PDA

View Full Version : How to finish a Family plaque

radman5506
12-30-2012, 06:14 PM
Hello everyone, hope you had a great Christmas.
I have made a plaque for my house and and really want to give it an exceptional look but my finishing experience leans more to either slathering with a brush and cover the whole thing or drown it with a spray paint can. I really would like somethine simple but elegant. Something I can use as more of a show piece. I welcome any suggestions. I have thought of stain with maybe gold letters??
Thanks, Tom

Capt Bruce
12-30-2012, 06:28 PM
Very nice design Tom,

As you noted simple but elegant. A couple questions to help guide your fellow Forumites. Planned for indoors or outside? Then if outdoors, undercover or exposed to rain and sunlight? What wood did you carve the sign from? If you can attach a photo it will again aid us in offering you suggestions. Please let us know.

RogerB
12-30-2012, 06:39 PM
radman have you carved this pattern very nice .What is the finnish on you house

fwharris
12-30-2012, 06:44 PM
Nice design and layout. Depending on what wood you use to carve this on and the stain you use would be my determining factor for what paint color you choose. I've found that it is easy to apply to much stain. Much better to go with light coats and as per instructions after letting it sit for several minutes wipe of the excess to get an even coating. Some times gold does not show well from a long distance.

CNC Carver
12-30-2012, 07:01 PM
I'm having trouble opening this mpc. What version was it created in?

henry1
12-30-2012, 07:33 PM
I'm having trouble opening this mpc. What version was it created in?
I am running 186 and no problem opening it

CNC Carver
12-30-2012, 07:44 PM
Thanks. I was using 1.84. I upgraded to 1.86 and opens fine.

radman5506
12-31-2012, 04:28 AM
Very nice design Tom,

As you noted simple but elegant. A couple questions to help guide your fellow Forumites. Planned for indoors or outside? Then if outdoors, undercover or exposed to rain and sunlight? What wood did you carve the sign from? If you can attach a photo it will again aid us in offering you suggestions. Please let us know.

I carved this piece on "Premium" pine from Home Depot, the same wood I used on my AMC sign which I shared a couple of weeks ago. The AMC sign has clear polyurathane on it.

My son helped remove the plaque from the car yesterday and I do not know where he put it. As far as where I will put it, as I said in my post, I plan to use it as a show piece to sell so it would probably be best to go to the extreme and prepare it for outside use with full exposure. To give you an idea I have added the picture that was my inspiration.