PDA

View Full Version : Desk Name Plate Question

JuicyCarp
01-10-2013, 07:13 PM
So I have put together my pattern for a name plate for a co-workers desk. Its not nearly as fancy as I had it pictured in my mind initially, but I realized fairly quickly that these dont really give you a ton of space to work with! So I kept it simple. My question is how do I add a bevel to the center carved region on the base, so that the plate saits at a bit of an angle? Of course any additional advice is more than welcome.

Kevin

SteveNelson46
01-10-2013, 07:48 PM
I made several changes:

Set the depth of the letters and patterns to the same depth as the carve region and then adjusted the heigth.
Applied a medium draft to the letters and patterns. I think this is the bevel you wanted.
Centered all on the board<br>
Widened the base to accomodate a fancy border ( applied the 3/8" classical bit to the rectangle).

I usually bevel the bottom of the plate with a stationary disk sander and then adjust the slot width. May take a couple of test cuts though.

fwharris
01-10-2013, 08:01 PM
For the beveled/sloped carve region use the "select surface" tool and look at the top dome.

RogerB
01-10-2013, 08:02 PM
Steve looks good .I might have to carve one when i get a desk Job.Lol

JuicyCarp
01-10-2013, 08:05 PM
Wow, Steve I REALLY appreciate the help, somehow I overlook the same thing over and over again! I love the edge route and really thank you for adding that on. The bevel I was referring to is to the middle region of the base, in that little carved rectangle region. I want to cut that region so that it slopes at an angle, so when the plate sets in the carved region it sits at an angle.

Like this:

http://www.lulusoso.com/upload/20120520/Metal_desk_name_plate.jpg

SteveNelson46
01-10-2013, 08:14 PM
I usually bevel the bottom of the plate with a stationary disk sander and then adjust the slot width. May take a couple of test cuts though. My previous post has an example.

EDIT:
For the profile around the base is usually better to use a router table. It's faster and easier.

henry1
01-10-2013, 08:41 PM
Now that is nice going to carve one thx