PDA

View Full Version : Vector Carve using raster

badbert
01-04-2013, 01:39 AM
I have a confession to make... I struggle using vector mode. I only have basic software (which is phenomenal) so I don't use Centerline text. Whenever I put a vector bit in my machine, something goes wrong! I am batting 80% with cut-paths! I stand right by the machine with my finger on the stop button during cut-outs! LOL I think it must be psychological, I have a fear of routers! But this post is not meant to complain. I just wanted to share one of those "AWE" inspiring moments. I was laying out a ogee path. And got it the way I liked it. I was thinking, "Man, I wish I could think of a better way...". I came up with creating a gradient in Photoshop... But that is a pain too! You have to create the gradient. Import it, adjust it, import it again, adjust it again. Then finally make a pattern, align four pieces evenly, and then finally, Create Pattern. Wouldn’t it be nice if we could just skip right to create pattern… You can!

Make a rectangle, assign a bit.
Just set the depth to the depth you want, no multi-pass necessary.
Now in the carving list, right-click on the path you just created.
Click group.
Now right click on the group folder.
Click on make pattern.
Save it.
Now delete the path you created.
Open patterns and find the pattern you just created.
Load it on to the board.
Now you can you use bit optimization and optimal carve.
It is a lot longer but it carves!

Now, why did I buy these edge bits?! LOL ;)

fwharris
01-04-2013, 01:56 AM
It is just plain fun stuff! Now did you also know you can also now right click on your new pattern in the pattern list, export it and with the pattern editing software you can do even more...

lawrence
01-04-2013, 10:09 AM
Yup, and if you NEED the centerline effect, you can ask someone to make a pattern for you with centerine text in it, but then make it into a pattern... and though it won't be as clean as you'd like, it'll carve the centerline test rasterized...

It's a very cool way of getting around vector if you need to.

Thanks for reminding us all and pointing it out to those that didn't know... it's amazing how some things get assumed and then not taught. (like the alt-shift-h, alt-shift-v thing... that is AWESOME)

Now the more important question is-- how can we help you with your vector carves? What is your main concern with them?

Lawrence

badbert
01-04-2013, 10:41 AM
Thanks Lawrence! Yes I know that you can create a pattern from Centerline text. But I have always been able to simulate it on my own. So I have never needed it, done.... yet! :)

It seems like every time I do a vector carve, I have tracking issues. My sled is too heavy, for one... I need to come up with a lighter one. Thanks for your concern! Next time I run into a problem, I'll be sure to look you up! Heck, I almost had a fire trying to use cut-path in MDF. The bit got pitched up, and started smoldering!

lawrence
01-04-2013, 10:59 AM
Excellent! (I hope you didn't take my post as patronizing... I really do mean it when I say that posting stuff like this really does help folks understand the machine better)

On a side note, centerline and conforming vectors are AWESOME.... you wouldn't regret the purchase!

Lawrence

Nick68
01-04-2013, 11:05 AM
Good job Lawrence.

lawrence
01-04-2013, 11:17 AM
...I'm just all up in every post right now because I'm home sick and the meds/headcold are making me a little fuzzy ;) . It also makes it to where I can't be sure if I'm being tactful or not...

Lawrence

badbert
01-04-2013, 11:56 AM
LOL One thing you never lack is Tact, my friend. And never think you are patronizing! Your opinions and assistance are highly valued here! Since you are home sick... what ya workin on?

lawrence
01-04-2013, 12:13 PM
Sittin' at the computer bundled up.... Tonight I think I'll be doing a webinar for a member on another forum- just sitting online sharing my desktop screen and answering question about what I'm able to do with the carvewright software- especially with Coreldraw and sketchup. If anyone is interested I'll invite you so you can join in

Lawrence

badbert
01-04-2013, 12:32 PM
What time? I might be interested!!

Bigtyme
01-04-2013, 12:49 PM
Sorry to hear you are under the weather, Lawrence. It isn't a fun time of the year to have a bug. Please let me know the webimare time as well. Would like to sit on if I can. Promises the LOML a dinner out so may not be able to, but will see...
Hope you are better soon. We are up at our place the the wilds of Michigan's UP and the 10 degree weather makes it nice to be inside :)

lawrence
01-04-2013, 01:15 PM
I'll let y'all know once I know :)

Lawrence

Bigtyme
01-04-2013, 01:17 PM
Sounds great, Lawrence. Thank you

lawrence
01-04-2013, 01:20 PM
wow, thanks for all the PM's etc.. anyone interested in trying it now? If so just email me your email address and I'll send the invite to you

No pressure to stay for any length etc-

V/r
Lawrence

lawrence
01-04-2013, 01:28 PM
not sure if this will work- can someone just try entering the meeting using this link?

http://www.anymeeting.com/lawrence1

Thanks in advance,
Lawrence

badbert
01-04-2013, 01:41 PM
By the way, what is the other forum? Anything we would be interested in?

lawrence
01-04-2013, 01:50 PM
thanks to those that swung by- hopefully it'll be faster later on tonight

I'm pretty active in
WWA
woodnet forum
and woodtalk online forum - all good places (wood net is a little like the wild west sometimes though)

Lawrence

fwharris
01-04-2013, 02:08 PM
not sure if this will work- can someone just try entering the meeting using this link?

http://www.anymeeting.com/lawrence1

Thanks in advance,
Lawrence

Says meeting is not active yet...

lawrence
01-04-2013, 02:33 PM
sorry I ended the meeting until I could troubleshoot some lag issues

I think I've got it figured out for tonight- I'll post another link later on, but thanks for trying to swing in!

My cold meds are kicking in a bit more methinks... zzzzzzz
Lawrence