PDA

View Full Version : New CorelDraw Logo Tutorial

Jon Jantz
02-03-2007, 07:43 PM
Since many of you have emailed and PM'd me about the Corel Logo Digitising Tutorial I did up a while back, I'm posting a little note here....

I totally re-did it... made it slower and tried to be more descriptive in what I was doing. The ones that have looked at it so far have told me that they liked it better...

This is what the tutorial shows:
* How to take a logo into CorelDraw and manually trace it.
* Turn it to a grayscale and add curvature and bevel to the different objects to make them carve better, look better and prevent chip-out.
* Take it into Photopaint to prepare it for Designer, how to save it with a transparent background to keep from having the feather box.
* How to Import the final design into Designer
* How to Outline the pattern and add a Cut Path to cut out shape.

To cover the cost of the recording software I just bought along with a few other costs... I'm asking a small fee for this one. Don't worry though, there are more free tutorials in the works as well, and for the price I'm asking, I believe you'll get your money's worth of information out of it...

I would also like your feedback on what you think of the video and what you would like to see more of.

You can download it from
http://www.allcw.com

Thanks, all!!
Jon Jantz

Digitalwoodshop
02-03-2007, 11:37 PM
Jon,

Purchased and downloaded 07/03, EXCELLENT !!!!! Easy with Pay Pal.

Just watched it all the way through and I learned SO much is such a short time. I had seen the welding and gradients in classes I had taken on Corel at Atlantic City at a ARA.org convention a few years back.

Just picking the medium colors and showing the results then going to white and doing it again plus the accelerated feature made so much sense. WOW !!!!!

Great Audio, Great pace, Not too slow, Not too fast. Excellent detail how and why you do each step. I am still a little shake on the trace, clicking in the node ?? to prevent extra lines. Need to review that again. Found myself making a mess out of a trace a while back when I was doing another project in Sublimation. The control key will help next time, forgot about that.

Thanks again and keep up the good work !!!

AL

IM2HAPPI
02-04-2007, 04:27 AM
I tried to register there this am and couldnt. Now Im trying to just get back in to read forum and getting timeout error. Have went to other sites and not happening so is it me or your site ?

Jon Jantz
02-04-2007, 08:42 AM
IM2HAPPI, I think it's my hosting service. I've been with the same company for several years with no problems, but my site was down and acting flaky quite a bit yesterday....

I hope it doesn't continue or I'll call them and ask them to move me to a different server....

Let me know if you have any more problems...

Thanks, Jon

Malfunction
02-04-2007, 10:30 AM
i bought it as well. great tutorial. now to find the time to use my newfound knowledge :D .

Jon Jantz
02-05-2007, 01:41 PM
Thanks all...

Have any of you had trouble playing it? If so, please let me know what the problem was and what you did to fix it...

I know most people just have to download the latest codec that it uses and it fixes the problem, but in one case it's still not playing on Windows Media Player.

I'm probably going to re-produce it as a Flash vid, just so I have a backup plan if someone can't get it to play...

Thanks! Jon

Jeff_Birt
02-05-2007, 01:54 PM
It played fine on WinAmp and was very infomative.

autobody
02-10-2007, 06:31 PM
Thought I'd download your tutorial, however having a bit of trouble reading your site, see screen capture. Do I have some settings wrong somewhere? I don't get this on any other sites.

Thanks ~Mike

Digitalwoodshop
02-10-2007, 07:11 PM
Just checked and I can still read it OK. I did run into that effect on a 3M web sight I was looking at today, was only like that on one page.

AL

Jon Jantz
02-10-2007, 09:14 PM
Autobody..

I don't know, it's displayed correctly on all the machines I've looked at it on... that's a couple at home and several at work, as well as at several different friend's places...

I'd like to know what the deal is and if it's something I can prevent when making the site... so a couple of questions.

Do you have your text size set to Larger than normal or anything like that? Does it make a difference if you view the page full screen?

I can how that'd get old in a hurry...

Later,
Jon

autobody
02-11-2007, 03:26 AM
I do have my font size set at 120% other wise I can't see my text with my default screen resolution at 1280 x 1024 on a 15" LCD monitor.

I just built/got this new computer going in the last week or so, it's XP Pro ( needed it for the carvewright software) but I sure miss my win98se, it was much less flaky.

I've tried changing the font size in IE6 from medium to largest and smallest didn't seem to make any difference on your site though. I will try setting my font size (temporarily ) in XP and see if that makes any difference.

