PDA

View Full Version : Rotary board layout problem?

James RS
01-12-2013, 12:14 PM
Ok I have a question, I know what the board layout is supposed to be.
But I've done 5 carvings and I end up with this gab where it starts and finishes.
I am post a picture, it starts on the left and finishes on the right. Now I'm far from being great with math
I saw somewhere to calculate the dowel it would be 2 x 3.14 pi ?
If so that doesn't come out to the current board width as indicated, I got 6.283 etc

Thanks
Jim

fwharris
01-12-2013, 01:13 PM
Your board setting should be 6.727" length and 14" wide and make sure your pattern is stretched so that it covers the full width.

James RS
01-12-2013, 01:29 PM
Your board setting should be 6.727" length and 14" wide and make sure your pattern is stretched so that it covers the full width.

I have the board laid out exactly to those dimensions
I set the pattern to 6.727 in the size area. I'm trying another carve now
I took the pattern a bit past the edges of the board
This time it didn't start off with the line as it did before.
Weird thing though is I was trying to replicate rope so I used
A pattern that was post of Threads. The picture shows it carved at .50
Which gave me approx 1" diameter, which I wanted
But the pattern didn't show as I had it set at a height of 10.
Now I set the same pattern at 200 carving at .75 and its
Not even close, Ill post a picture in awhile

James RS
01-12-2013, 01:32 PM

Here's a photo, still carving

Edit: While Im waiting for the carve to finish
I got thinking I believe I read on here somewhere
If I were to setup a carve region first then apply my pattern
Would that help make a deeper carving?

Ok here's a shot of the second carve, it didn't carve a line as it did previously, but it did overlap.
I think this is due to pattern position, I had adjusted the height and depth on this carve to enhance the detail.
But it raised the depth from the previous carve. I did go back into Designer and put a rectangle over the rope looking area.
I made this a carve region with a depth of .5 which in Designer will do what I want it to do, I'll find out tomorrow

bergerud
01-12-2013, 03:30 PM

Where do you get the 6.727 from? 2 times Pi is 6.28318... On my rotary jig, the length of my patterns were tweaked around 2Pi.

James RS
01-12-2013, 03:31 PM
Ok that's what I got also, but in the instructions it's 6.727 and bergerud I'm also a little confused on your Torus flat mpc.
It's 4x8x1

Where do you get the 6.727 from? 2 times Pi is 6.28318... On my rotary jig, the length of my patterns were tweaked around 2Pi.

bergerud
01-12-2013, 06:12 PM
If you look at the length of the two torus pattern, it is 6.28 long. The size of the board does not matter! So it rolls the dowel a little before it starts.

fwharris
01-12-2013, 06:18 PM
James,

I have always used the instructions as written by Ed:

When setting up a up a project layout to carve on a 2-inch Round stock in the
CarveWright Designer, I make a new design board 6.727 inches long by 14

Then, using the Square tool, I draw a 12 x 12 square over my design board,
right-click this square and select Center, Center Both from the pop-up menu. The
area enclosed on the board itself, is the actual area that can be carved within.
When carving on round stock, you must leave a “One Inch Clear Area” on the top
and bottom of your layout view (i.e., the ends of the dowel) un-carved. This one
inch clear area keeps the round stock centered under the carving bit, and is used
to rotate the round stock. (fig. 2) Staying inside the square guidelines will
automatically provide the required One Inch on each end of the 14 inch long round
stock when it is carved. I usually make that square a Carve Region, and set my
preferred depth.

The only variation I have done is the carve region size as this is set up for the full length carve of the dowel and I have done some that were smaller in size. Some where in the discussion here on the forum is the explanation of why he uses 6.727.

bergerud
01-12-2013, 06:27 PM
It makes sense to have the design board longer than the circumference of the dowel, but if you make a pattern and expect it to line up with itself after carving around the dowel, then the pattern length better equal the circumference.

James RS
01-12-2013, 06:48 PM
I have mine setup like this, I was just wondering if this could be what caused the gap in my carving.
It was unwrapped for a 2 inch diameter in Aspire

James,

I have always used the instructions as written by Ed:

When setting up a up a project layout to carve on a 2-inch Round stock in the
CarveWright Designer, I make a new design board 6.727 inches long by 14

Then, using the Square tool, I draw a 12 x 12 square over my design board,
right-click this square and select Center, Center Both from the pop-up menu. The
area enclosed on the board itself, is the actual area that can be carved within.
When carving on round stock, you must leave a “One Inch Clear Area” on the top
and bottom of your layout view (i.e., the ends of the dowel) un-carved. This one
inch clear area keeps the round stock centered under the carving bit, and is used
to rotate the round stock. (fig. 2) Staying inside the square guidelines will
automatically provide the required One Inch on each end of the 14 inch long round
stock when it is carved. I usually make that square a Carve Region, and set my
preferred depth.

