PDA

View Full Version : Z-Axis and Carvewright Support AAA++

benluz
02-03-2007, 07:10 PM
I had several problems after 2 hours of use.Like many of you I had the Z-axis error .Carvewright told me what I needed(Z-axis motor kit) sent me the parts and in 20 minutes they all were installed and I was back in business. Now I don't worry about problems with the machine any more , because it's pretty easy to work on.
Ben

The Bard
02-04-2007, 12:14 AM
8)

IM2HAPPI
02-04-2007, 04:23 AM
I wouldnt know :cry: I have yet to have to call them. So on that note.....Hey all down there in Texas, Hello !!!! I hear your all pretty nice people. I hoping I dont have to talk to you but JIC :lol:

Ps knocking on wood and being very thankful I havent had.
Barb

toothpicks
02-06-2007, 12:40 PM
I had several problems after 2 hours of use.Like many of you I had the Z-axis error .Carvewright told me what I needed(Z-axis motor kit) sent me the parts and in 20 minutes they all were installed and I was back in business. Now I don't worry about problems with the machine any more , because it's pretty easy to work on.
Ben

How did you get in touch with them? Their phone system is totally hosed (I'm thinking it's because of the large numbers of calls for help - not "interest", as their voicemail message suggests).

(Update: WooHooooo! I got ahold of a warm body there! Waiting for Chris to give me a call back now. Yes!)

I'm having Z-axis problems too. Guess I will take screwdriver-in-hand tonight and see if I can find the problem. Trouble is, that's the kind of thing I do for a living. Not the kind of thing I want to do as a hobby!

The Bard
02-06-2007, 09:05 PM
hope I catch you tomorrow... if i didn't today. They took away my computer :cry:

toothpicks
02-07-2007, 05:44 AM
hope I catch you tomorrow... if i didn't today. They took away my computer :cry:

You know you should stay away from those kinds of websites at work! Bad dog! Go to bed!

Seriously, I hope so too. This thing is making me crazy. Tried to carve again last night, after doing everything in the PDF file about the bit plate. Updated firmware. Screw is tight. Rail wiper is trimmed. Checked for burrs where the Z truck contacts the bit plate. Touched up with jewelers file. Lifted the cover - all cabling seems to be dressed properly. Again with the bit plate not swinging out all the way. Two more Y/Z homing errors (log file just sent your way). Don't know if these errors are related to the bit plate thing or not. If it has to do with the homing sensor/flag setup on the Z truck, I have blown that out and checked it visually - doesn't seem to be any residue on the sensor.

It just seems like the Y drive motor doesn't have quite enough torque to overcome the return spring on the bit plate.

Hope I get to work B4 you call; we sleep in for a couple hours more than you do, by virtue of our excellent location here. :wink:

The Bard
02-07-2007, 08:26 AM
I'm home now.

I really wonder what version of software you're running.

when you turn the machine on.... hit "0" and "2" and see if you're running 1.117... if not, something happened while you were upgrading.

be sure and upgrade the flashcard by hitting the "firmware" button in the flash manager under FILE. Then hitting Choose and selecting the file from wherever you downloaded it. Hope that helps.

pkunk
02-07-2007, 09:49 AM
I'm home now.

when you turn the machine on.... hit "0" and "2" and see if you're running 1.117... if not, something happened while you were upgrading.

be sure and upgrade the flashcard by hitting the "firmware" button in the flash manager under FILE. Then hitting Choose and selecting the file from wherever you downloaded it. Hope that helps.
Bard, can you explain the 1.117 update? My software update indicates 1.115 is the latest version.

BobHill
02-07-2007, 09:56 AM
Bard,

That had me going also, and I just checked for updates to see that my 1.115 IS the latest. Are you having a mind f-rt or knowing what you have and we don't? :roll:

Bob

Jeff_Birt
02-07-2007, 09:58 AM
In the bit plate troubleshooting pdf there is a link to download a new firmware version for the machine (not the PC/MAC software) . It changes how it goes over to hit the bit plate. I understand that the beta machines used an optical sensor instead of the bit plate so the update may not apply to you guys.

BobHill
02-07-2007, 10:12 AM
Aha .... perhaps that is the answer, Jeff ..... but what is the best, Bard. The bit plate or the optical and if we have the wrong one .... ????

Bob

toothpicks
02-07-2007, 11:08 AM
I'm home now.

I know I flashed the card with 1.117. I checked it afterwards to be sure it said 1.117. I am not absolutely sure that it got transfered to the machine though. That's a transparent function to the user, right?

I will check when I get home tonight. Other than that, any thoughts? I started a different thread somewhere around here, asking about the tension of the Y-axis drive belt. Since I did have trouble with a loose tension plate screw, I'm sure the tension is not as it was when it left the factory. I just have it "finger tight". That is, I pushed on it enough to take out any slack but did not use any tools to pry the tension plate further.