Thanks ~Mike

autobody
02-11-2007, 03:34 AM
Okay I dropped my fonts in XP back to 96dpi and your site looks fine. I'm going to get a headache reading my screen with it this way so I will download your file and change my font setting back.

Thanks ~Mike

BobHill
02-11-2007, 08:28 AM
Mike,

Have you considered setting your screen display to something like 800x600 instead of changing your text option in Windows? In this day of relatively low priced super sized monitors, and the old 15" monitor setting of 800x600 makes everything pretty large on your larger screen (probably at least a 17" or 19" today). There are some programs that might not run well at that setting, but check to see if you don't have a graphics card control on your system panel (right lower corner) where you can quickly change to a different settings like 1024x768 or 1280x768, or even 1280x1024 ... etc. Text fits the screen then.

Bob

forqnc
02-11-2007, 10:10 AM
Thanks all...

Have any of you had trouble playing it? If so, please let me know what the problem was and what you did to fix it...

I know most people just have to download the latest codec that it uses and it fixes the problem, but in one case it's still not playing on Windows Media Player.

Thanks! Jon

Yeah I downloaded the "New Corel Draw tutorial" Windows media player says 'error downloading codec'. I went to see if I needed to upgrade and it said I had the lastest version. All I get is your voice, no video. I believe this is a problem on my part because the video on carvewrights site does the same thing, I'll let you know if I fix it.

BoardSilly
02-11-2007, 12:27 PM
Download a copy of IrfanView, its free and supports just about every known video format there is.

forqnc
02-12-2007, 12:53 PM
Download a copy of IrfanView, its free and supports just about every known video format there is.

Thanks, I have infraview, just never knew it played video as well. I'll try again tonight when I get home.

meat
02-15-2007, 11:11 AM
Well, I can't get the video to play in Quicktime. I've tried the perian codec, a couple of other codecs, and I've even tried playing it through Final Cut Pro. Apple sez 'no habla.'

I don't suppose you'd want to put out a .MOV version for all of us Mac people, would you?

Your pal,
Meat.

BobHill
02-15-2007, 11:20 AM
Meat,

I don't have a MAC, but I do have Windows version of QuickTime Player version 7.1.3 and all Jon's AVI files work fine, with sound, on it on a PC. What version are you using, perhaps that's the problem.

Bob

meat
02-15-2007, 11:24 AM

I did this, too (I've got Parallels on the Mac). Still no worky.

Your pal,
Meat.

meat
02-15-2007, 11:28 AM
Meat,

I don't have a MAC, but I do have Windows version of QuickTime Player version 7.1.3 and all Jon's AVI files work fine, with sound, on it on a PC. What version are you using, perhaps that's the problem.

Bob
Using 7.1.3.

I make movies, so I've got the latest versions of QT and all the Final Cut Pro codecs. I just can't see this type of file. I only get sound.

Your pal,
Meat.

BobHill
02-15-2007, 11:39 AM
I didn't think there was a difference between QuickTime for the PC and MAC, Meat. That would be strange. But in any case, Apple's QuickTime sure will work the files perfectly on my PC.

Bob

larryblalock
02-15-2007, 12:58 PM
I have downloaded the tutorial after paying for it on your site and am unable to view the video portion...I have a current Windows Media Player that has been updated several times and I still cannot view the video...I only receive the audio version...can you help?

BobHill
02-15-2007, 01:42 PM
I'm not Jon, but once again, Windows Media Player 11.0.5xxx plays all the .avi files of Jon's without a hitch, video and sound. Have you checked options, perhaps, to see if video is set to work? If it works on one, as with QuickTime, it should work on at least all that version. So if you have version 11 or later, at least, it SHOULD work and if it doesn't, I'd look to your settings.

Bob Hill

Charles M
02-15-2007, 02:05 PM
I have downloaded the tutorial after paying for it on your site and am unable to view the video portion...I have a current Windows Media Player that has been updated several times and I still cannot view the video...I only receive the audio version...can you help?

Jon pointed to this download which worked for me:
http://download.techsmith.com/tscc/tscc.exe

Jon Jantz
02-15-2007, 03:21 PM
Thanks guys for helping out...

Larry, they are right, you can download that codec and it should fix it.

Please let me know if it does not..

Thanks!! Jon

poteetjr
02-15-2007, 03:21 PM
Jon
You have helped me before, would you be interested in making a tutorial on your website for making patches. I have tried my self with no luck...

