PDA

View Full Version : Sign Blanks, revisited

dehrlich
12-29-2012, 10:06 PM
I thought since things have slowed a bit, I would revisit this idea to see how much interest there would be from you all. I'm thinking I could make "sign blanks" available through my website. Probably offer 4", 6", 8" and 10" widths of red oak, hard maple, poplar, clear pine, knotty pine, cherry, walnut and maybe a few others, sold by the lineal foot. They would be surfaced on 4 sides; planed not sanded, cut to width and whatever lengths you specify. Most likely I would cut widths 1/4" wider and let you trim them. I would hate to have my settings off a bit and you be upset with me because the machine is reading them .003 too narrow. I got new pricing from my mill and could offer some pretty good pricing. What say you? Am I wasting time or would there be interest? If you buy lumber at Lowes I promise I can save you a LOT! I have shipped to Canada before, it's just a little paperwork... not a big deal.

chebytrk
12-29-2012, 10:14 PM
I get all my stuff at HD & Lowes so I may be interested.. What kind of prices? Where are you located so I can try & figure shipping costs... Unless that'll be included.

easybuilt
12-30-2012, 12:15 AM
I buy my red cedar and heart redwood from Lowes. Both are 8' X 11" x 3/4 about $17.00, they are both special order for me. I would like pricing on cherry and walnut. Thanks

will-munny
12-30-2012, 07:31 AM
I would be interested in pricing also. My local Lowes and Menards runs a little over $6 a board foot for red oak. Maple is about the same.

tierman
12-30-2012, 07:45 AM
I am always looking to get quality wood at a reasonable price. Please send prices.
Roger

Roger52
12-30-2012, 08:31 AM
I would be interested. Would like to see prices. Thanks for offering this service.

dehrlich
12-30-2012, 08:50 AM
I would be interested in pricing also. My local Lowes and Menards runs a little over $6 a board foot for red oak. Maple is about the same.

Wow $6 for red oak? I know I look at those boards everytime I go to lowes or mendards and chuckle at the pricing. It's cool that Menards offers more selection; cherry, hickory, maple, mahogany but they want paid for it. I admit I look through them sometimes, if I find a really cool board I might buy it... i'm a sucker for a pretty board.

dehrlich
12-30-2012, 09:55 AM
This is what it's looking like. This is all 4/4 stuff, planed to 3/4" unless noted.

Cherry $6.30 per BF
Hard Maple $4.60 per BF
Red Oak $3.50 per BF
White Pine knotty $2.20 per BF
White Pine clear $4.10 per BF
Poplar $2.70 per BF
Walnut $6.00 per BF
Air Dried Walnut $4.20 per BF slightly less than 3/4" thick

These are what I have right now. I am looking for other sources and if I can find cheaper prices on like cherry and walnut I will reduce my prices accordingly. Let me know what you think of these prices, are they much better than what you have been finding? These do not include shipping of course, I charge actually shipping costs... you pay what UPS charges me. It's pretty reasonable actually if you get a good quantity like 15-20 BF it divides out pretty good. I have been selling lumber for years so I know how to package and ship, lumber will arrive in good shape, never had a problem.

NOW, don't go sending me orders right now, I don't have much stock after Christmas, I been cleaned pretty good building my own projects and selling to other customers. I am putting together a stock order so thats why I'm doing this. If interest is good I will order accordingly. Oh, and if you want it rough, skip planed, random widths I can do that too, discounts will apply.

dehrlich
12-30-2012, 09:56 AM
I buy my red cedar and heart redwood from Lowes. Both are 8' X 11" x 3/4 about $17.00, they are both special order for me. I would like pricing on cherry and walnut. Thanks

Red cedar, are you talking aromatic cedar? I don't deal with anything but that kind and no redwood but I can check on it with my sources.

easybuilt
12-30-2012, 11:37 AM
Red cedar, are you talking aromatic cedar? I don't deal with anything but that kind and no redwood but I can check on it with my sources.

I was refering to western red cedar. What is the with or average width of your cherry and walnut? If we want to order, How do you want us to contact you? Thank you

dehrlich
12-30-2012, 11:52 AM
I was refering to western red cedar. What is the with or average width of your cherry and walnut? If we want to order, How do you want us to contact you? Thank you

That's what I figured... I will check with vendors after holiday. As far as orders, I'm going to set up a page on my website for orders so you can get what you want and just do a paypal payment right there, should be easy. Widths on walnut and cherry, generally FAS comes 6" or so. If I go to sawmill and get it I pick as wide as I can get, but if I order it I specify minimum 6" width. Wider boards in cherry can be tough but i've had some 12 and 14" before. On that air dried walnut most of it is 8" or better. Some don't like air dried but I haven't had a problem with stuff I have built with it and it's beautiful stuff.

dehrlich
01-01-2013, 01:35 PM
I have noticed that most people carve in Pine, Poplar or Oak... is this because you prefer these materials? Is it a cost issue? An availability issue? If you could get Walnut or Hard Maple for the same price or less would you rather use it?

