PDA

View Full Version : only solid blocks appear in upper display line, blank below

eastcutty
01-12-2013, 02:04 PM
Hey, gang. I finally broke down and got a new board sensor after all the problems my other one gave me- a long story best left in the past.
Actually, LHR was back-ordered on these, so a re-man was sent. SUPER job on sealing it all around- do they come like that now, or did Laurie make sure they took good care of me? Also got and installed 14pin cable and related end boards.
I didn't get a chance to test it out, tho. Just before I shut it down for the last time before ordering parts, I got a few "power fluctuation" error messages, which would initially indicate failing power supply. Read the forums, checked Al's fave L2 coil (LOL) and couldn't find anything wrong. Checked all wiring and connectors, did everything I could find to try in forums. Didn't see another problem/question quite like this. Note that I do run off an extension cord- have to.
Here's the thing: I do have power, at least to some degree. I can't get anything to operate, but the display is on- if only partially. The only thing I can get is a solid line of blocks on only the upper display line, and that's it.
So...........my question is: even tho I got power fluc messages, does a partial display indicate power is sufficient to run, and the problem lies somewhere else? Since the machine won't take commands and shows only a partial display, could the keypad assy/control board be the fault? Between the 'power fluc' and 'block line' periods of time, I swear I heard a faint sound coming from the lower center-to-right-side of the keypad end as I was leaning up over the unit- sorta like a short zap, but then again, not. That location could describe either board. It was a threshold moment between the two time periods (best descriptive terminology I can offer). Also, for the time being, I still have the top panel off with cut motor, cover switch cable, etc, disconnected but that shouldn't really interfere with just trying to test the display and/for ON/OFF functions, right?
Almost forgot! "Flash Machine Control Logic" (or similar) appeared in Flash Manager when I re-formatted the card, as suggested, in an attempt to isolate the problem. Anybody know what THAT means?
Hey, at least I tried everything I could think of first, and I offer challenging problems! (at least, to me, LOL)
Thanks in advance for any tips.

r1dd1ck913
01-18-2013, 11:15 AM
Well this is my first posting on this forum. I have a beta machine. And well I am having the same problem with the screen that you are having. I called CW and they said they no longer carry any parts for a beta machine. So does anyone have an idea of what we can do?

chief2007
01-18-2013, 11:29 AM
First question - What parts are you looking for?

Second have you tried adjust the contrast button on the keypad

r1dd1ck913
01-18-2013, 11:32 AM
For me yes I have tried the contrast button. As for parts I do not what parts I need yet. I guess I need what ever part fixes the problem I am having.

Digitalwoodshop
01-18-2013, 12:04 PM
Look at the answer I just posted on the "I need Help..." thread you also started. A possible 18 pin Z Motor Board on the end of a 14 pin FSC Cable.

AL

chief2007
01-18-2013, 12:29 PM
For me yes I have tried the contrast button. As for parts I do not what parts I need yet. I guess I need what ever part fixes the problem I am having.

I have an old 18 pin FFC cable and circuit boards - All still good - I completed the upgrade and just held on to them. So let me know if you need them

r1dd1ck913
01-18-2013, 12:36 PM
Cool Thanks. I'm going to go and buy a new CW card and try it first but it that does not work I will probably be needing a control board.

chief2007
01-18-2013, 01:02 PM
Cool Thanks. I'm going to go and buy a new CW card and try it first but it that does not work I will probably be needing a control board.

Can you flash the card and load projects to it? If so the card should be ok.

lynnfrwd
01-18-2013, 01:15 PM
The controllers on a beta machine are not the same as the ones we sell now. I checked.

r1dd1ck913
01-18-2013, 02:05 PM
Thanks for letting me know that. I kind of figured that much since the picture on the web site looked totaly different.

TerryT
01-18-2013, 08:40 PM
I'm guessing you already know this but.........The blocks are what you get if you turn the machine on without the card. No machine instructions. Check the card, as stated earlier if you can load, reformat, etc. The card is probably fine. Check the plug on the CW to make sure there are no bent pins or debris keeping it from going all the way in. Make sure the plug in going into the onboard computer is good and check all cables, etc. Just incase you haven't already done this.