PDA

View Full Version : The CarveWright Mantle Clock - January 2013 Project of the Month

mtylerfl
12-31-2012, 05:46 PM
Hello,

Here is a preview of the next Project of the Month (for JANUARY 2013)... The CarveWright Mantle Clock! The finished timepiece can be proudly displayed on a mantle, bookshelf, side table or desktop. All components are arranged, carved and cut out from a single board. This simple and very useful project is ideal as a gift or resale product at arts & crafts shows! The project uses just the 1/16" Carving Bit and the 1/8" Cutting Bit. No other bits are required.

The completed CarveWright Mantle Clock is about is about 12.25" wide x 6.5" tall x 4.25" deep.

Main Items you will need...
1) The Project Files (included):
• Mantle_Clock_1.mpc

2) Boards with the following dimensions:
Mantle Clock: 0.75" x 11" x 31"

NOTE: Do not use boards that are smaller than specified above unless using an appropriate jig.

3) A 3½" clock insert (we used model #15452 from http://www.klockit.com)

4) Sandpaper, glue, stain and/or paint and clear finish

5) A Dremel-type rotary tool with assorted sanding wheels and bits to sand small details and speed up preparation for finishing.

Apply stain/paint and clearcoat of your choice.
Here’s what I used on my CarveWright Mantle Clock made from Select Pine:
• Rust-Oleum Ultimate Stain - Traditional Cherry
• Several spray coats Krylon Clear Acrylic

Smoken D
12-31-2012, 06:26 PM
Great looking clock Michael. Dang, I forgot tomorrow is another month for the POM. Happy New Year!

dehrlich
12-31-2012, 06:36 PM
I'm still new here... how does one enter said contest? I wish to portray my skills in making such an item.

Bigtyme
12-31-2012, 06:45 PM
Very nice looking project... Definitely a winner... Thank you Michael. Can't wait to try it out...

dltccf
12-31-2012, 07:02 PM
Wow, that is beautiful. I have been teetering on the edge of joining the POM club, but just hadn't done it yet. This may just be enough to put me over.

dave

b.sumner47
12-31-2012, 07:34 PM
Very nice, Michael.

Capt Barry

TerryT
12-31-2012, 10:16 PM
Michael I don't know how you keep coming up with these great projects. I wish I had just a tiny bit of your energy and skill!

eelamb
12-31-2012, 10:24 PM
Nice project Michael

mtylerfl
01-01-2013, 08:00 AM
Thank you for all the nice comments. You all inspire me and I appreciate it very much! Have a great 2013 everyone!

Smoken D
01-01-2013, 09:17 AM
I'm still new here... how does one enter said contest? I wish to portray my skills in making such an item.

The project of the Month club you join. Every month for 12 months Michael developes another project for you to download and enjoy. The cost is $120 for 12 projects making each project costing $10 each. Again at the beginning of each month you will receive your project notice via e-mail and download from there. See here to join;

http://store.carvewright.com/home.php?cat=263

mtylerfl
01-01-2013, 11:05 AM
The project of the Month club you join. Every month for 12 months Michael developes another project for you to download and enjoy. The cost is $120 for 12 projects making each project costing $10 each. Again at the beginning of each month you will receive your project notice via e-mail and download from there. See here to join;

http://store.carvewright.com/home.php?cat=263

Thanks for explaining that, Smoken'!

mikemi
01-01-2013, 02:54 PM
If I was to pay the $120 tomorrow when LHR opens back up, would I get the Mantel Clock as this month's project
or would I have to wait until February to start receiving projects.

Thanks in advance,
Mike

chebytrk
01-01-2013, 04:16 PM
Hey Mike, I believe you'll get the mantel clock. Seems like I recall Connie saying that. I'll let you know cause I just paid up for my subscription today and was hoping to get the download, but since they're closed I'm hoping that I'll get it tomorrow sometime. Wish I hadn't waited so long to renew cause this one is gonna look nice..... Thanks to Michael T. for the great projects that he makes.

If I was to pay the $120 tomorrow when LHR opens back up, would I get the Mantel Clock as this month's project
or would I have to wait until February to start receiving projects.

Thanks in advance,
Mike

mikemi
01-01-2013, 05:32 PM
Hey Mike, I believe you'll get the mantel clock. Seems like I recall Connie saying that. I'll let you know cause I just paid up for my subscription today and was hoping to get the download, but since they're closed I'm hoping that I'll get it tomorrow sometime. Wish I hadn't waited so long to renew cause this one is gonna look nice..... Thanks to Michael T. for the great projects that he makes.

Thanks JerryB. I would call Connie tomorrow but I imagine there phone lines are going to be tied up for a couple of days trying to catch up.
I would appreaciate it if you could let me know. My wife wants one of the Mantel Clocks.

Mike

mathman
01-02-2013, 01:03 AM
From the online store:

Note, the first project received is whatever the current project is when your subscription is activated.

Smoken D
01-02-2013, 08:04 AM
The month you pay is the first month you start your projects. Pay in January, the January project is what you start, but give it a few days into the start of the month just in case you get started into the past month. Pay Jan 1st, you might start in the Dec project, then you may need to check with Connie. She runs the business you know 8-)

rcdages
01-02-2013, 08:42 AM
Very nice Mantle Clock.

Great project Michael.

lynnfrwd
01-02-2013, 09:24 AM
Hold off on activating Subscription until I get the January project uploaded. If you do it before I upload the new project, you will be sent last month's project and then this months after I get it uploaded.

(How many times can you say uploaded in two sentences?....oh, well, you get it.)

mikemi
01-02-2013, 05:37 PM
Hold off on activating Subscription until I get the January project uploaded. If you do it before I upload the new project, you will be sent last month's project and then this months after I get it uploaded.