Patch attached:

Jon Jantz
02-15-2007, 04:49 PM
Poteetjr,

I'm working on a tutorial right that involves taking a police shield and making a design that will carve nicely. It would be very similar to what you'd need to do to get that patch carveable...

I'll let you know when I get it done, hopefully in the next day or so.

Do you need this patch redone to make it carve nicer? Might could be a practice piece for a few that have watched the other videos... if I have a few minutes, I'll see if I can do it up...

Later,
Jon

BoardSilly
02-15-2007, 05:14 PM
Here is a ptn of your patch.. hope it helps you for now

###Files pulled to avoid copyright issues

Jon Jantz
02-15-2007, 05:42 PM
Oooopss.. BoardSilly beat me to it..

Just did up your patch too... it was a quicky, but hope it helps..

Later,
Jon

Jeff_Birt
02-15-2007, 08:36 PM
I just got done watching Jon's new address sign tutorial for about the 4th time ( I pick up new things each time). As with his other videos on using Corel Draw to make things for Designer this one is top notch. If you have not seen then go on over to his sight http://www.allcw.com/ and check them out. I have been making some notes showing at what times intersting things are shown in the video so I can go back and review it easily when I'm trying to do my own projects and thought others might find it useful as well. So here it goes...

Index to Jon Jantz Adress Sign Tutorial
1:02 Ctrl-Click to constrain line horz or vert
1:35 Copy and Translate
2:05 Connect lines and close object
3:15 Contour
4:05 Trim
4:50 Center objects to each other
7:30 Contour to make rounded trim
10:35 Envelope
11:10 Bevel recessed text
12:00 Weld text together
12:50 Bevel raised text
15:10 Pulling drawing into Photo Paint
17:40 Importing into Designer

meat
02-15-2007, 09:39 PM
I just got done watching Jon's new address sign tutorial for about the 4th time ( I pick up new things each time). As with his other videos on using Corel Draw to make things for Designer this one is top notch. If you have not seen then go on over to his sight http://www.allcw.com/ and check them out. I have been making some notes showing at what times intersting things are shown in the video so I can go back and review it easily when I'm trying to do my own projects and thought others might find it useful as well. So here it goes...

Index to Jon Jantz Adress Sign Tutorial
1:02 Ctrl-Click to constrain line horz or vert
1:35 Copy and Translate
2:05 Connect lines and close object
3:15 Contour
4:05 Trim
4:50 Center objects to each other
7:30 Contour to make rounded trim
10:35 Envelope
11:10 Bevel recessed text
12:00 Weld text together
12:50 Bevel raised text
15:10 Pulling drawing into Photo Paint
17:40 Importing into Designer

I'd love to. I'm hoping there's a .MOV file in my future. Nothing else works on my mac. :(

Your pal,
Meat.

Digitalwoodshop
02-15-2007, 10:50 PM
OK... I fought with this latest file for an hour.... Having a senior moment here..... how do I un zip it? I can't get it???

Thanks,

AL

Jeff_Birt
02-15-2007, 10:57 PM
Assuming WindowsXP: Right click on the file and select 'Extract All' -> 'Next' -> 'Next' -> 'Finish'

Digitalwoodshop
02-16-2007, 10:11 AM
Jeff,

That was part of the problem, a P3 running Windows 2000. Well on my P4 laptop running XP it did give me an extract the zip option, that is what I was looking for last night.

Got it extracted but in Windows Media Player I get the voice and the swirling video graphics, trying to turn it off to see the video.... Another Senior Moment....

AL

Edit.... Never mind.... I down loaded TSSC and away I go.... AL 1 Senior Moment 2

poteetjr
02-16-2007, 12:52 PM
Nice work Jon, I would still like to purchase you training video so I know how to do other Air Force patches. Please let me know when you finish it.

Thank you again Jon and boardsilly!

HandTurnedMaple
02-16-2007, 01:36 PM
Using the Shape Tool to go back in and edit files, I have a lot of trouble finding the nodes. I basically just click and click and click all over the area until one pops up. Is there a quicker easier way?

BobHill
02-16-2007, 01:56 PM
HTM,

Use the Zoom tool to get close enough to click on a node when needed or a line. Also Toggle the Labels icon to clear away a lot of information that you don't particularly need at the moment. This will give you a vetter view of intricate designs where the nodes may be very close together.

Bob Hill
Tampa Florida

HandTurnedMaple
02-16-2007, 02:36 PM
Well the zooming helps, thanx. I think the software should have a better tolerance for selecting them. But I'm sure in this case what I'm thinking won't have much of an impact on what happens. Especially since I'm not even in a Corel message board. :?

