lawrence
01-13-2013, 04:15 PM
are you using the most current (updated) version of designer?

Lawrence

ONLY WINGE
01-13-2013, 04:25 PM
I have 1.186 i think this is the newist. Evon if I try to open the file folder at top left the same thing happens, I have to shut the computer down. I have talked to LHR and spent one hour and thirty minute with a tech. on my dime and I live in Alaska , he that seam to know as much as myself and that is not a complement. They did not have a clue. Jim

fwharris
01-13-2013, 04:34 PM
How long ago did you install the upgrade?

eelamb
01-13-2013, 04:34 PM
How big is your favorites file. If it is too large designer does strange things.

ONLY WINGE
01-13-2013, 04:37 PM
My computer favorites file or designer ? Designer has ony a very few in it. My computer file has a lot. Jim

Canemaker
01-13-2013, 04:37 PM
What operating system are you using,sometimes this makes a difference when uploading the newest version of the software.

ONLY WINGE
01-13-2013, 04:38 PM
I use windows 7 is that what you mean? Jim

Capt Bruce
01-13-2013, 04:43 PM
When you installed the Designer software did you right click and select RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR?

ONLY WINGE
01-13-2013, 04:43 PM
Yes I did.

SteveNelson46
01-13-2013, 04:51 PM
Instead of shutting down try pressing the "Ctrl" "Alt" "Del" keys at the same time. From the popup select "Task Manager". You can also right click on the task bar at the bottom of your screen and select "task Manager" In the task manager window find "GUI' and click on it. Then select "End Task".

To solve the original problem I would make a backup of your Carvewright folder (located at c:\users\your user name\Carvewright). Then using the control panel, Programs and Features uninstall the Carvewright program. After rebooting, reinstall using the latest release of the Carvewright program. Be sure to install as administrator. This may be like going after the fly with a hand grenade but, should fix your problem.

ONLY WINGE
01-13-2013, 04:56 PM
I am not sure I understant it all , but I will try. Jim

ONLY WINGE
01-13-2013, 05:32 PM
I did it and nothing has changed, I can not open a file or anything from a clipboard it locks up same as befor . I am getting very frustrated when LHR can not help this is a lot of money to use as a boat anchor.What is the gui ext 32 for in the windows task manager? Jim

SteveNelson46
01-13-2013, 05:44 PM
Jim

Do it again. This time delete the Carvewirght folder before reinstalling. If this doesn't work, the problem is with your computer/Windows and not the Designer software or the machine.

mathman
01-13-2013, 05:44 PM
I did it and nothing has changed, I can not open a file or anything from a clipboard it locks up same as befor . I am getting very frustrated when LHR can not help this is a lot of money to use as a boat anchor. Jim

I don't see anywhere in this thread where you said you contacted LHR and what they didn't do for you - what have you asked them when you contacted LHR? and when did you first try contacting LHR? Knowing that might help someone give you more information.

ONLY WINGE
01-13-2013, 05:48 PM
Yes it is in this thread I did talk to an LHR tech. for one hour and 30 min. The tech I talked to hade no more info or things to try than I did. In short they stopped replying to my emails and I did not call them back.The conversation was way to long to put here. That is why I am on the forum to see if another member might be able to help. What I have learned from the members I have tried with no good result. The save as window and when I try to get something from the clipboard, just quickly comes up and goes away then everything locks up.
Jim

henry1
01-13-2013, 06:48 PM
I will send you a private message and maybe I can get on you puter from my place and help if that ok with you

SteveNelson46
01-13-2013, 06:51 PM
Jim

You can try a Windows System Rollback (restore). From the Control Panel select "Recovery". Then click on "Open System Restore". Click on "Next". Select the small checkbox in the lower left corner ( show more restore points). Pick a date when you know the Designer was working and then select "Next" Click on "Finish" Let Windows complete the restore process without interruption. You may have to reinstall some programs that were originally installed after the restore point date. Uninstall the Carvewright program and reinstall. This may or may not fix your problem but, it's a place to start.

lawrence
01-13-2013, 06:53 PM
Jim

You can try a Windows System Rollback (restore). From the Control Panel select "Recovery". Then click on "Open System Restore". Click on "Next". Select the small checkbox in the lower left corner ( show more restore points). Pick a date when you know the Designer was working and then select "Next" Click on "Finish" Let Windows complete the restore process without interruption. You may have to reinstall some programs that were originally installed after the restore point date. Uninstall the Carvewright program and reinstall. This may or may not fix your problem but, it's a place to start.

