PDA

View Full Version : Dust Collector location

jeeptrix
12-28-2012, 04:11 PM
Has anyone tried to put a 4 inch dust collector hose connection in the area on the right side of the machine where the bit tray is located? This seems like it would be a perfect location that is out of the way of operating the machine.

bergerud
12-28-2012, 05:09 PM
I have seen that before. Look back in the dust collector archives.

fwharris
12-28-2012, 05:10 PM
Has anyone tried to put a 4 inch dust collector hose connection in the area on the right side of the machine where the bit tray is located? This seems like it would be a perfect location that is out of the way of operating the machine.

Look up member Kenm810, he did this a long time ago. I believe he has posted in several locations under "dust collection"

bergerud
12-28-2012, 05:15 PM
http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?9986-downdraft-table-design

jeeptrix
12-28-2012, 06:28 PM
I found his post and photos. Looks like what I had in mind. After is exits the machine just where does it go? I wonder if it is enough to just have the dust collector without the air hoses. I also like what he has done with the factory exhaust.

Why not hook up the factory exhause to a dust collector?

Digitalwoodshop
12-28-2012, 06:31 PM
I did cut a hole on the right side on one of my machines and even put a small Screen on the hole to help prevent something dangerous from getting sucked up. I found that when you lowered the head much of the frame blocks the flow and also the dust will collect on the right side jacking screw. I abandon that idea....

AL

fwharris
12-28-2012, 06:36 PM
I found his post and photos. Looks like what I had in mind. After is exits the machine just where does it go? I wonder if it is enough to just have the dust collector without the air hoses. I also like what he has done with the factory exhaust.

Why not hook up the factory exhause to a dust collector?

Ken built his own dust collector using a furnace fan mounted in the cart/box under the CW, I think that is what you are asking about??? Ken was using the air hoses to help blow the dust off of the board and towards the dust collector intake. Several in fact have routed the cut motor exhaust into their dust collection system as there is a small amount of fine dust picked up from the intake to the cut motor.

wasacop75
12-28-2012, 09:32 PM
A down draft table built with a furnace fan works decent. I also put peg board on part to use as an area for sanding. Does not get all the dust out of the machine, but may have to try the cut motor exhaust to help out.