HandTurnedMaple
02-16-2007, 04:12 PM
One more question (at least). With the Interactive Contour Tool there are two color pull-downs in the toolbar. One has a fountain pen icon, the other has a paint bucket. What's the difference between them? I just set them both to the same color to get the contour, but if I knew the difference I could use them more effectively.

Jon Jantz
02-16-2007, 04:20 PM
HTM, if the object you are applying the contour to has an 'outline' then it will coutour the object using the outline color. It will start off with the outline being black, since that is the default outline color and contour it to the color you select in the 'Pen' color flyout (in the Contour property bar)...

The best thing to do is make sure your object does not have an outline. You can eliminate the outline of an object by selecting it, then right-clicking on the X at the top of the color palette on the right. Conversely, you can SET the color of your objects outline by right-clicking on a color... and adjust the size by going to the Outline flyout, which is the tool that looks like a pen in the toolbox on the left...

Like I said, eliminate the outline of your object and your contour will fade from the object color to the color you select with the 'Paint Bucket' color selector on the top (again, in the Contour property bar)...

Did that make sense?? 8)

Later,
Jon

HandTurnedMaple
02-16-2007, 04:27 PM
I think that makes sense. But while I was practicing with it, I discovered a bigger problem with my pic. :lol:

pkunk
02-16-2007, 05:50 PM
I'd love to. I'm hoping there's a .MOV file in my future. Nothing else works on my mac. :(
Meat, you could download Windows media player for your Mac or get Quicktime Pro from Apples website. I use both but QT Pro is the cat.
:D

meat
02-16-2007, 08:20 PM
Meat, you could download Windows media player for your Mac or get Quicktime Pro from Apples website. I use both but QT Pro is the cat.

Done and done. No joy. Maybe it's that damned Intel Mac thing I'm using...

Your pal,
Meat.

pkunk
02-16-2007, 09:07 PM

Your pal,
Meat.
Meat, I have an INtel iMac. I have QT Pro, which allows me to view all formats. What is your problem? PM me with your OS and software particulars. Paul

Jeff_Birt
02-16-2007, 09:54 PM
You guys and your defective Macs :wink:

meat
02-16-2007, 10:16 PM

Your pal,
Meat.
Meat, I have an INtel iMac. I have QT Pro, which allows me to view all formats. What is your problem? PM me with your OS and software particulars. Paul

I've got QTP as well as Final Cut Pro on both the MacBook Pro and the Mac Pro Quad Xeon. My OS is current and up to date with all the patches. I'm up to 10.4.8 on both machines, and am maxed on memory on both machines.

I'm only getting sound, no video.

Your pal,
Meat.

Jon Jantz
02-16-2007, 11:15 PM
Guys, I've been working all evening to try to get the videos produced as .MOV files but not having good luck. To get good enough video quality to be able to see the video clearly, it creates a 500 mb file... too big to be downloadable...

If I go down on the video quality, I can get it down to between 300-400 mb but you almost can't tell which tool I'm using...

Do Flash movies play alright on Mac systems? I'm going to try that next but it'll have to be later this weekend.

I'll keep at it until I figure something out, don't give up hope...

Thanks, Jon

Digitalwoodshop
02-16-2007, 11:44 PM
Jon,

I watch a Korean Soap on http://www.dailymotion.com/ConstableOdo/1

He solved the problem by splitting the 30 min show into 2 down loads.... Just an idea.... Part 1 and Part 2 a Mov ing idea......

AL

I watched it 3 times today, great job on the video.... Signs will be a big part of my business.... Thanks !!!!

meat
02-17-2007, 10:06 AM
Guys, I've been working all evening to try to get the videos produced as .MOV files but not having good luck. To get good enough video quality to be able to see the video clearly, it creates a 500 mb file... too big to be downloadable...

If I go down on the video quality, I can get it down to between 300-400 mb but you almost can't tell which tool I'm using...

Do Flash movies play alright on Mac systems? I'm going to try that next but it'll have to be later this weekend.

I'll keep at it until I figure something out, don't give up hope...

Thanks, Jon

I really appreciate it. I'm pretty good at CorelDraw (been using it since it was version 3), but any tips would be welcome.

Your pal,
Meat.

dbtahoe
02-26-2007, 03:31 PM
This should be pretty straight forward. If you need any help just send me a quick not.

jspringertx
03-02-2007, 07:56 AM
I am attempting to access your website, but I get double images and it is difficult to determine where to click.

I use IE7 and a brand-new 19" LCD monitor.