This was about to be my recommendation... It sounds like there is something going on with your 'puter that is interfering with writing over certain files.

Lawrence

lynnfrwd
01-13-2013, 08:13 PM
You said you had lots of patterns. How many favorites folders? Did you buy a disk full of patterns from eBay? Too many can slow down the processing of your computer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ONLY WINGE
01-13-2013, 09:25 PM
I have only bought patterns from carvewright store. No other location at this time. Reinstalling the programs I may loose is realy not an option I want to take. There has got to be someone that can fix this, I realy thought LHR was the cure my mistake.I do have a lot of folders and patterns in my favorats in designer. Is there some way to lessin this, should I put more in each folder, or is there another soulation to this possible problem? I have around 27 folders. Any more ideas PLEASE Jim

fwharris
01-13-2013, 10:13 PM
Jim,

With that many folder/patterns in your favorites list it could very well be your problem.

One thing to try is to MOVE the favorites file out of the location it is at (C:\Users\Owner\CarveWright) and re start designer to see if the problem clears.

When you restart designer it should only have the basic folder and maybe some of the purchased patterns

lynnfrwd
01-13-2013, 11:05 PM
We are seeing multiple favorites folders being an issue more and more.

ONLY WINGE
01-13-2013, 11:05 PM
How do I move the folders without loosing them?

chebytrk
01-13-2013, 11:15 PM
This type issue is something that most "ol' timers" have seen quite a few times by different users throught out the years. I would like to think that a "solution/fix/workaround" would be placed HIGH on the Designer software "want list". Either that or perhaps a software or code engineer could come up with a way to run a .exe file which could move ptn files out of the Designer library and place them in some type of alternate library folder which could be selected when looking for ptn files. I just think that as much as we have in highly skilled experts in different fields that we've seen in our Forum, there has to be someone OR someone who knows someone that can come up with some type of workaround because this is actually a continuing thing. Maybe not often, but the exact problem occurs each time. I recall someone saying to rename a certain file which actually causes Designer to create a new library when it's reopened. However, the new library goes back to the default basic ptn files that came with the Designer program & although the old or purchased ptn files are not lost, they can't be viewed in the noe new library. Anyone is welcome to chime in & see what they recall on this topic from "times passed".

mathman
01-13-2013, 11:27 PM
Yes it is in this thread I did talk to an LHR tech. for one hour and 30 min.

Oops - sorry, missed that on my first read through.

fwharris
01-13-2013, 11:42 PM
How do I move the folders without loosing them?

right click on the favorites file and a box will open, select MOVE TO FOLDER, then select DESKTOP.

You will not loose the file it will just be on your desk top, computer screen.

After verifiying that this fixed your problem. you can re install it by double clicking it.

To help with pattern orginazation I would suggest setting up your pattern folders ( .ptn patterms and .mpc projects) on your hard drive just like you have them listed in your pattern list. I you want to spend the time or have some time to kill you can add images of the patterns by doing screen captures to make it easier to view them before bring them into designer..

ONLY WINGE
01-14-2013, 12:08 AM
Do you mean right click on the favorits file in designer? if so I right clicked and what came up was" New , Delete ,Rename and Import" I did not see any other choices. I must not understand just how or what you mean.HOW DO YOU GET TO THE SCREENS THAT YOU ATTACHED TO YOUR LAST REPLY ? Jim

fwharris
01-14-2013, 01:11 AM
close out designer to start with.

go to the start buttom (bottom left corner of your computer screen), click START, COMPUTER,

You should have a screen up like that shows HARD DISK DRIVE C: double click on the C: drive

find a folder named USERS click on it , you should then see a folder named either OWNER or your name, click on it..

It should open up a window and the CarveWright folder should be there. click on the CW folder. The favorites file should be there

chebytrk
01-14-2013, 07:37 AM
I'm really curious to know if moving the favorites folder away from existing place will solve the "slowing down" issue for Designer. If it does that will definately be the solution ticket! :-)

fwharris
01-14-2013, 10:39 AM
I'm really curious to know if moving the favorites folder away from existing place will solve the "slowing down" issue for Designer. If it does that will definately be the solution ticket! :-)

It will in fact work. I was having the same issue because I had a long list of patterns in my file.
If your favorites file has gotten large by installing every pattern you have it will indeed slow down the performance of the software. One can either move out (delete) existing in the list to reduce the size of the file or move the complete file as stated. When you move the file when designer starts it will generate a new one with just the basic patterns

chebytrk
01-14-2013, 10:45 AM
So how do you access the moved file to see those patterns?

