PDA

View Full Version : Selling your carved items

hoyaguru
02-03-2007, 12:22 PM
Greetings all. I am extremely fascinated with the Carvewright system, and would really like to get one, but I can't afford to shell out that kind of money right now. If I could justify the cost by making something I could sell, perhaps on Ebay, I would get one in a heartbeat. Has anyone been making and selling stuff with this thing, and if so, can you give me some examples of what you are making, and how much profit you make on each item? Thanks in advance!

Ropdoc
02-12-2007, 06:40 PM
I am looking for the same answer. I am trying to get out of the city and looking for a way to support myself.

Oh by the way this is my first post.

Dave

menewfy
02-12-2007, 09:43 PM
well i think you have posted in the right area and what i mean by that is this.

if you want examples of what people have made search the gallery. some people have even added to the shared patterns file, these are patterns that you may want to use for yourselves.

this machine is made and meant to be used of rhobby I believe you will find that if you intend to make it a production machine you might want to look at a more commercial machine like a shopbot (more money though)

just my thoughts as far as money goes most people in here do not discuss how much they sell things for not sure if it is a rule or just not done, either way It in my opinion would depned on what you are making and what your market thinks it is worth. ebay for example would not fetch as much as a craft show might because people at a craft show are right there and they dont have to search among all the things listed on ebay and not to mention they already like crafts, that is why they are there.

good luck, oh i will tell you one more thing before I go and that is this, if you think you can take your machine home and it wil start making you money and you will be able to produce things to sell right off. you should read this forum for atleast two weeks read every post. because while I elieve carvewright wills tand behind any issues that you might or should I say will run into you will have issues and down time until the bugs are worked out.

my machine is (hopefully) on its way back from houston as I type and it has been gone for 28 days and btw I have yet to carve anything I can even think about selling cause I have only finished one piece and it was bad.

did I mention the good luck part yet, but for osme good news there are some folks that have had nothing but good happen wiith thier machine.

sorry for using your thread to vent, but I am getting frustrated cause I like you thought I could buy this machine and make a little on the side and it has not been roses yet. when i get it back and get something done worth posting I will be glad to share.

now even though i am frustrated I am looking forward to geting it back and using it what a sap huh?

Dan-Woodman
02-12-2007, 09:57 PM
I only do woodworking partime and I wasn't even trying to sell too much , but my machine paid for itself in 6 months.
And I live in a town of only 2000 people.

tim1216
02-13-2007, 10:31 PM
I bought the machine to do the stuff that I usually had to order out. I work in the trim buisness. This unit will evetually pay for itself but that is in the future. I personally dont think you could make a living at it though unless you had abought 10 or so machines because of the carving time on most prodjects. Its more of a hobby or a shop ad on (something that will pay for itself over a bunch of small prodjects) But hey I could be wrong.... I like the machine so much I had some misfortune with 2 of them and am now on my third. This one is working fine so far.

hoyaguru
02-18-2007, 05:09 PM
Thanks for the info. I was thinking of jewelry boxes or soemthing like that, for craft fairs and Ebay. From what I've been reading though, seems that these machines need a little more time in the field, I've seen quite a few posts about having to send one back and wait for a new one. I think I'll wait a few months.