PDA

View Full Version : could not have happen w/o CW

myshop1044
01-12-2013, 10:03 AM
I wanted to raise the level of my tube sander to use the top part of the
sanding tube for years. Well I did it in just an hour or so with help of the
accuracy of the CW. I use the cutpath and drill function to get it done.
The plastic insert was 3/4" deep and plywood was less than 3/4", so I added
a second layer of plywood, I needed it anyway, I drilled a 5.5" od., 1/32 dp,
then a 4.5" cutpath thru the rest of the bottom board. The top just had a 5.5" cutpath thru.
I was able to do center/center on both boards, when the outside of the boards were
line up the holes matched perfect. I had a flush fit too.
Check it out.
I love this machine.

Perry B.

Dodadd1
01-12-2013, 10:37 AM
Cool! I never though of that. Well that's another to do project.
Thanks

gwizpro
01-12-2013, 01:10 PM
Maybe I am missing something here. Wouldn't it have been easier to just flip the sanding tube over to use the other end???
Confused..

mtylerfl
01-12-2013, 01:54 PM
Maybe I am missing something here. Wouldn't it have been easier to just flip the sanding tube over to use the other end???
Confused..

If you are sanding items less thick than the length of the cylinder, then there will be an un-touched area both at the top and bottom of the cylinder. I flip mine over from time-to-time, but that doesn't use any more area of the total length (I flip it to extend the life of the "work" area.)

Raising the deck as shown, is a pretty neat way to utilize the full length of the spindle cylinder!

myshop1044
01-12-2013, 02:16 PM
You are correct MT, I still have another area under the first table that I can use after
I use the top part. This will allow me to use the entire length of the tube.
But anyway I wanted to prove the Cw was up to the task.

gwizpro
01-12-2013, 02:51 PM
Would the lift also work with oscillating (oscillates up and down) tube sanders. I am assuming the deck is for stationary tube sanders.
Educate me guys.....

myshop1044
01-12-2013, 03:21 PM
guess I failed to mention that it is an oscillating sander with a 1" stroke.
my bad.

Perry B.

gwizpro
01-12-2013, 03:56 PM
Thanks
Good Idea, will have to try myself...

Digitalwoodshop
01-13-2013, 08:05 PM
That is a Great Idea....

I made this sliding index with the CW too for Wine Rack Rails....

AL

dltccf
01-14-2013, 07:34 AM
I think the same idea would apply to building a new top for a router table and getting the holes and depths just right.

dave

chebytrk
01-14-2013, 07:42 AM
Hey Al... Is that a Belt sander (in one of your pics) that you've locked in to place?

That is a Great Idea....

I made this sliding index with the CW too for Wine Rack Rails....

AL

jakab
01-14-2013, 06:26 PM
I think the same idea would apply to building a new top for a router table and getting the holes and depths just right.

dave

Here is a router table I made. I did the cutout for the insert including the rabbet to hold the insert and the slot for the T-Track using the CarveWright.

I have made other router table tops before and I always screw them up somehow. This one was just perfect!

Digitalwoodshop
01-14-2013, 07:17 PM
Yes, I made a jig with a extra sander to put a taper on the rail ends quickly and to sand the taper on the Dowels.

You can see by the dates, it was in the early years.... Quilt Racks morphed into CD Rack, Book Rack then the Wine Idea.... And the Handy Weekend Shack Pack was developed... The Long one was called the 3 day weekend... CD's, DVD's, Books, and lots of WINE.... :razz:

AL

dltccf
01-15-2013, 06:15 PM
Here is a router table I made. I did the cutout for the insert including the rabbet to hold the insert and the slot for the T-Track using the CarveWright.

I have made other router table tops before and I always screw them up somehow. This one was just perfect!

That is very nice. Tell me more about it. It looks bigger than what would fit in the CW. Do you still have the pattern?

jakab
01-16-2013, 09:16 AM
That is very nice. Tell me more about it. It looks bigger than what would fit in the CW. Do you still have the pattern?

It's 27 x 20. I was done in 2 pieces and glued back together using dowels for strength, then covered on both sides with Formica. The formica was trimmed using a flush cut bit on a handheld router. The one important lesson I learned from this project was how to use insets to get the hole the right size.

Here are the patterns, you would have to resize to fit your particular insert. I would also make the T-Slot go all the way across the table next time.

henry1
01-16-2013, 10:02 AM
That is nice work I guest you must sell alot of those lol and good for you

Digitalwoodshop
01-16-2013, 02:39 PM
I have not done a Craft Show in 2 years... No money in it here... The Bottom dropped out... It WAS fun the first 3 years.

I use the CW to make some signs and cut Fire Tags and Wood Handles for the Fire Accountability Boards.

The CW is a BIG part of how I make money....

AL