Thx!

toothpicks
02-07-2007, 11:16 AM
Aha .... perhaps that is the answer, Jeff ..... but what is the best, Bard. The bit plate or the optical and if we have the wrong one .... ????

Bob

The mechanical plate does seem to be a PITA, but they must have had trouble with the optical sensor. (Although, there are still optical sensors inside that are subject to dust - hmmmm)

The spot where the Z truck hits the plate does not present much of a cam-like contour, for one thing. And that return spring is pretty stout - when it did work the first few times I wondered what was making that "whack" sound! And I can see where they really would not like to have that plate wondering around in the cut area. I sure would like to try maybe a little softer spring though. Either that, or send the Z truck over to hit it at, say mach III?

Jeff_Birt
02-07-2007, 12:02 PM
I put a bit of bicycle chain wax on the bit plate cam andn the contact area of the Y-Truck. This has seemed to help.

A note to anyone trying to contacty CW: I tried about 4-5 times this mornign and got through. It does seem as though their phone system is a bit screwy at the moment as the fisrt calls were answerd by an automated system that did not even seem to let you try any extensions. But rest assured they are there answering phones. I was told that the techs were working on yesterdays call backs and that I may get a call later today or tomorrow morning. (singing to the music in my head) Anticipation, anticipa..a..a.tion....

toothpicks
02-07-2007, 12:42 PM
I put a bit of bicycle chain wax on the bit plate cam andn the contact area of the Y-Truck. This has seemed to help.

A note to anyone trying to contacty CW: I tried about 4-5 times this mornign and got through. It does seem as though their phone system is a bit screwy at the moment as the fisrt calls were answerd by an automated system that did not even seem to let you try any extensions. But rest assured they are there answering phones. I was told that the techs were working on yesterdays call backs and that I may get a call later today or tomorrow morning. (singing to the music in my head) Anticipation, anticipa..a..a.tion....

That's a good call, Jeff. I will try that too.

I was also thinking of wiping down all my rails with a rag sprayed with silicone. I have always used that as a lube in the field where other lubes might cause crud buildup. I haven't gotten any messages to the effect that I need to clean my rails, but preventive maintenance pays.

Hey, maybe I too will get a callback today? Could happen! Not sure though, from what The Bard mentioned above it looks like he's at home today. Probably nursing a near-fatal hangover.

:wink:

Cliff
02-07-2007, 12:55 PM
That does raise an interesting question, when I received my machine at the end of january it had firmware 1.13 I then upgraded it to firmware 1.15 with the first software update and have since checked through the software and it says I have the latest version firmware 1.15. Yet I can down load version 1.17 throught the troubleshooting pdf. I version 1.17 only for those machines having problems or is it safe to download on all machines?
After each use I wipe all friction contact surfaces, rails, and guides with a light coat of earl (oil) light being the key word. oil applied to a cloth and rubbed into the surface by the next use there is no excess to really collect dust, at least not so far and everything still glides smoothly. Lock Tight even makes what they call a dry lube.

toothpicks
02-08-2007, 12:01 PM
I'm home now.

OH, BTW. I did check last night. My machine tells me that it is at 1.117.

And at this point in time I find that I must apologize for the blatant hijacking of your thread, benluz! Well, at least it does relate to their product support...

toothpicks
02-09-2007, 11:16 AM
So after spending almost an hour of quality time on the phone, my baby seems to be fixed and we are carving!

You are awesome, Chris. Thanks for the support.

The Bard
02-09-2007, 11:22 AM
that was YOU? oh man, if I'd known that... :evil:

toothpicks
02-09-2007, 01:58 PM
that was YOU? oh man, if I'd known that... :evil:

:oops:

OK, I take back half of the nasty things I said about you.

:lol:

benluz
02-09-2007, 06:25 PM
Hello guys , after getting things back working and also geting the scannerI was really impressed ! the scanner does a great job of duplicating.But when I went to carve a bigger project the bit plungegd again.after taking the cover off I noticed the black cover on the z motor had fallen out somehow.....I went ahead and pulled the zmotor assembly and looked it over. The clear disc in the back that spins through a sensor had some black spots of crud on it.I cleaned and attached the coolling fin housing and on the bottom side wher the makers applied some hot melt to help hold the cover(mine always seems a little loose on the z-motor ,but all the thers are tight, so I used some liquid nails to hold it as the hot melt did not stick very well.I'm also going to check for the pinched wire on the board sensor as described in another post.Between all of us and carvewright, hopefully we can get to the bottom of z-axis bit plunge. Oh, if Bard is out there can you tell us what is involved in rebuilding the z-motor pack ???
Ben

The Bard
02-09-2007, 11:34 PM
yes i can.

more brains than I have and
a payscale above mine.