PDA

View Full Version : 1/8" Cutting Bit from eBay; it is OK?

gelu_b
01-07-2013, 03:02 PM
A Happy and prosperous New Year 2013 to all forum members!

I found this item on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-8-CUTTING-BIT-FOR-CARVEWRIGHT-MACHINES-OR-COMPUCARVE-Kyocera-Microtools-/380447828845?pt=Routers_Bits&hash=item5894752b6d

Do you know, it is ok to use it?

Thank you for your replies.

Gelu

chief2007
01-07-2013, 03:15 PM
You can use it - but would need the split collet or be able to press the bit into a carvetight adapter if you are using a carvetight spindle.

If you have the Quick Chuck, install the bit into the adapter and use permanent thread locker to keep the allen screws and bit tight.

I have actually bought and use this bit in my machines with the appropriate adapter.

Northwoods Woodcrafter
01-08-2013, 09:13 AM
Wont this carbide bit slip in the split collet adapter?

chebytrk
01-08-2013, 09:16 AM
No, it shouldn't slip. These are the only type bits that I use and I have a CT and Rock Chuck. I use the 1/2 -> 1/4 adapter. No plastic stop collars either. They've always worked for me.

Wont this carbide bit slip in the split collet adapter?

lawrence
01-08-2013, 10:09 AM
This is a disputed situation, but to put it simply, LHR recommends using their press fit adapters and not using split collets. I personally use split collets, but wanted to make sure you understand that it is going against what the manufacturer has recommended (at least in the past... I'm not a LHR rep so I am not speaking for them, just relaying what their representatives have said in the past)

I'm not saying this to begin an arguement, just pointing out what their official stance has been in the past so you have all the information available before you make your purchase.

V/r
Lawrence