PDA

View Full Version : Need Help again

Loriblackdog
01-02-2013, 08:19 AM
Ok, I am still learning and not sure of what I need to do, can someone look at my piece and tell me how I fix it so that I can learn what I am doing wrong. I took 2 pictures and want to combine into 1 scene with the Pine tree and bear? I would greatly appreciate any advise.

Thank you

HAPPY NEW YEAR

Loriblackdog:)58451

DickB
01-02-2013, 09:23 AM
It looks like you have left a "background" on each picture. Generally this is not desirable. The pictures themselves also look to be of somewhat poor quality and could use some cleanup. If you post the pictures I will take a look at them and show you what to do.

Do you have the Pattern Editor software add on (also comes with the scanning probe)? It's not necessary, but helpful to know.

SteveNelson46
01-02-2013, 09:45 AM
Lorieblackdog

I put a carve region around the two patterns and then just played arround with the depth and the height on each of them until the background went away. I also applied a medium draft to both pattrens and set the bit quality to best on everything.

Loriblackdog
01-02-2013, 09:51 AM
58456584575845658457That is just it, I am trying to learn how use this pattern editor and create my own pictures, but not sure on how to do it, I did not get the probe. I used micrsoft paint to clean up a little but I am not sure how to get the cleaned up one to another area that I can fix. I am trying to learn by doing....????????? Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated.

Loriblackdog

DickB
01-02-2013, 10:59 AM
Loriblackdog,

I only worked with the bear image, but as these are both silhouettes similar techniques should work.

The bear image is very small and, as a jpg format, contains undesirable artifacts. If possible, start with higher-resolution images in non-lossy formats like png.

The free program paint.net is more capable and I am familiar with it so that is what I used. I opened your picture.

Next I enlarged it 400%. If you look carefully you can see dark grey pixels in with the black. These will carve as bumps so we want to get rid of them. Also we want to get rid of the frame and background. I selected the magic wand, set the resolution to 60%, and clicked on the inside of the bear:

Then, I added a new layer, an de-selected the old layer:

Finally, I painted in the selected layer in black.

I saved this in png format:

Try importing it into designer and see what you think.

Bottom line, for silhouettes you want a crisp image, one color, no background.

bjbethke
01-03-2013, 01:11 AM
Silhouettes are easy to work with. You can use the Designer to make them work. I use PhotoShop to clean and size the image.

Carl H
01-03-2013, 08:15 AM
Nice Job.

I have been thinking of making a grayscale step pattern to figure out how deep each shade will carve. I know it is dependent on the depth of cut and the height settings. I did a design for a logo last week and found the gray I chose cut a bit too deep.
Maybe what I need to do is make my first test only 16 shades of gray and work from there.

CNC Carver
01-03-2013, 08:23 AM
I thought the book was named fifty shades of grey. lol

A test carve of various shades of grey will help you visualize in the designer. Also print the design on a paper for reference.

DickB
01-03-2013, 09:42 AM
I have been thinking of making a grayscale step pattern to figure out how deep each shade will carve. I know it is dependent on the depth of cut and the height settings.

Been there. Done that.

badbert
01-03-2013, 11:06 AM
Been there. Done that.
58504 Very Cool!! Thank you!