PDA

View Full Version : Trouble with text

dehrlich
01-07-2013, 08:10 PM
I'm wondering why most everytime I carve text, it has like a little shallow ledge like an outline on the letters that usually doesn't carve very smooth. It's annoying because either you have to try and get it smooth, or round it over and make the letters not look as sharp. Here's one I just carved that had this issue. Is it my pattern? Thanks!

JuicyCarp
01-07-2013, 08:17 PM
Would adding a little draft help? I dont exactly know what you mean by a ledge.

dehrlich
01-07-2013, 08:17 PM
Here I took a pic of one I just carved today that shows what I'm talking about

dehrlich
01-07-2013, 08:18 PM
Would adding a little draft help? I dont exactly know what you mean by a ledge.

I usually always put at least a small draft on all text, sometimes medium. Doesn't seem to matter.

JuicyCarp
01-07-2013, 08:30 PM
lol, definately not what I was thinking it was going to be, that looks interesting, and equally annoying I am sure! Unfortunately I dont have a clue!

DickB
01-07-2013, 08:55 PM
That's an artifact that I have seen when using Bit Optimization. Try selecting the text and choose no bit optimization - bet it goes away.

dehrlich
01-07-2013, 09:01 PM
That's an artifact that I have seen when using Bit Optimization. Try selecting the text and choose no bit optimization - bet it goes away.

NO bit optimization? I'll try it and see what happens but I am afraid what I get is rough. Gotta get that Rock soon!

brdad
01-08-2013, 06:05 AM
I remember having this issues a few times. It was one of the reasons I bought the centerline text - despite my not wanting to pay that much for it.

Before centerline, I think I mostly corrected the problem you have when I started using a piece of brass shim stock under the bit when it asks to find the surface. When the bit touches the surface it drives into the wood, especially softer woods, and the machine thinks the top of the board is lower than it really is. Also, if the board is not perfectly flat, some areas may be higher than others. The shim helps with this.

Nice looking project, centerline would do wonders on that. My first centerline project was arced text as well.

radman5506
01-08-2013, 07:10 AM
dehrlich DickB is correct about the Optimization, if you select your text and increase the depth it will show in Designer the ledge you are getting . You seem to have Optimization set to Best, try none and you will see the difference.
I believe I saw in a video or tip that the purpose of Optimization is to help prevent loss of detail when bringing in images to convert to patterns, not really necessary with text.

DickB
01-08-2013, 09:29 AM
Bit optimization is commonly misunderstood.

Take a look at the mpc that I have made to illustrate. I've selected the 3/16" ballnose bit to exaggerate the effect, but the same applies to the more typical 1/16" carving bit.

The stripes at the right were made using a pattern of four black and three white bars of equal width. White is lower. With no bit optimization, top, the machine is going to trace the white bars about .25" deep using the tip of the bit. I used another identically-sized pattern and the outline tool to show where the white areas are. Without optimization, the deep (white) areas are carved 3/16" wider than the pattern would suggest.

Below see the difference with Bit Optimization Best. The machine (or software) compensates for the diameter of the bit and produces more equally-spaced bars.

Now look at the raised lettering to the left. With no bit optimization, again the center of the bit traces the edge of letters when cutting deep, and the letters are 3/16" thinner than "normal". I have again outlined the letters so you can see where the center of the bit will be.

See the difference below with Bit Optimization Best. For raised lettering, especially small letters, Bit Optimization Best is usually the preferred choice.

But look at the difference with recessed lettering. Even though with no bit optimization the letters are thicker than normal, it is probably the better choice in this case.

Bit optimization doesn't affect the quality of the carve in terms of a smoother cut. That would be the mode that you select when uploading the project (Draft, Normal, Best, Optimized). It's unfortunate that the term "optimized" was used in the latter context, because it can cause confusion with the designer tool Bit Optimization.

radman5506
01-08-2013, 04:17 PM
I have found the tutorial on Bit Optimization it can be found at www.carvebuddy.com (http://www.carvebuddy.com) under the learning center tab. There is also a lot of other tutorials and information that really helps.

lynnfrwd
02-26-2013, 05:59 PM
Bit optimization doesn't affect the quality of the carve in terms of a smoother cut. That would be the mode that you select when uploading the project (Draft, Normal, Best, Optimized). It's unfortunate that the term "optimized" was used in the latter context, because it can cause confusion with the designer tool Bit Optimization.

It's actually "Draft, Normal, Best & Optimal", but I wish it was named something else too. I always mistakenly call it Optimum.