I am attaching a photo of the screen that illustrates the problem. I am sure others are experiencing the same problem.

Can you adjust your website to accomodate LCD users?

Charles M
03-02-2007, 08:00 AM
That site does the same thing to me. If you decrease the font size it will help: View>Test Size>Smaller

Jon Jantz
03-02-2007, 10:46 AM
Jspringer,

I've been trying to research what I can do to my site to prevent that from happening to people who run their text size in oversized mode... Maybe I need to go down with the size of text on some of those things and give it more room... so that if someone has their text size set that way, it will display properly... although I don't want to make the site layout look funny for the 99% of people who don't have it set like that...

I'm still fairly new to web-site building, but will continue to see what I can do to prevent that from happening....

BTW- it's not because you have an LCD monitor, on my computers, I have a 17", a 19", a 20" and a 22" widescreen and it displays properly on all those systems...

I'll try a couple of things, and let you know, so you can jump over there and test it for me....

Thanks!
Jon

Charles M
03-02-2007, 11:48 AM
Jon,

I have my text sizes set at default - not oversized - and I get the same thing. Looking at your page source, the problem is that CoffeeCup assigned absolutes to the font size:

<STYLE TYPE="text/css">
.textstyle0 {font-family:Arial;font-weight:normal;font-style:normal;font-size:12pt;text-decoration:none;color:#000000;}
.textstyle1 {font-family:Arial;font-weight:bold;font-style:normal;font-size:10pt;text-decoration:none;color:#000000;}
.textstyle2 {font-family:Arial;font-weight:normal;font-style:normal;font-size:14pt;text-decoration:none;color:#000000;}
.textstyle3 {font-family:Arial;font-weight:bold;font-style:normal;font-size:14pt;text-decoration:none;color:#000000;}
.textstyle4 {font-family:Arial;font-weight:bold;font-style:italic;font-size:18pt;text-decoration:none;color:#ff0000;}
.textstyle5 {font-family:Arial;font-weight:bold;font-style:italic;font-size:14pt;text-decoration:none;color:#ffffff;}
.textstyle6 {font-family:Arial;font-weight:bold;font-style:normal;font-size:14pt;text-decoration:underline;color:#000000;}
.textstyle7 {font-family:Arial;font-weight:bold;font-style:normal;font-size:12pt;text-decoration:none;color:#000000;}
.textstyle8 {font-family:Arial;font-weight:bold;font-style:normal;font-size:8pt;text-decoration:none;color:#000000;}
</STYLE>

Jon Jantz
03-02-2007, 01:17 PM
Ok, thanks, Charles...

I'll try to see why it's assigning fixed sizes... I can manually modify to the HTML code if I need to, to make it act right.....

I'll also play with some computer settings to see if I can replicate the problem here. That'd help me with being able to see if my changes to the site were fixing the problem...

Again, sorry for the trouble, guys and gals....

jspringertx
03-02-2007, 10:21 PM
Jon,
I have designed websites before using FrontPage and I never experienced the problem you are having so I can't be of any help.

As you can see from the feedback you have gotten from other forum members they have the same problem I do. Most people will not say anything and I hate to see you lose business because of it.

I for one want to buy some tutorials, but haven't due to way your website acts.

Good luck!

Jon Jantz
03-02-2007, 11:35 PM
LOL, Jspringer... I'm not too worried about making sales as I'm basically just trying to help folks out, not make a living with this. That's why I'm only asking $10 a piece... it does help cover the shopping cart subscription, software and hosting charges...

Charles, do you know what I need to enter in as the text size, if I do edit the html code manually? I can't figure a way to make it size the text differently using the Coffeecup program. I really like the way the program works, but may have to move to a different program... I have Frontpage and Dreamweaver as well... may have to use Dreamweaver.

At least I can replicate the problem on my system. It's like I suspected and said, it's because of the oversize font settings. If I right-click on my desktop, go to Properties>Settings>Advanced and change my DPI setting from Normal size to Large Size, it does that exact thing...

I've got it set like that now and trying to make the site display right with that setup.

Sorry again guys....

