PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice

Alan Malmstrom
01-12-2013, 11:30 PM
I want to start making patterns on an almost full time basis. I'd like to create a large number of patterns of various styles. I'm a graphic designer and I really enjoy doing patterns and I want to try and make money doing it. I've got a pretty good eye for aesthetic beauty. I think I could put together a nice collection of patterns.

But what would be the best way to approach this. I've thought about starting my own site or working for somebody else. And then there is putting all my stuff in the Pattern Depot. I like the idea of doing the pattern depot because the patterns are protected against distributing or reselling to others. Can I put stuff on the Depot and also sell on my site too?

Any advice is well appreciated.

bjbethke
01-12-2013, 11:51 PM
I want to start making patterns on an almost full time basis. I'd like to create a large number of patterns of various styles. I'm a graphic designer and I really enjoy doing patterns and I want to try and make money doing it. I've got a pretty good eye for aesthetic beauty. I think I could put together a nice collection of patterns.

But what would be the best way to approach this. I've thought about starting my own site or working for somebody else. And then there is putting all my stuff in the Pattern Depot. I like the idea of doing the pattern depot because the patterns are protected against distributing or reselling to others. Can I put stuff on the Depot and also sell on my site too?

Any advice is well appreciated.

I do that now. PM me with an e-mail - I work on donations, (I give the patterns
Before I get any cash - I believe in Jesus) I give donations to the forum - some times
I get money in return; I have had a few people pay $50.00 for a pattern I include the PTN, MPW, MPN, and the + and - Grayscale image and a Screen Print of the MPC, some times I get nothing. I save all my patterns on CD/DVD's I have more than 5000 patterns since I started this in 2007, some of the first ones are not very good, most of them I have removed from the forum. More of them may need removing; I try to get better every day. BJB

DickB
01-13-2013, 07:33 AM
I think one aspect often overlooked is marketing. How are you going to get customers to find you and your work? That may be another advantage of the Pattern Depot. If you set up your own web site, how are CarveWright owners going to find it? BTW we're told only a small fraction of owners use the forums.

myshop1044
01-13-2013, 10:24 AM
Alan I would love to see your PTNs in the pattern store, then we could see all the others you have to offer.
You and I have done personal business before and I like your quality and detailon the patterns.
BJB you should do the same, I mean about the pattern store.

Perry B.

dltccf
01-13-2013, 11:48 AM
Both of you have made some fantastic patterns. I have enjoyed looking at the patterns you have created and I believe I have also carved something created by each of you. I like the idea bjbethke has of creating collections. I was going to get some from you a while back, but then got distracted on other things. I need to go back and find the email we exchanged and follow up by ordering some patterns from you.

I think that the pattern store could greatly benefit by organizing more patterns into collections and selling them that way.

dave