PDA

View Full Version : Flex shaft sheath deattached from cut motor

SharonB
01-10-2013, 02:42 PM
Finally got time to take the "C" machine apart. When I removed flex shaft from top hat the core disappeared into the sheath. Removed cover and the sheath has pulled completely out of the cut-motor. If I remember right you just glue it back together.... is this right? And what glue do you use for this operation.

Hope this was the reason I was getting error and stall messages instead of the other motors having bad bearings.

mtylerfl
01-10-2013, 03:02 PM
Finally got time to take the "C" machine apart. When I removed flex shaft from top hat the core disappeared into the sheath. Removed cover and the sheath has pulled completely out of the cut-motor. If I remember right you just glue it back together.... is this right? And what glue do you use for this operation.

Hope this was the reason I was getting error and stall messages instead of the other motors having bad bearings.

Hi Sharon. Do you have any photos to post that shows what happened? I'm not sure what you mean about the "core disappearing into the sheath" and a pic or two might help others understand, as well.

SharonB
01-10-2013, 03:13 PM
Michael... usually when I removed the sheath from the top hat I tape the core into the sheath....this time the core slide all the way into the sheath and just disappeared. When I removed the top cover I could see the end of the core and spring just hanging out the end of the sheath. That whole end was laying just below the motor. It looks like the sheath was glued into the end of the motor. I'm trying to picture that end of the motor... and maybe a set screw might also help hold the sheath in.

henry1
01-10-2013, 03:28 PM
Your shaft moved out it happen to me you have to push back in and clue it again

ladjr
01-10-2013, 03:30 PM
Sharon

Did you check the point where the shealth goes into the cut motor. I have had two cut motors crack at that point.

SharonB
01-10-2013, 03:36 PM
5879958800Here is a couple of pictures. Nothing looks damaged. The cut motor casing is not cracked... looks like the sheath just came unglued. But what glue to put it back together.

fwharris
01-10-2013, 03:44 PM
Sharon,

I've had the other end at the top hat come unglued. I used a 2 part epoxy to put it back together. seems to me doing fine.

SharonB
01-10-2013, 03:48 PM
Thanks Floyd. I have some 2-part epoxy. I'll try that and see what happens. Guess it can only come loose again.

DickB
01-10-2013, 03:54 PM
Roughen up the surface of the sheath with some coarse sandpaper, and inside the ferrule if you can.