((I've noticed the same problem in some of my regular programs while I have the display setting set like this, so glad to see I'm not the only person who can't get his program to display properly.. hehe))

Charles M
03-03-2007, 08:27 AM
Jon,

In the HTML I have done I used tags with "large", "xx-large", etc. instead of stipulating the point size. Here's an example from my wife's site:

.style4 {color: #FFFFFF}
.style5 {font-size: large}
a:visited {
color: #99FFCC;
}
.style6 {
font-size: xx-large;
font-weight: bold;
}
.style7 {font-size: small}
.style12 {font-size: xx-large}
.style13 {font-size: x-large}
.style14 {font-size: xx-large; font-weight: bold; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; }
.style15 {font-size: medium}
.style16 {font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: large;}
.style18 {color: #99FFCC}

Jeff_Birt
03-03-2007, 08:54 PM
I removed the above post as it was quite inflamatory. Folks, let me be quit blunt, the forum is not a place to harass or insult other users. If you have a problem with another user, bring it up with them directly (and/or a moderator) via PM. DO NOT BRING IT UP IN A PUBLIC FORUM, PLEASE!

Thanks and now let's all make some chips.......

BobHill
03-04-2007, 08:40 AM
Jon,

I haven't noticed, so I'll enter that I also have flat panel monitors (running with dual Sony 19"ers) and no problem at all with the text. I'm running the default screen display of 1280/1024 on each. I still think you are right in that those with the problem are running larger display settings than the size of monitor needs. Perhaps its a question of their graphics card rather than an intentional setting. One does have to have the right graphics card for the newer monitors, that's for sure.

Bob

Charles M
03-04-2007, 09:56 AM
Bob,

I'm running my 19" Dell monitor at 1280 X 1024 and have everything at default settings. I am confident that the problem is in the absolute font size used in the HTML code. Absolutes are not conducive to correct viewing with the varied browsers' interpretations.

BobHill
03-04-2007, 11:16 AM
Charles,

You know, I do believe you are right. I keep forgetting that when I wish to do HTML, I cheat and use DreamWeaver and that calls for relative font sizes, not absolutes. I haven't used HTML code for a long time and forget that some people still do that (gee, how many are into Basic still <g>).

Bob

poteetjr
03-17-2007, 03:15 PM
Jon,
Wondering how the patch/badge train video is going. I am working on some patches and need some help or instruction…

Kenxxx
03-18-2007, 11:40 AM
I get the same screen with all the overwrite. Very difficult to make sense of items or select for download.

Sarge
03-18-2007, 12:28 PM
Since when does the Army come to the aid of the Air Force???? ;) I thought it was the other way around. Here is a quick draft mpc. You'll have to play with it some, not much.

AIRBORNE!!! (They're not all "perfectly good" airplanes) ;)

geddins
10-20-2007, 08:59 PM
I've bought and downloaded the tutorial...but when I play the video clip it's just audio. I'm running vista Home Premium and Media Player 11. Is it a codec issue?

Thanks in advance.

Greg

Jeff_Birt
10-20-2007, 09:28 PM
Yes. Jon has a link on the download page for the correct codec to download (I had the same issue on my new Vista laptop :p).

geddins
10-20-2007, 09:34 PM
LOL...Thanks Jeff....I had looked at Jon's page before I posted here for something about an upgrade, yada yada yada.......you think I should have looked in the same section as the tutorial was?!? :oops:

got it and working great!

G

Gary Koval
10-22-2007, 07:37 AM
Jon,
I also have the same problem on your site and if I captured the screen it's the same as "Autobody's". My settings are 1028 X 768-32 bit. Also tried 1152 X 864, and 1280 x 720, it got better but still having problems seeing/reading it. If I'm also doing something wrong can you adviseme?

Jeff_Birt
10-22-2007, 10:03 AM
Gary, I'm not Jon but I have played around a bit to see what causes the problem reading certain web sites that use a fixed CSS layout. There can be a few underlying causes of this problem.

#1, you have the DPI on your video card set to something other the 96 DPI. Setting the DPI higher can make some things easier to read but it can mess up many programs not just web browsers.

#2, you have your font size setting in Windows set to a larger size. Again this can make things easier to read but some programs and web sites will not work that way.

#3, your using FireFox. I use FireFox a lot too, but it does not handle integrating a change in system font size into the web page layout correctly. Internet Explorer does a much better job.

Hope that helps....

Jon Jantz
10-23-2007, 09:34 AM
Hey guys.... sorry, I was out of pocket this weekend and just saw this message...

Thanks, Jeff.. what he said is correct. There are certain things that make it not display right and he listed them. It is due to a problem with the web design program I am using. I've figured out how to fix the problem (I think) and thought I had done it, but it still didn't look right. I now have a script in place to fix the pages automatically, so they should look right now... at least they do on my Firefox.

So check out the pages again and get back with me if you are still having jumbled problems.

THANKS!!
Jon