PDA

View Full Version : How do I test the cut motor?

cestout
01-01-2013, 04:45 PM
The cut motor on my older machinme quit. Can I pull it out and connect 110V ac to it to see if the motor is bad and not something in the control system? Or howe do I test for that? I got a Z failure mid carve. I was due for a brush change so I did that but it won't fire up. Does someone rebuild them or do I just go to LHR?
Clint

Digitalwoodshop
01-01-2013, 05:46 PM
I have never hooked 115 VAC to my cut motor direct.

It is possible that the brush is hung up in the brass sleeve.... Thumping on the Cut Motor carefully with the back of a Screwdriver handle could fix it.... Not too hard...

Once you have gone back and checked the connections to the Cut Motor as in the push on connectors, sometimes they come loose.. And have even heard of them needing to be re crimped...

Then there is the Right Side Cover Switch, it needs to engage... Even the act of removing the whole top cover and as you move it around since the clear cover does not have a mechanical stop... As you carry it, the clear cover is resting on the switches.... I actually had the right side plastic tang snap off in 2007.... Before I always remembered to support the clear cover...

Then the C1 Cap under the machine, it can snap off one side... Had that happen to 3 of my 4 machines back in the vibrating QC days.... THAT will prevent the Cut Motor from starting as the Q1 Transistor is the Electronic Switch through a Photo Coupler on the X Termination Board....

So once you have checked all that....

Time to start swapping parts... Cut Motor first then the X Termination Board....

And Wiring.... From the X Termination Board, black and white wire. Black goes to the black on the Cut Motor. White from the X Termination Board and White from the Cut Motor GO THROUGH the black and white of the Right cover Switch, either wire, it's in and out....

Good Luck,

AL

chief2007
01-01-2013, 06:36 PM
Quick Check - With the brushes installed in the motor, use a multimeter across the 2 wire of the cut motor - look for continuity, if no continuity open the motor and look for a loose or burnt wire, - if you have continuity, check for voltage on the 2 wires running up that connect to the motor from x termination board. No voltage time to go under the machine and look at the board.

cestout
01-01-2013, 07:01 PM
The thing stopped before I replaced the brushes, so a hung up brush is not the problem, and I checked the lid switch. I guess the quickest way is to swap motors with the good machine and see what happens. I hadn't thought about the capacitor. How interchangeable are the underneath parts between a B and C?
Thanks
Clint

chief2007
01-01-2013, 07:19 PM
They are all interchangeable. I have an A and 3 Cs I change parts around all the time to troubleshoot.

badbert
01-01-2013, 07:24 PM
I thought the CUT MOTOR was a DC motor ran off the power supply... is it AC?

chief2007
01-01-2013, 08:30 PM
I thought the CUT MOTOR was a DC motor ran off the power supply... is it AC?

Nope it is an ac motor

badbert
01-01-2013, 08:33 PM
Good to know!!

cestout
01-02-2013, 06:12 PM
All fixed. I swapped motors and proved the motor wasfaulty. As Chief suggested, I measuredcontinuity from one input lead to the other. When I moved the wires it jumped all over the place from open to a bunchof resistance. Inspecting the wires I couldsee no obvious problem so I opened the motor to check each wire end toend. I found the shorter - black - wire,the tip of the split spade type connector had burnt off. LHR said they don't sell that part or thewire harness. Radio Shack has nothingeven close. I took a short piece ofstranded about 18ga wire, stripped 3/8" and flattened it, soaked it withsolder, then split it with Diagonal cut pliers. I cut off the offending tip and spliced onmy new one. The waqy I splice is to strip a short piece of eachwire and slide the stranded ends together and solder. That gives a splice not much thicker than theoriginal wire. I covered the splice with a heat shrink tube. I haven't carved with it yet, but when I pretendedto set up a carve, the bit spun when I inserted the bit. I went thru all this so maybe someone elsecan fix the same or similar problem.
Thanks again for your help.
Clint

Digitalwoodshop
01-02-2013, 07:20 PM
Good job !!!!!!

AL

badbert
01-02-2013, 08:26 PM
Great news Clint!