PDA

View Full Version : Centerline text (different kind of question)

revved_up
02-03-2007, 09:48 AM
ok guys I am fairly new to woodworking and absolutly new to the compucarve allthough I hope to lose my virginity with this tool this afternoon.

so here is the question:

centerline text seems to have everyone pretty fired up and I cant find anywhere in the faq's etc to explain exactly what it is.

could somebody tell me what is meant by centerline text.

thanks

pontiak
02-03-2007, 10:01 AM
This was from another post

David M.
02-03-2007, 11:47 AM
Centerline is simply using a Straight bit or 60 to 90* V-bit to cut letters into the surface of a board rather than CARVING with the 1/16" carving bit. Centerline also takes a quarter the time to carve, compaired to CARVING.

revved_up
02-03-2007, 12:24 PM
thanks for the help guys and thanks even more for the paitence to answer questions that some may consider common knowledge.

Digitalwoodshop
02-03-2007, 10:21 PM
David, Learned something else new.... Centerline is quicker than Raster.... Didn't know that... Thought because of a bigger bit it would make many shallow cuts in about equal time to Raster.

That's good news for my sign business.

Thanks,

AL

BobHill
02-04-2007, 09:36 AM
Al,

ALL vector is faster than ALL raster. It's the nature of how each works. Remember that vector works your bit like a plotter (like you draw an outline with a pen) while raster works like a laser or inkjet printer, by making dots (holes with height and depth changes) or not along a straight line, then moving that to the next line.

Bob