PDA

View Full Version : Houston do we have a problem?

JuicyCarp
01-03-2013, 06:14 PM
Last night i did a test carve in pine of a sign design that several of you helped me out with, and it went perfect. So today I wanted to carve the actual sign, using the same pattern with a few slight changes. The sign is carving right now, but all the text is on the same level, and i am slightly worried about it. I am too impatient to wait till its done to see if its going to go back and fix itself, so i thought i would post here!

Other than a few size adjustments, and deleting a bit of text, the only thing i changed was the quality of the carve, from normal to best. Here is the MPC, i will post a picture when its finished.

My big concern at the moment is that "Fort Bragg CID" and "Digital Forensics" are carving at the same level, which is the top of the board.

Thoughts?

fwharris
01-03-2013, 06:34 PM
If this is the mpc you are carving there is a 0.042 difference in the heights.

lawrence
01-03-2013, 06:41 PM
it may only appear to be the same, have you tried blowing some compressed air on it and shining a light in? Sometimes my eyes deceive me when a carve is taking place

Lawrence

JuicyCarp
01-03-2013, 08:00 PM
the height seems to be confusing me more, the more i try to understand it!

i think i should have set Digital Forensics to a height of 250, and Fort Bragg to a height of 80 to acheive the look i was after.

anyways, here is a picture of my first peice of CarveWright Kindling! Too bad it was a nice peice of oak!

lawrence
01-03-2013, 08:03 PM
man, I'm sorry... hopefully that wasn't the MPC I helped make... If so I'm doubly sorry

Back on the horse tomorrow?

Lawrence

JuicyCarp
01-03-2013, 08:05 PM
lol, i am not sure what happened! the one you helped make worked out perfect, i guess somehow i changed something! But yes, i most definately will be trying again tomorrow!

JuicyCarp
01-03-2013, 08:40 PM
Speaking of the pattern you helped with, here it is almost finished, just missing a clear coat. Its my test carve, so the final product should look a bit better, and a litle less sloppy. The wood is dyed with a dark colonial red mohagony analine dye, and the letters are gold leaf (though its hard to tell by the light in the pic).

badbert
01-03-2013, 08:52 PM
the height seems to be confusing me more, the more i try to understand it!

i think i should have set Digital Forensics to a height of 250, and Fort Bragg to a height of 80 to acheive the look i was after.

anyways, here is a picture of my first peice of CarveWright Kindling! Too bad it was a nice peice of oak!

58539 A wise man admits his mistakes, To be a master, is to fix them.... It's just wood! RECARVE IT!! Lower what you want lowered!

seathis
01-03-2013, 09:33 PM
I do a ton of these text on text carves. Text first, then rectangle carve region. Otherwise, they never turn out. I'm away from main computer and just on an Ipad, so don't have my pattern notes in front of me. If you still have problems, pm me and I'll send you my notes.

dehrlich
01-04-2013, 09:55 AM
I do a ton of these text on text carves. Text first, then rectangle carve region. Otherwise, they never turn out. I'm away from main computer and just on an Ipad, so don't have my pattern notes in front of me. If you still have problems, pm me and I'll send you my notes.

What do you mean... like have the machine carve the text out, then go back and carve the rectangle part to remove the surrounding material?

seathis
01-04-2013, 02:53 PM
No sorry. In Designer. On the pattern.