It will in fact work. I was having the same issue because I had a long list of patterns in my file.
If your favorites file has gotten large by installing every pattern you have it will indeed slow down the performance of the software. One can either move out (delete) existing in the list to reduce the size of the file or move the complete file as stated. When you move the file when designer starts it will generate a new one with just the basic patterns

fwharris
01-14-2013, 11:01 AM
You should already have those patterns saved on your computer. To make things easier for seeing the pattern image, when you load the pattern into designer take a screen shot of the image in the preview box and save it in the same folder that you have the pattern file in with the same name as the pattern.

ONLY WINGE
01-14-2013, 12:55 PM
I have moved the favorites file to my desk top and it did seam to work , but how do I get to my patterns in the file to use them? When I try to open the file a window comes up as if you just perchased it and needs all the number info to load it. Jim

henry1
01-14-2013, 01:00 PM
You should already have those patterns saved on your computer. To make things easier for seeing the pattern image, when you load the pattern into designer take a screen shot of the image in the preview box and save it in the same folder that you have the pattern file in with the same name as the pattern.
you got me confuse how do you do this,, designer take a screen shot of the image in the preview box

fwharris
01-14-2013, 02:46 PM
you got me confuse how do you do this,, designer take a screen shot of the image in the preview box

No YOU have to make the screen shot. I use the windows "snipping tool" to capture an image of my screen. You can size the area you want to capture and then you can save this image to you computer where you have the pattern file (or mpc file).

badbert
01-14-2013, 02:51 PM
It would be really nice if there was a way to export multiple patterns, Since some of the patterns were created by me. They were created by import from PS and never exported. Export one at a time takes forever.

fwharris
01-14-2013, 02:55 PM
I have moved the favorites file to my desk top and it did seam to work , but how do I get to my patterns in the file to use them? When I try to open the file a window comes up as if you just perchased it and needs all the number info to load it. Jim

So it looks like the large favorites file was your problem with locking up designer, right? Are you now able to "save as" with out it crashing? What did your pattern list show after doing this?

Are you trying to reload the favorites file? If so the best way is to just move it back the the carvewright folder where it was. Do not double click it. Once you have it re loaded then you should go through the pattern list and try to eliminate the patterns that you do not really want there to help reduce the size.

All of the pattern files that you had loaded into your favorites should also be stored on your hard drive. If you loaded these in with out saving them first you will need to try "exporting" them to your hard drive. Right click on the pattern and select export.

ONLY WINGE
01-14-2013, 08:01 PM
Well it work but another problem,I used the snipping tool and put some patterns in a folder in pictures. When I bring them back to designer via import image fron file it comes back all grainy not realy useable. And I use to be able to right click on a pattern in my designer file and deleat it , now I right click and no window comes up to deleat and I can not get rid of the unneeded patterns.And if I just right click on a pattern no export is shown , nothing is shown. I think I, am my worst problem. Jim

lawrence
01-14-2013, 08:18 PM
Why would you use "import image" from designer with snipped pics? I think they meant to put pics in the files so that you had an ID on what the pattern was for- not for importing back

Lawrence

fwharris
01-14-2013, 08:22 PM
Jim,

You do not want to import the image of the pattern into designer, it is just for reference (see what the pattern looks like). A couple of months back I was having the very same issue of not being able to remove some patterns out of the list. In the pictures I am posting will give you some what you can and can not do with in designer.

If you can use the snipping tool to show what your carvewright folder contains that might help to give you further instructions.

Just an FYI I went through some of your current issues early on so your not alone.

ONLY WINGE
01-14-2013, 08:27 PM
How do I go about deleating patterns out of my designer folders when right clicking on them does not give me the option to deleat ? And how do I remove the patterns from my files to make them smaller and still be able to use them ? I am missing something and not understanding the how to . Jim

lawrence
01-14-2013, 08:35 PM
Think of it this way- the designer program is like a tape player in your car. Putting a tape in the player with 50 songs on it would be slow and cumbersome Put the tapes elsewhere in your car so that you can put them in the player (designer) when needed. The pictures are just like the tape jacket- it shows what the tape holds.

Keep the number of files actually in your designer favorites low, but save the files elsewhere and load them up as needed.