The only variation I have done is the carve region size as this is set up for the full length carve of the dowel and I have done some that were smaller in size. Some where in the discussion here on the forum is the explanation of why he uses 6.727.

bergerud
01-12-2013, 07:13 PM
Post the mpc. It looks like your dowel made it all the way around. Is the slot something at the beginning and/or end of the pattern? Since your pattern does not have any angle dependent features, you could just overlap at the end couldn't you?

James RS
01-13-2013, 05:06 AM
Here's the file I used on the smaller carving #2 in the photo. On the second carve #3 I zoomed in close and
could just see a lip, so I moved the pattern outward on each side slightly. I'm made another #4 where I added a
rectangle and added a carve region to it and in designer it looks like it made more like carve #2. But with more detail

James RS
01-13-2013, 05:10 AM
Here's the file I want to try today with a added carve region to bring the carving down closer to the one marked #2

I just got a file from Eddie ( Thank You Eddie and John) I noticed this.
There seems to be an edge and the file is sized to the board size.
No clue on why58871

bergerud
01-13-2013, 09:45 AM
Is the problem (in ropeballtest 2 ) not simply that the ball sweep ends with sharp drops at the ends. Change the board size to 8 inches long to see. Do you make it longer so the drops are off the board. Does that do it or do you need the pattern to not have those dropped edges .

eelamb
01-13-2013, 11:45 AM
James, I imported the stl file and did not have the area you mentioned. Also if you have a cut path or anything to remove the wood around the pattern you will see that.
try placing the pattern on a larger board without any cut outs and look at it that way. Or you are not importing it properly.

James RS
01-13-2013, 12:22 PM
Eddie, I just did what you said and put it on a larger board.
Just the pattern imported via STL importer, it came in with a 1/4" feather
and set to pierce. Which I removed, then I saw the edge, I turned off the feather and it was gone

eelamb
01-13-2013, 12:33 PM
James check your email.

edzbaker
01-13-2013, 12:34 PM
This might help some. All "2 inch" dowels are not exactly 2 inches in diameter. (Judging by the ones I have purchased, and even the ones I have made with my dowel machine) So, If a dowel is 2.05 in diameter, (that is only 5/100 ") compaired to an exact 2 inch dowel, it's circumference is larger by more than 1/8". So, if you are wanting to wrap designs on a dowel, exact measurements should be taken of each dowel you use.
On another note; When I lay out patterns on the board in designer, I capture a picture of it, then take it to Gimp, and map it to a cylinder, so I can see if the Ends will line up when carved. See the attached picture for example.
I hope this helps....

James RS
01-13-2013, 03:04 PM
James check your email.
I did many Thanks to you and John, I'm carving now.

James RS
01-13-2013, 03:06 PM
Ok I understand, but you've peaked my curiosity with the Gimp part :cool:

James RS
01-13-2013, 03:09 PM
Is the problem (in ropeballtest 2 ) not simply that the ball sweep ends with sharp drops at the ends. Change the board size to 8 inches long to see. Do you make it longer so the drops are off the board. Does that do it or do you need the pattern to not have those dropped edges .

Sorry I didn't get back sooner, Eddie worked on a model that John made me and I'm carving it now, with the additional info
provided by Ed Baker I think I got it. Many Thank Yous to all !

edzbaker
01-13-2013, 05:00 PM
I did many Thanks to you and John, I'm carving now.

James, GIMP is free from gimp.org Anyway, after geting a picture (Snip or snag) from designer, of your project. Open it in Gimp, go to filter, then scroll down to Map, then Map Object. Then choose map to cylinder. There are some settings that allow you to set the diameter, etc. I usually set the radius to 12 or so.. click preview and then if is is what you want, click OK. You can rotate the mapped object to see the front, sides, or anywhere you want. If you want a better explanation, just let me know.

James RS
01-14-2013, 03:24 AM
Thanks Ed, I actually have Gimp installed, I played around with it and found the settings.

James, GIMP is free from gimp.org Anyway, after geting a picture (Snip or snag) from designer, of your project. Open it in Gimp, go to filter, then scroll down to Map, then Map Object. Then choose map to cylinder. There are some settings that allow you to set the diameter, etc. I usually set the radius to 12 or so.. click preview and then if is is what you want, click OK. You can rotate the mapped object to see the front, sides, or anywhere you want. If you want a better explanation, just let me know.