PDA

View Full Version : engraving bits

Carl H
01-03-2013, 12:34 AM
Is it possible to use a bit like this in the CW
http://www.amazon.com/Onsrud-Carbide-Engraving-Uncoated-Diameter/dp/B00746V5MA/ref=sr_1_5?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1357194550&sr=1-5&keywords=1.4+shank+engraving+bit#productDescriptio n
(http://www.amazon.com/Onsrud-Carbide-Engraving-Uncoated-Diameter/dp/B00746V5MA/ref=sr_1_5?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1357194550&sr=1-5&keywords=1.4+shank+engraving+bit#productDescriptio n)
I don't imagine it would last a long time but it would be nice to do fine lettering or detail work.

Just a thought

lawrence
01-03-2013, 07:35 AM
The biggest problem I could see with it would be during the "touch" point- where the bit measures the board thickness. I heard that some folks tried the amana bits that were very small like that and had problems with the machine registering the "touch" due to the point just poking into the wood instead of touching onto it.

If I were trying this I would use another bit for the "touch" period, pause the machine, and then load one of these up with the exact same amount sticking out before unpausing it.

Just my.02 and not based on first-hand knowledge-- perhaps one of the guys here that has successfully done this will chime in with much more relevant/fact based info (rather than my theoretical/second-hand info!)

Lawrence

Carl H
01-03-2013, 08:11 AM
Good point. Pun intended ;)
I wonder if a piece of thin metal was place temporarily under the touch point, it may help.
That way the bit would not penetrate so much.
It would be interesting to see how small a text we could cut with the centerline software, and still have it legible.
Another thought.... could use a rod that was the exact length of the protrusion of the bit and clip it along side the bit for the depth test. Then remove it once the depth is measured..... would sure fly around if you didnt get it in time :D

RMarkey
01-03-2013, 09:49 AM
I don't suggest single-flute bits.

When I tested 22.5 degree 2-flute v bits on the machine, they came out fine. I just taped a small hardwood shim on the bit plate to keep my tip from getting damaged. Max depth of the bit was about 0.25".

I also lowered the rpms to 3000 and increased the feed rate to 1.5"/s, which you can't do. I would just leave it as the 60 degree v in the software.