I'm asking because I don't want to get a bunch of Pine or Poplar to sell for sign blanks then have people buy maple or something else because they would rather use it. Personally I have noticed the harder materials carve better. I would much rather use Maple, Walnut or Cherry than Pine or Poplar. Any help is appreciated.

I am in the process of building the page on my site so people can buy lumber by the LF and BF. It will take a bit, lots of code to do... hope to have done in a week or so. Will also be putting lumber in my Ebay store, got some special boards that need to go. Will update as needed. Happy New Year to all my carving friends!

chebytrk
01-01-2013, 04:11 PM
Although Lowes and HD carries some other wood, I mostly buy pine and a little poplar and oak every now and then. As you said, if you can furnish Walnut or Hard maple for the same price that I pay for pine, I believe I'd be interested.

I have noticed that most people carve in Pine, Poplar or Oak... is this because you prefer these materials? Is it a cost issue? An availability issue? If you could get Walnut or Hard Maple for the same price or less would you rather use it?

I'm asking because I don't want to get a bunch of Pine or Poplar to sell for sign blanks then have people buy maple or something else because they would rather use it. Personally I have noticed the harder materials carve better. I would much rather use Maple, Walnut or Cherry than Pine or Poplar. Any help is appreciated.

I am in the process of building the page on my site so people can buy lumber by the LF and BF. It will take a bit, lots of code to do... hope to have done in a week or so. Will also be putting lumber in my Ebay store, got some special boards that need to go. Will update as needed. Happy New Year to all my carving friends!

cestout
01-01-2013, 05:01 PM
Shipping is a consideration - where are you? As it is I drive about 70 miles round trip to my hardwood store at 14 to 16 mpg in my 99 Dodge 1500. I get #2 pine for test carves and some projects at HD only 16 miles round trip. I don't live near anything which is what I prefer, but you have to pay the price.
Clint

dehrlich
01-01-2013, 07:55 PM
I'm in Kansas, right in the middle of everything. Shipping is a consideration, and if you just buy a few boards it will cost you $15-20 to ship UPS ground. Thing is you can add several more and it doesn't raise the cost that much. I learned a long time ago buying lumber on Ebay, buy 1 board and pay $15, buy 5 boards from the same person and pay $22. Can also ship shorter stuff in a Flat Rate box from the post office and it's not that bad. I am always happy to give people a shipping estimate before they buy. All I need to know is what you want and your zip code, that will get you real close. Also, normal UPS charges are for packages under 60". You can ship longer for an extra $6 I think it is, that will get you 8 ft boards no problem.

unitedcases
01-01-2013, 08:52 PM
How exact are you willing to cut. I ask because if I am going to pay shipping then I would honestly like to take the lumber straight off the truck to the machine.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

dehrlich
01-02-2013, 07:56 PM
Another option is Hackberry. Don't know if anyone has ever seen or used it. It's generally cream colored but it can have all sorts of color variations. Texture is a lot like oak, stong and has kind of an irridecent glow with finish. Stains and finishs good. I mention is because it's plentiful here, and cheap... less than oak. Attaching a pic of a blanket chest I made from one hackberry board that was 22" wide and 12 ft long.

JuicyCarp
01-03-2013, 02:17 PM
Dehrlich,

You said you have aromatic cedar? In my opinion there is hardly a more beautiful wood, but I cannot seem to find much around here.

badbert
01-03-2013, 02:39 PM
I discovered a piece of Hackberry last summer. My lumber Lord didn't know what it was. It carved beautifully! I like to use Danish oil on it for color. The grain will raise on it a little bit, so I put two coats of Poly and steel wool it smooth. It really adds dimension to the grain.

dehrlich
01-03-2013, 05:02 PM
Dehrlich,

You said you have aromatic cedar? In my opinion there is hardly a more beautiful wood, but I cannot seem to find much around here.

Sure there is a good bit of that around here. I actually have several large boards that I keep around for cedar chests. They are 5/4 and still have live edge. I had some 4/4 stock but I used it all to line a closet when we did our basement remodel. I can check current pricing on it if you are interested... I believe its in the $3.50 / BF range.

Digitalwoodshop
01-03-2013, 07:33 PM
Don't forget about the Post Office Game Box, a Large Flat Rate Box with a inside of 11.75 x 3 x 23.6875.

Not all Post Offices have them.

AL

dehrlich
01-03-2013, 09:29 PM
Don't forget about the Post Office Game Box, a Large Flat Rate Box with a inside of 11.75 x 3 x 23.6875.

Not all Post Offices have them.

AL

Very true... sure I can order them from the website. Also going to try to talk UPS into a better rate tomorrow.