Hope I haven't made things more confusing :)

Lawrence

ONLY WINGE
01-14-2013, 09:25 PM
Not more confusing but, just how do you get the files elsewhere and bring them back to use ? This is where I got lost and why I tried the snipping tool.Am I to just consolindate the folders to make less of them? When I right click on a pattern no window comes up , it did before I started moving files around I tried to back up my steps but I can not figure what I did to stop me from right clicking a pattern to deleate or move . Jim

lynnfrwd
01-14-2013, 10:37 PM
All patterns are downloaded as .ptn files. These are usually defaulted to your My Downloads or Downloads folder in My Documents or just Documents. From the pattern depot they are in a ####.ptn format like 1234.ptn. You should have one file in your CarveWright folder, usually under something like C:my documents/your username/CarveWright/ called favorites.mpn. For some reason multiple favorites.mpn are being created and each "pattern" creates like four different images when you import a pattern into your library. Too many slows down or can crash Designer. You can move all or all but one OUT of that path. Do not put them in a new folder in that path as I discovered today as designer will still find them. Create a new folder somewhere like Desktop and move them into there. You may want to play with each to figure out which you want to keep.
Hope this helps and makes sense.

fwharris
01-14-2013, 11:27 PM
When you install designer the install process created two folders.

Folder #1 is created in the C:\Program Files (x86)\CarveWright location. This is the operating folder where the Designer program (gui.exe) and firmware (control.mwm), basic patterns and other associated file are installed to make the program run. This folder
C:\Program Files (x86)\CarveWright\data also contains a basic, favorites and surfaces mpn files. ??? ***software guru please chime in *****

One should never save or change any files in this location. **** one exception would be the "woods1" folder. This contains the wood images you find when you "edit board settings". You can add different woods and images of to the folder to get more/different board display options.

Folder # 2 is created in the C:\Users\Owner\CarveWright location.

This folder contains the favorites.mpn file and pattern collection files (mpn), usually a # as Connie stated) and possible other patterns that you have purchased from the pattern depot.
Again one should stay away from saving any data into this folder.

In the Designer/pattern list, these patterns can not be exported/deleted/renamed by right clicking them. To make any changes one will need to move the file out of the location listed above.

*** In Jim's case it is possible he has some of the patterns he is trying to move out of designer are in this location and is being prevented from doing so. And possibly a double "favorite" folder in his list.

Wow took me a while, I'm taking a break!! :D

ONLY WINGE
01-15-2013, 05:36 PM
OK got that all figured out thanks to all of you , Now can you tell me what I did, becouse now I can not right click on a pattern in my designer file and deleat it nor can I move them around from one file to another. I could before I started moving files and now I can't. I have tried to retrace my steps but have not been able to correct. Please help I am close to being able to use my carvewright after almost two mos. of a mess. Jim

fwharris
01-15-2013, 05:46 PM
Jim,

See my comments on folder #2. If you can post a screen shot (snipping tool) of what you have listed in that folder and another of what your pattern list looks like in designer...

ONLY WINGE
01-16-2013, 02:21 PM
I give up ,I am going to call LHR and see if I can transfer carvewright to another computer. This time , if I can transfer I will put everything on my desk top in folders and keep nothing in my designer but the basics that come with designer. I can not get any windows to come up and stay, can not use anything on the designer tool bar. Thanks to everyone that tried to help but something is messed up that it seems can not be fixed. Will let you know if and when I get back up and carving. Jim

ONLY WINGE
01-16-2013, 05:58 PM
:p One last note of Thank You to all that helped me with my designer problem. I talk to LHR again, and a gentleman by the name of Joseph fixed it all for me. A very big THANK YOU to you Joseph. After all this time I can start carving. JIM

lawrence
01-16-2013, 06:30 PM
Congrats! We told you you'd get there!

Happy that you were able to sort it out and good luck with your carves (post pics!)

Lawrence

fwharris
01-16-2013, 07:36 PM
:p One last note of Thank You to all that helped me with my designer problem. I talk to LHR again, and a gentleman by the name of Joseph fixed it all for me. A very big THANK YOU to you Joseph. After all this time I can start carving. JIM

Jim,

Great to hear the problems have been resolved. I sure I did not add to the confusion you were having. :!:

Capt Bruce
02-02-2013, 09:37 AM

Good morning Jim (Only Winge),

As a follow-up to your last message I have a request if you'd be so kind. You noted that Joseph of LHR was able to help you sort out the files (and locations) involved and "fixed it all for you." Would you be able to list the steps here that Joseph did with you that cured the problem? This would be a real aid to others who may search here in future for this same problem to find good guidance toward the cure. Thanks in advance.