(How many times can you say uploaded in two sentences?....oh, well, you get it.)

Thanks for the info Connie. I will wait until after you have uploaded the January project before I purchase the Subscription.

Mike

lynnfrwd
01-03-2013, 04:52 PM
I got it up now. You can go ahead and activate your subscription.

Connie

mikemi
01-03-2013, 08:29 PM
Thanks Connie, I will be ordering that in the next day or so.

Mike

chebytrk
01-04-2013, 08:21 AM
Just wondering if anyone else is having issue with registering the license with the Clock project. I received the download files and when I go in to Designer to update my licenses the clock project is not listed. Nothing shows up except a blank box to place a check mark.

Bigtyme
01-04-2013, 09:20 AM
I just downloaded mine and it seemed to work ok. I have had that problem in the past and waited a little and tried again with success.....

lynnfrwd
01-04-2013, 09:21 AM
If you are Window Vista, 7 or 8, make sure you open your project designer software by right-clicking on the program icon and selecting Run As Administrator.

olsenla
01-04-2013, 03:09 PM
I had that problem last night a couple of hours after I got the email saying it was available. Waited until this morning, and was able to get it no problems.

Larry

lynnfrwd
01-04-2013, 06:52 PM
Emails went out before project databases synced. I'll try to remember that next month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bigtyme
01-27-2013, 10:35 AM
I finally had the chance to try out the January POM (Just in time for the February edition, I guess ;) ). It was really a lot of fun to carve. I carved it out of ash and will let my bride pick the finish. She does most of my project finishing (thank God) and has a super eye for it. Not sure what I am going to do with it yet, but it is a great project that will look good about anywhere. Thank you for the great POM, Michael.

b.sumner47
01-27-2013, 10:44 AM
Great carve, sometimes it's nice to have an extra set of hands around. Thanks for sharing.

Capt Barry

mtylerfl
01-29-2013, 02:59 PM
John, that came out great! I love the Ash wood you chose. Thank you for the photo!

Bigtyme
01-29-2013, 03:11 PM
Thanks for the kind words, guys. It was a fun carve and a great POM.....

Bigtyme
02-16-2013, 08:29 PM
Finally got around to finishing the Mantle Clock. The clock will be donated to the local Family Literacy Auction in April. I have built them something every year for the last 15 years or so and the clock will be paired with a serving tray this year (I have it designed, but yet to be carved). I hope it raises a few dollars for them. It is an extremely worthy cause and they serve a lot of people every year....

mtylerfl
02-17-2013, 07:55 AM
Wow, John! The Oak looks great and really steps it up a few notches!

Thank you for your thoughtfulness and dedication to donate items for auction to such a worthy cause. Very commendable, indeed!

Bigtyme
02-17-2013, 08:09 AM
Thanks Michael,
The clock is actually made of ash, but it sure does look like a tighter grained oak. I usually build furniture of some type for this auction, but since I bought my CW, I really like to come up with something that may fit the pocketbooks of most of the attendees a little better. This organization is one of my favorite charities as they serve several thousand folks a year helping them learn how to read or deal with a reading impediment. I have always felt if you can't read, you will have a tough road ahead, no matter what else you have going for you.

Thank you for the kind words....You just keep doing the super job you do with the POMs and I will always haver something to put in the auction :)

dltccf
09-23-2013, 06:25 PM
Finished the mantle clock, I used select pine from the big box store and the label said it came from Sweden. It was really stringy and made for a carve that was terrible to sand and make look decent. If I do another I will try something that doesn't need stained. I actually tossed it aside months ago because of the sanding. I have no idea what kind of wood that 'pine' was but I want to use no more of it... Ever.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

SharonB
09-24-2013, 12:59 AM
It might have taken some sanding but your clock looks very nice. I especially like the clock face you used. I don't know why the US can't produce enough pine instead of all those imports. Some of the last pine I purchased came from New Zealand and it seemed softer than pine from the US or Canada.

Smoken D
09-24-2013, 07:59 AM
It does look like all the work came out great. Here in Missouri where I live pine cost me more than Oak, Walnut, Maple, or Cherry, go figure:confused:

Dan-Woodman
09-24-2013, 08:59 AM
Just call it a "protoype". The important thing is you still have the file , so maybe you can find a piece of walnut oneday and make another.

mtylerfl
09-24-2013, 12:20 PM
Finished the mantle clock, I used select pine from the big box store and the label said it came from Sweden. It was really stringy and made for a carve that was terrible to sand and make look decent. If I do another I will try something that doesn't need stained. I actually tossed it aside months ago because of the sanding. I have no idea what kind of wood that 'pine' was but I want to use no more of it... Ever.

The clock turned out great! Can't tell from the photo that you had "sanding issues".

Yeah - wood! Big Box stores never know what wood they'll get next. I have the same issues you describe, but with Poplar. I have friends who "swear" by Poplar, but the stuff we get here yields bad fuzzies when machined. Someone told me there are 30-something wood species that come under the generic title of "Poplar" (I don't know if that's true or not). I suppose different parts of the country get "good" or "bad" Poplar, depending on location and source.

I still have exceedingly good experiences with the Select Pine from my local Lowes store. Carves very well and not much prep/sanding required. Hit it with the yellow 3M wheels and I'm good to go.

SmokenD...
My source for Maple was a local cabinet shop...went to get re-supplied awhile back and found they had gone out of business. Too bad...Maple was cheaper than the Select Pine I buy at Lowes. I think I may have found another hardwood source, but an hour's drive away (Savannah). A local CW user clued me in on it about a week ago and he says I'm going to love the place!